Latest Fad: Bending iPhones At The Apple Store

HardOCP News

[H] News
Just because the iPhone 6 bends easier than other phones, that doesn't mean you should start vandalizing phones in the Apple store for funsies.

Today’s example of kids being really freaking dumb comes courtesy of two teens who decided to put the rumors of the iPhone 6 Plus bending to the test—by going into an Apple store and breaking thousands of dollars worth of hardware.

Kids gotta get their funsies somehow.
Better they do this and get a slap on the wrist then order a hooker and get her pregnant...

Off to the apple store I go.

I'm trying to think of an example here which would be similar to their stupidity.

One thing that comes to mind would be test driving a car but before you do it, you ask the salesman if the engine breaks at redline, they say no. You then proceed to just sit there in neutral redlining the engine till something breaks. Sure the car has a rev limiter but constantly being put at redline will screw up something most likely. I guess we can say the iPhone 6 is like this but will break faster than most cars sitting at redline? Not sure if this is a good example.

It's a borderline case. If owners complain that a car's transmission blows up at 70MPH but the manufacturer denies it then I don't blame a potential buyer from testing it at 70MPH even though the speed limit is 65MPH.

I'm trying to think of an example here which would be similar to their stupidity.

One thing that comes to mind would be test driving a car but before you do it, you ask the salesman if the engine breaks at redline, they say no. You then proceed to just sit there in neutral redlining the engine till something breaks. Sure the car has a rev limiter but constantly being put at redline will screw up something most likely. I guess we can say the iPhone 6 is like this but will break faster than most cars sitting at redline? Not sure if this is a good example.

Why even need a similar example? It's stupid enough on its own to not even need an example.

Slap on the wrist? They should get a kick in the nuts....

Who's going to kick apple in the nuts for selling a product that can easily bend in your pocket.

No one. More power to these kids for putting up a video. Apple is notorious for never admitting any wrongdoing whatsoever just to avoid losing $ one way or another. They seriously need to be brought down a peg.

That said I'd love a 6+ and might just get one when I can find someone who cant afford their contract. Done it many times as their products are decent. I just don't like their holier than thou attitude.

What a couple of assholes. Breaking shit just to break it, even if it's a known issue, is an asshole move.

This is the beginning of a new meme, like planking or some shit. People filming themselves bending iPhones in Apple stores. Or maybe like the ALS ice bucket challenge that everyone forgot about :

"I bend this iPhone 6 and nominate three other to do the same!"

This is the beginning of a new meme, like planking or some shit. People filming themselves bending iPhones in Apple stores. Or maybe like the ALS ice bucket challenge that everyone forgot about :

"I bend this iPhone 6 and nominate three other to do the same!"

If I saw my kid do something like that, they would be paying for it by me selling off all their shit. It's not theirs to destroy. So, they'd buy it and make it theirs. They'd own a broken iPhone, but not own much else....

Parents probably just "oh, well. Whatever.". Screw that.

What a couple of assholes. Breaking shit just to break it, even if it's a known issue, is an asshole move.

I'd say it is more about awareness than anything else. How would you react to seeing a bent as hell phone on display as opposed to one all shiny and perfect and new. For those claiming non-issue.. how come Samsung Galaxy is good for 150lbs of force but the Iphone is only good for 70lbs...

Any kind of lower build quality for the end consumer is shitty. It speaks to Apple's - throw it out and buy an entirely new one in a year mentality. Shitty.

70 lbs is the average weight of a 10 year old girl. Maybe Apple will come out with a male version of iPhone that can withstand the average weight of a skinny jean hipster so probably around 110 lbs. :p

I hope they get felony charges for this. Anyone stupid enough to do this as a teenager will be of no use to society...so fuck them and their future. Let them start paying for being a dumbass now.

So, a couple years back it was "Will it blend?"

Now it's "Will it bend?"

Hope they're never getting a hand job when someone decides to play that...

Apparently it's not a "known issue" to the Apple employees who told them it couldn't be bent.

Not that these kids aren't assholes, but Apple employees denying there's a problem are just as big of assholes.

Apparently it's not a "known issue" to the Apple employees who told them it couldn't be bent.

Not that these kids aren't assholes, but Apple employees denying there's a problem are just as big of assholes.

If you don't think the Apple employees don't know about this but are told by their bosses to say they don't bend at the risk of being fired, well the you....can finish this sentence.

If you don't think the Apple employees don't know about this but are told by their bosses to say they don't bend at the risk of being fired, well the you....can finish this sentence.

^THIS!
Been in retail for 15 year, lying and playing dumb is a requirement set by the office.

Wow, WTH is wrong with kids these days? It is like no one in this new generation of little bastards care for the property of others. I blame the parents.

I'd say it is more about awareness than anything else. How would you react to seeing a bent as hell phone on display as opposed to one all shiny and perfect and new.

That's not an excuse for breaking other peoples stuff. Just because you don't agree with something or whatever doesn't give you the right to destroy other peoples property.

I've seen broken stuff on display at stores. Laptops with smashed screens, broken controllers for gaming systems, etc.. I always think the same thing - some assholes don't know how to treat other peoples things.

You want awareness? Start a blog. Buy an iPhone 6 and bend it yourself. That way it's YOUR iPhone that you're breaking.

There is no excuse for what they did. It was wrong.

I get that it's an issue. Lots of people know about it. It was a news headline. Doesn't make sense to go do it to other peoples stuff.

It's all just a lie!!!! The iPhone 6 doesn't bend. Lies! Lies! Lies!

Today’s example of kids being really freaking dumb comes courtesy of two teens who decided to put the rumors of the iPhone 6 Plus bending to the test—by going into an Apple store and breaking thousands of dollars worth of hardware.
The kids were testing to see if the rumors were true. For Science! Apparently it's not just a bunch of hot air.

iphone 7, all new design, forged titanium, when you sit on it, you get a hip fracture

Then they can just use the titanium material from your phone to repair your fractured hip. Promote it as a recycling campaign and get tax breaks for it.

So, a couple years back it was "Will it blend?"

Now it's "Will it bend?"

Hope they're never getting a hand job when someone decides to play that...

Every new iphone is gonna get a bend test now, can't wait for the new ipad bend test...

70 lbs is the average weight of a 10 year old girl. Maybe Apple will come out with a male version of iPhone that can withstand the average weight of a skinny jean hipster so probably around 110 lbs. :p

If you could put 70lbs of force in the middle of your phone while in your pocket, I honestly think you have much better thing to worry about than your phone gets bend....

Then the bosses are assholes...*shrug*

In any case, it is a lie and they're misrepresenting the product. I would find it pretty hilarious/sad if I were there to look at one, they said it wasn't possible to bend them and then I saw the demo device already bent. :p

Exactly. The new iPhones should be in a glass case, with a "Fragile Handle with Care," sticker on them.

I know this is a jerk move, but found this to be pretty amusing. I'm sure kids will be testing out all makes and models of phones now.

Kid: Does this thing bend?
Genius: No, but all the ladies will love you if you choose an iPhone.
Kid: *Bend*
Genius: *Stunned*
Kid: lolz, I wonder how strong the Macbooks are.

Back