Latest AMD vs Nvidia DirectX12 Benchmarks

plexx

n00b
NVIDIA-and-AMD-Ashes-of-the-Singularity-DX12-New-Drivers.jpg

Source: http://www.computerbase.de/2015-10/...ashes-of-the-singularity-directx-12-1920-1080

Looks like AMD's lead with Fury X w/the medium preset just evaporated and the 970 is catching up to the 390. All this in an alpha sponsored by AMD. I wonder what the results will be in other DX 12 titles that people actually care about?

Last edited:
Looks like AMD's lead with Fury X w/the medium preset just evaporated and the 970 is catching up to the 390. All this in an alpha sponsored by AMD. I wonder what the results will be in other DX 12 titles that people actually care about?

Yeah all of those other titles , just don't hold your breath , it might take a while ...

Even if AMD sponsored the game with every last penny it earned, Nvidia could still fart ten times as much cash at the developer without a second thought, and it wouldn't cause a visible dip in their cash reserve graphs.

Even if AMD sponsored the game with every last penny it earned, Nvidia could still fart ten times as much cash at the developer without a second thought, and it wouldn't cause a visible dip in their cash reserve graphs.

Now you know why you pay more for Nvidia :)

Still not 6-12 months away from the first benchmark...good thing I bookmarked a lot of posts.

Tick, tock, tick, tock...

Looks really similar to Fable, no? 10% loss for Nvidia.
Battlefront benchmarks actually show a larger gap.

390 vs 980 Ti is on-par with current DX11 games.
Using those two as a baseline: Fury X is about 10% faster (vs 980 Ti), and 970 is about 10% slower (vs 390).

You would think a hardware problem would hurt Maxwell equally across the board. Same goes for AMD's advantage across the board.

Look at the raw numbers. It's just a shitty game.

Last edited:
I've never played a game on Medium presets. Ashes is an awesome game. I may only link benchmarks in the other thread, but there is a really nice game to be played. RTS games appeal to me for single player. If I PvP, it's only against people that I know, so I can talk shit and laugh about it.

Also the game is using OSR like CGI movies use. This is the reason for the low frame rate. In short we need better hardware from Nvidia and AMD. Like the stuff they are bragging that will power VR. Really I don't expect this game to come out of Early Access on Steam for quite awhile. But it is quite playable right now.

Looks really similar to Fable, no? 10% loss for Nvidia.
Battlefront benchmarks actually show a larger gap.

390 vs 980 Ti is on-par with current DX11 games.
Using those two as a baseline: Fury X is about 10% faster (vs 980 Ti), and 970 is about 10% slower (vs 390).

You would think a hardware problem would hurt Maxwell equally across the board. Same goes for AMD's advantage across the board.

Look at the raw numbers. It's just a shitty game.

You mean 980 as opposed to 980ti?

You mean 980 as opposed to 980ti?
No I mean the performance gap is about 35-40% between those two cards in DX11 (according to TPU) and so I normalized all the other GPUs to those results seeing as how they're pretty close to the same in DX12.

So the Fury X scales better than expected, and the 970 scales worse than expected, while the gap between both extremes (390 & 980 Ti) stayed level. Just trying to interpret the results with a maybe-pointless comparison. I would call that benchmark a disappointment for Hawaii as we've seen much better results in the past. But it's just one site.

But nvidia can't do directX 12? Why does it keep on matching or winning against AMD?

But nvidia can't do directX 12? Why does it keep on matching or winning against AMD?

Because you and other people don't know what they are talking about.
In general DX12 is not going to be a driver pissing match because al of the code is done by the game developers themselves.

This means that every game or every gaming engine will give different results but never would it mean that "drivers" can not cope with the game. The only way to sabotage a game is when you are using instructions that are not very well supported on different hardware for Ashes of the singularity it means nothing because Oxide promised to keep those paths (most optimized code for Intel AMD nvidia) separate.

Other games might not have the same philosophy but Oxide in this case is leading by example.

In general DX12 is not going to be a driver pissing match because al of the code is done by the game developers themselves.

This means that every game or every gaming engine will give different results but never would it mean that "drivers" can not cope with the game. The only way to sabotage a game is when you are using instructions that are not very well supported on different hardware for Ashes of the singularity it means nothing because Oxide promised to keep those paths (most optimized code for Intel AMD nvidia) separate.

Other games might not have the same philosophy but Oxide in this case is leading by example.

He got owned so hard, that i dont think he will argue again LOL

He got owned so hard, that i dont think he will argue again LOL

Except neither of you realised that his comment was a piss take of the AMD fan boys :p
Your sarcasm detectors need a better driver.

It was sarcasm on all the shit people posted about nv not being able to perform in DX12 games.
All I care about is performance and IQ and if I can get that I wouldn't give a crap about the code path used.

I also don't doubt that developers will follow similar philosophy as Oxide in optimizing games for NV since no one wants to not care about 50%+ gamers with nv hardware since people make games for sales.

HELLO, no, no, no, no. Go to school, read a book, and then post, nothing will change from a driver stand point, not to mention code is more fragmented now when using multi engine code, because of AMD's own hardware, from console to desktop, and with nV's hardware. Dx12 doesn't stipulate on how GPU's must do multi engine code, out side of basic guidelines, so we have a major fragmentation of code this is why we saw such varying results in the Dx12 benchmarks, it had nothing to do with in ability of said hardware to do multi engine, its just that different hardware configurations need different code even in the same IHV. So again, no, no, no.

Fiji doesn't get the same performance boost that Hawaii gets, because its ACE configuration is different but it gets some, Xbox ACE counts are less too, Tongo's configuration is different and similar to Fiji, its a cluster fuck. Same code doesn't work optimally on all hardware, wow the updated benchmarks are showing you that, driver optimizations are helping both IHV's out, what was that, they don't need to do driver optimizations anymore, WTF are you talking about? Tell AMD that they shouldn't get extra performance out of their drivers for DX12 see what the response is, the new benchmark shows that doesn't it, Fiji got a boost, Hawaii got a boost, Maxwell 2 got a similar boost. So by your thought process, AMD shouldn't get a boost, because multi engine was working fine, its not the only thing that needs to be optimized in the drivers, So again, NO, NO, NO. Stupid comments like yours are just stupid. IF you still think you are correct in your statement, explain to me why newer drivers are working better in this game for AMD hardware.

Last edited:
this is really confusing... so trolling is allowed?
last week i almost go banned not because i was trolling. just because i recomended 290x over 970gtx.

So trolling is allowed or not?

He didnt troll, he made a relevant on topic point that was correct but in a manner you do not understand.
Unfortunate.

He didnt troll, he made an on topic point that was correct but in a manner you do not understand.
Unfortunate.

You are wrong my friend: Trolling: In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into ...

He also stated that his comment was to piss AMD Users.

You are wrong my friend: Trolling: In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into ...
Again, your problem not understanding.

It was my comment and it means something different to what you just said :p
He would struggle to fit an AMD user down his ...

No wait Maxwell 2 won't do well in Dx12 games right? No wait, AMD has no advantage, because Maxwell 2 is going to do just fine in Dx12 games too. See the difference? The first point of this is how Kickasscop wrote it, the second sentence is what it really means and there is no argument there. His statement wasn't to piss of AMD users, his statement was to "look your argument of Maxwell 2 failing in Dx 12 due to poor implementation is ridiculous". Now if you get pissed off at that, well that's your problem.

I think people can't differentiate between sarcasm and trolling it seems.
Hint: Trolling has to be directed at someone.

... and that is all I have to say about that.

What is good news though is that NVidia has managed to release a driver in such a short span of time that already is giving it better performance (almost 10%+). It would be great to see how this develops further with new DX12 titles. One thing is for sure though, all these reference benchmarks are pretty meaningless since every enthusiast spending 650 on NVidia graphics for sure has an overclocked version of the card that nets it another 10-15% gain out of box. If s/he is overclocking, the results are even better.

blah blah blah blah

Dear god what I wrote about Oxide Nitrous engine is what Oxide developers said themselves.
Why do you come up with these far fetched ideas that it is about all of DX12 last time you tried this when you were telling Oxide they were using the wrong definition of batches (and you posted the definition of some other engine (good laugh btw).

Why would I care about the other things developers have to take care of in their engine, that is what they are hired for.

No wait Maxwell 2 won't do well in Dx12 games right? No wait, AMD has no advantage, because Maxwell 2 is going to do just fine in Dx12 games too. See the difference? The first point of this is how Kickasscop wrote it, the second sentence is what it really means and there is no argument there. His statement wasn't to piss of AMD users, his statement was to "look your argument of Maxwell 2 failing in Dx 12 due to poor implementation is ridiculous". Now if you get pissed off at that, well that's your problem.

This again makes no sense. Why would you piss off AMD users? Don't you have anything better to do with your life ?
And what are you on about with DX12 games what games ? What Maxwell 2 ?

Dear god what I wrote about Oxide Nitrous engine is what Oxide developers said themselves.
Why do you come up with these far fetched ideas that it is about all of DX12 last time you tried this when you were telling Oxide they were using the wrong definition of batches (and you posted the definition of some other engine (good laugh btw).

Why would I care about the other things developers have to take care of in their engine, that is what they are hired for.

Batches are batches, you don't make different definiations because of different engines. STUPID. Go read the Dx12 specifiacations on batches, or Ogl, or what not, Just because and Oxide dev who had no idea async works on nV hardware states otherwise, which was completely wrong, has his own definition of batches doesn't make it right. It wasn't async that was the problem with nV hardware lol, go figure. What is a batch, go look it up, and tell me if he is stating it right, I can tell you he wasn't, he was generalizing to reduce confusion for not so intelligible end users, which he stated, so you my friend are the not so intelligible person.
This again makes no sense. Why would you piss off AMD users? Don't you have anything better to do with your life ?
And what are you on about with DX12 games what games ? What Maxwell 2 ?
Yeah if you don't know what that means, well go read up some, instead of mental masturbation on what you think you know.

Batches are batches, you don't make different definiations because of different engines. STUPID. Go read the Dx12 specifiacations on batches, or Ogl, or what not, Just because and Oxide dev who had no idea async works on nV hardware states otherwise, which was completely wrong, has his own definition of batches doesn't make it right. It wasn't async that was the problem with nV hardware lol, go figure. What is a batch, go look it up, and tell me if he is stating it right, I can tell you he wasn't, he was generalizing to reduce confusion for not so intelligible end users, which he stated, so you my friend are the not so intelligible person.
Yeah if you don't know what that means, well go read up some, instead of mental masturbation on what you think you know.

This is laughable at best. There are no DX12 games there are tech demo/benchmarks. The bulk of games will use different engines different rendering techniques that will make predicting performance as much as trying to forecast the weather.

But good job sticking to it...

This is laughable at best. There are no DX12 games there are tech demo/benchmarks. The bulk of games will use different engines different rendering techniques that will make predicting performance as much as trying to forecast the weather.

But good job sticking to it...

What you are the one that is stating, I'm stating the contrary to what you stated lol, WTF is wrong with you? What you can't tell me driver optimizations for Dx12 don't need to be done, you can't tell anyone that, and these benchmarks show that, driver versions are making a big difference in Dx12 and for AMD too, not just nV! So why don't you counter what I stated to what you stated. Hence actually try to make your fallacious statement of IHV's don't need to optimize for Dx12 because Dev's will do it for them bullshit, look a bit better.

I don't care if its a full game or not, apparently this pre benchmark is very important to AMD and nV, because they sure are making driver optimizations for Dx12 for this "pre alpha bench".

I don't care if its a full game or not, apparently this pre benchmark is very important to AMD and nV, because they sure are making driver optimizations for Dx12 for this "pre alpha bench".

The pre alpha bench that ships retail version this Thursday (steam early access)? Anyone would want their DX12 to work well and that it requires more work at the start because of maturity of DX12 is normal. Same thing happened to Mantle....

You guys are free to debate the topic all day long, but dont forget about rule #1...

(1) Absolutely NO FLAMING, NAME CALLING OR PERSONAL ATTACKS. Mutual respect and civilized conversation is the required norm.

Back to topic, everything seems inline with current games in DX12.

The real issue here is AMD's DX 11 performance.

As much as AMD supporters like to use this game to show how good AMD cards are at DX12.

When the game actually launch, people who actually care about this game, you know, like to play the game and not to benchmark, are either going to have to move to windows 10 or get an nvidia card as AMD cards are sooooooo bad under windows 7 and 8.
Edit/Delete Message

If you're a so called gamer and refuse to move to the newest OS which will have the best support, then those people aren't a customer for Intel, AMD, Nvidia, etc. The world will not stay in the Stone Age for stragglers.

If you're a so called gamer and refuse to move to the newest OS which will have the best support, then those people aren't a customer for Intel, AMD, Nvidia, etc. The world will not stay in the Stone Age for stragglers.

Windows 10 needs to prove it has best experience for gamers first, Win 8 never did, so many never touched it. Blindly jumping into latest doesn't make you cutting edge or smart.

And so far Windows 10 does nothing but making mods and graphic tool such as reshade making them not working on existing games.

Windows 10 needs to prove it has best experience for gamers first, Win 8 never did, so many never touched it. Blindly jumping into latest doesn't make you cutting edge or smart.

And so far Windows 10 does nothing but making mods and graphic tool such as reshade making them not working on existing games.

Then learn to deal with old drivers and don't expect expedient support. There is a consequence for every action. If you know that the PC industry upgraded to Win 10 for FREE, and you're too stubborn; I don't feel sorry for you. I just don't. Figure out what you need to do to make your gear work for you.

The big tech companies have moved ahead.

Considering 980ti overclocks on average 20% more compared to the Fury x those graphs don't tell the whole truth

?

reshade and sweetfx work just fine for me on win10.

Similar statements were made about vista as well. Windows 10 needs to come out of public beta for it to be considered a gamer's platform but this would be mildly off topic in this thread so I will reserve such comments for elsewhere.

Back on topic what effects in IQ do you get by running DX12 code over DX11 code. Is the performance hit worth the IQ improvement since there is clearly no speed enhancements. (Talking about NV hardware in epic preset)

Similar statements were made about vista as well. Windows 10 needs to come out of public beta for it to be considered a gamer's platform but this would be mildly off topic in this thread so I will reserve such comments for elsewhere.

Back on topic what effects in IQ do you get by running DX12 code over DX11 code. Is the performance hit worth the IQ improvement since there is clearly no speed enhancements. (Talking about NV hardware in epic preset)

Sadly that statement holds little to no meaning where DX10 is just something which was questionable at best and Vista was not really something that you could consider being an upgrade.

Where Windows 10 allows your videocard to really do a lot more then is ever possible it should free game developers to make games as Ashes of the Singularity. Where you assume it is IQ it allows a lot more.

Soooo a DX12 tech demo has similar deltas as our current DX11 games between respective cards.

That's boring. Not sure what the rest of this thread was about. :D

And that Win 10 talk which is somewhat related... I'll stay on Win 7 until Win 10 is actually an improvement (likely when a DX 12 game launches that I care about). Jumping to Win 10 right now seems premature considering it's not quite polished yet. I'll avoid the "fix it till it's broken" this time.

Back