Laser Printer Suggestions

Been using this MFC-L2710DW now for about a week. I haven't printed much... probably 10 sheets or so, but so far it's quick and reasonably good quality.

I also am in the midst of doing my taxes, so I used the ADF scanner and flatbed scanner quite a bit this weekend. I cannot seem to figure out how to do 2-sided scanning with the ADF though. The online user manual says to go into the advanced scan settings in Control Center 4 and check the '2-sided scanning' box, but that checkbox doesn't exist in the settings. I've looked everywhere in the bundle of software that came with the scanner, and I see no mention of 2-sides scanning. Is it possible this feature was disabled in a firmware update? That would seem really odd if so.

If I don't have 2-sided scanning, I'm probably going to either return this for a different machine that offers that feature or just buy a dedicated scanner. I'm not sure which would be the better option, but this printer was only a mere $200. So it could just serve as the workhorse printer while a dedicated scanner could handle the big scan jobs.

Yep, per the specs, it does not do duplex copy. That is one feature my HP has that really is nice. It scans both sides of the page at the same time.

1620055798455.png

You should check out some new software, there are some free options for scanning. I wouldn't return the printer for an issue like this. Double sided scanning with a single sided scanner is 100% software, and widely available.
Ah I see. I didn't realize that you could really get any kind of advanced functionality through third party software.

I just went into PDF XChange Editor, and it can do manual interweaving and reverse-interweaving. I tested it out with 2 sheets, numbered 1, 2, 3, 4 front to back. The resulting PDF was interweaved, but the sheets were ordered 1, 4, 3, 2 lol. Guess those Canadians that make this software have some bugs to fix. It also wants to default to the flatbed (can't detect a document in ADF or be set to default on ADF).

So maybe it's worth looking into another free program. Got any recommendations?

Ah I see. I didn't realize that you could really get any kind of advanced functionality through third party software.

I just went into PDF XChange Editor, and it can do manual interweaving and reverse-interweaving. I tested it out with 2 sheets, numbered 1, 2, 3, 4 front to back. The resulting PDF was interweaved, but the sheets were ordered 1, 4, 3, 2 lol. Guess those Canadians that make this software have some bugs to fix. It also wants to default to the flatbed (can't detect a document in ADF or be set to default on ADF).

My scanner has firmware that does this so I've never had reason to look, but Google pulled up some options.

Naps2 I would start with. Paperscan free looks like it might work as well.
I cant test it for you because my hardware has duplex processing ability.

Also my guess with your issue above is that you scanned the sheets backwards. There should be an option to allow this, otherwise you would have to flip each page manually.

Also check out PDF SAM (split and merge), I believe it may have some options for doing what you want. Not scanning software specifically, but it might be able to interleave your scans properly for you

Does it scan both sides simultaneously, or does it auto-refeed and scan both sides 1 page at a time?
My HP does both sides same time when it passes it. It uses the scanner on the glass and the lid. I'm sure Brother has one similar but it usually costs a bit extra to get that feature.

Base on my own personal experience the Brothers MFC 2740 has lasted me 5+years and still going. Never had a problem with it so far.

Hello All,

I have been considering buying a 3D printer for a long time now but one of my friends has a 3D Printing business with high-end machines and so I have been doing all my printing through him. However, I think I want to finally just do it and one of the problems I have been having is narrowing down my search.

Here is what I would like to consider:
This is really for hobby use, so single color is ok
Accuracy is not too big a concern but more is better
Price within a few thousand dollars...I can always use a $60k machine through my colleague.
Decent print volume.
Robustness and ease of use...I don't want to be fighting clogged nozzles and breakdowns. I have plenty of other things to do with my time.

If any of you have experience in this area please post your recommendations with links so I can read up on the hardware.
Make new threads, not necro....

Back