Laser Printer Suggestions

fatryan

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm looking to replace my wife and my cheapo 'ink-cartridge-eating' Epson and HP printers. My wife works 100% from home, and I'm 100% from home for at least the next few weeks. We really need to get a good printer/scanner in the house for both of us to use. She mostly works with 8.5x11 documents. I sometimes print 22x34 drawings to 11x17 for review and markup, so I would really like the ability to print 11x17. The drawings are illegible on 8.5x11. I'm thinking we would work with a budget up to $1k, but that is somewhat flexible. That said, we are also house shopping at the moment, so I'm not dropping $5k on a new printer any time soon. If its a nice one for $1500+, we would certainly consider it.

The printer must have the following features:
1) Laser printer (or very efficient ink/toner printer)
2) Multi-sheet document scanner capable of 2-sided scanning
3) Additional flatbed scanner for items that cannot fit through the scanner roller feed
4) Wi-Fi connectivity

The following are features that we would strongly prefer but aren't necessary:
1) Ability to print up to 11x17, with 11x17 feed tray that's separate from the 8.5x11 tray
2) Color printing
3) Duplex printing
4) High-speed scanning
5) Scan-to-PDF without the use of third-party software

We would be printing from Win10 devices, if drivers have any impact on printer choices.

What makes/models would you suggest we look at? If it's wiser to look at separate devices (i.e., dedicated printer & dedicated scanner, dedicated laser printer & all-in-one for everything else), we would be open to that as well.

Well, 11x17 hurts your choices, because not many printers can do that especially ones for home. HP and Brother make great Laser AIO machines B&W and Color. My HP M477fdw is going on 5 years old now, and been a solid printer since. If you need 11x17 occasionally I'd go to Office Depot or places that can print that for you. It's not worth the cost to buy one for home. Most buy a copier to do that for a business. But Canon, HP, Xerox, Brother all make a few printers that can do 11x17

Reactions: travm
like this
Well, 11x17 hurts your choices, because not many printers can do that especially ones for home. HP and Brother make great Laser AIO machines B&W and Color. My HP M477fdw is going on 5 years old now, and been a solid printer since. If you need 11x17 occasionally I'd go to Office Depot or places that can print that for you. It's not worth the cost to buy one for home.
That's fine. I can forgo the 11x17 print option. I have dual 34" monitors, which makes viewing the PDFs much more manageable anyway.

The specs on that HP look pretty good. How often are you replacing the toner on it?

Well, I replaced all the cartridges twice so far, first two times was with starter cartridges I got off ebay (sealed new ones) and it took me 2 years each on those. I now have refills off Amazon in it, that have been solid, and still show full. They are the XL ones so I shouldn't need to replace them anytime soon. I am sure they have newer models out there today of mine. I also kept going through inkjet/officejet printers and got fed up with the inks, and always clogging. Laser is so much nicer to use, as long as you don't need photo glossy quality. :)

Here is where I got the toner from.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H8TSRH8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Not a direct answer. I do agree with the whole 11 x 17 support. I have a M452dw (HP). It can do up to 8.5 x 14 (legal size). Mine just has one paper load tray. Sometimes there are options for more.

Regardless...

We divorced ourselves from all-in-one MFPs. Why? By separating the functions you don't have to toss "everything" because of one bad thing.

We use a Canon ScanFront for scanning. You load, scan and it sends the resulting PDF to a network share for pickup. Same ScanFront has been in place for multiple printer replaces.

Your choice though.

Laser printers, like Inkjets, are now "throwaways"... that is, after 3 or so toner/ink replaces, you can consider tossing the whole printer and buying new (because new comes with at least starter cartridges). YMMV if using cheaper toner/ink. But still, maybe becomes throwaway still after 6 or so replaces.

Greta doesn't like printer manufacturers....

Well, I replaced all the cartridges twice so far, first two times was with starter cartridges I got off ebay (sealed new ones) and it took me 2 years each on those. I now have refills off Amazon in it, that have been solid, and still show full. They are the XL ones so I shouldn't need to replace them anytime soon. I am sure they have newer models out there today of mine. I also kept going through inkjet/officejet printers and got fed up with the inks, and always clogging. Laser is so much nicer to use, as long as you don't need photo glossy quality. :)

Here is where I got the toner from.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H8TSRH8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
We will pretty much never be printing photos. This is primarily going to be used for FDA forms, engineering plans, specs, etc. Very little color printing is needed, but higher speed printing and duplex printing is important. Also, relatively good resolution printing will be needed for my work, but I kind of suspect that the bottom end printers are already sufficient in that area anyway.

So you don't have any issues running third-party toner? I heard the manufacturers were also chipping the toner drums like they do with ink cartridges. My Epson will say its out of ink about 1/2 way through a cartridge, and it absolutely will not print anything until you replace the cartridge. Its totally obnoxious.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Not a direct answer. I do agree with the whole 11 x 17 support. I have a M452dw (HP). It can do up to 8.5 x 14 (legal size). Mine just has one paper load tray. Sometimes there are options for more.

Regardless...

We divorced ourselves from all-in-one MFPs. Why? By separating the functions you don't have to toss "everything" because of one bad thing.

We use a Canon ScanFront for scanning. You load, scan and it sends the resulting PDF to a network share for pickup. Same ScanFront has been in place for multiple printer replaces.

Your choice though.

Laser printers, like Inkjets, are now "throwaways"... that is, after 3 or so toner/ink replaces, you can consider tossing the whole printer and buying new (because new comes with at least starter cartridges). YMMV if using cheaper toner/ink. But still, maybe becomes throwaway still after 6 or so replaces.

Not a bad idea to get separate devices for printing and scanning, especially if we can get more advanced scan technology using a dedicated scanner. It looks like a basic dedicated monochrome laser printer can be had for pretty damn cheap, so maybe I should just look into finding a good dedicated scanner.

We will pretty much never be printing photos. This is primarily going to be used for FDA forms, engineering plans, specs, etc. Very little color printing is needed, but higher speed printing and duplex printing is important. Also, relatively good resolution printing will be needed for my work, but I kind of suspect that the bottom end printers are already sufficient in that area anyway.

So you don't have any issues running third-party toner? I heard the manufacturers were also chipping the toner drums like they do with ink cartridges. My Epson will say its out of ink about 1/2 way through a cartridge, and it absolutely will not print anything until you replace the cartridge. Its totally obnoxious.
No issues at all with these cartridges. They were definitely heavier than the starter ones I had. Lots of good reviews from the one I got them from which was key to me trying refills. Refills can be good, as long as you have a good company doing them properly. I use to repair printers early in my IT career, from Samsung, HP, Lexmark, Canon, Okidata, etc, that I pretty much know what printers I trust and don't. Yes, many are throw away as someone else mentioned, but a lot of the business class printers are still good machines and will last you years. The ones under $200 are the throw aways. The ones $400 or higher are the ones that should last.

I personally don't have the space for multiple devices to have it all separate. I also like the FAX compatibility of the machine. I use a Magic Jack phone line with it, and it works great.

Not a bad idea to get separate devices for printing and scanning, especially if we can get more advanced scan technology using a dedicated scanner. It looks like a basic dedicated monochrome laser printer can be had for pretty damn cheap, so maybe I should just look into finding a good dedicated scanner.
Keep in mind, it will probably be more difficult for you to use it as a copier, or fax machine. That is why I like MFPs, you can use it for much more, without having to scan it to a file, then print it.

Keep in mind, it will probably be more difficult for you to use it as a copier, or fax machine. That is why I like MFPs, you can use it for much more, without having to scan it to a file, then print it.
I ended up pulling the trigger on a Brother MFC-L2710DW. I was fully expecting to shell out more for a device, but this thing seems to be pretty highly regarded for the price. I cross posted on SNB forums and a couple other forums, and this model came up a couple different times. It's only monochrome, but it's supposedly quite efficient with toner. Some have stated it will take third-party drums since it's a few years old, so that should make it even more efficient. It's a mere $200 and comes with flat panel and ADF scanners. Seems like a good deal to me. And if the scanners don't meet my needs, i can always just buy a dedicated scanner at a later date. We have the room for multiple devices, so that's not a concern of ours. We don't have much need for copying and no need for faxing. We only use the print and scan functions for the most part.

I Agree with this entirely, Dont do a ton of printing at home, have a Canon all in one laser (model escapes me, it was cheap) and its still on the starter cartridge 3 years in. Unfortunately with all our high tech toys, they are complex, and its hard and expensive to make parts easily replaceable (don't forget you're still making waste by tossing worn out parts, that are larger and more expensive). Turns out everyone would prefer things designed to last as long as possible, using sealed assemblies and cheap by using push to connect fittings that make assembly by robots possible, but disassembly is not. I'm not sure we're really creating more waste, as the actual construction is more efficient, and your still creating waste by replacing parts anyway.

I Agree with this entirely, Dont do a ton of printing at home, have a Canon all in one laser (model escapes me, it was cheap) and its still on the starter cartridge 3 years in. Unfortunately with all our high tech toys, they are complex, and its hard and expensive to make parts easily replaceable (don't forget you're still making waste by tossing worn out parts, that are larger and more expensive). Turns out everyone would prefer things designed to last as long as possible, using sealed assemblies and cheap by using push to connect fittings that make assembly by robots possible, but disassembly is not. I'm not sure we're really creating more waste, as the actual construction is more efficient, and your still creating waste by replacing parts anyway.
I think throwing away a printer every couple years is much more wasteful than throwing away a few ink cartridges or toner drums. It seems to me that the reason the industry has gone this way and the reason the manufacturers are locking down cartridges and drums is purely for profit. Printers are becoming irrelevant with more advanced screen technology, mobile computing, etc. To sell printers, they need to make them super cheap. The manufacturers are probably taking a hit on the device itself, and they intend to recoup the losses by forcing consumers to buy exorbitantly priced cartridges and drums and programming their devices to quickly use ink/toner and prematurely say they need replacing. But that seems to leave a big void between low and high end products. It's either a couple hundred bucks for a throw-away device or a couple thousand for a business model. I don't see much in between those price points.

My point is that there is wear and tear on parts on a laser. The printing companies have made it easier to toss them by making the cost between the printer and supplies too close to one another.

Keep the "old laser" does mean higher risk and/or higher cost. Again, not thinking about "the planet", but more about productivity and economics.

like this
My point is that there is wear and tear on parts on a laser. The printing companies have made it easier to toss them by making the cost between the printer and supplies too close to one another.

Keep the "old laser" does mean higher risk and/or higher cost. Again, not thinking about "the planet", but more about productivity and economics.
I guess this is a bit outside my wheel house, considering I've never owned a laser printer before... only operated them at work. I didn't realize there were maintenance costs associated with their use outside of replacing toner drums.

Regardless...

Your choice though.

I agree. I freaking hate printers. They always get paper jams. Ink carts are stupid expansive. I really hate this HP I have atm at work. It will not let you print anything of any of the carts are out. Not even black. Also somehow the HP software decided to update itself even tho my company laptop is lock down and now requires me to make a cloud and I have to be signed into the account to even print/scan locally. I had nothing but bad experiences with HP printers. I went office space years ago my personal HP printer that refused to work the one time I needed it too at home. Never brought a printer for home use since.

I agree. I freaking hate printers. They always get paper jams. Ink carts are stupid expansive. I really hate this HP I have atm at work. It will not let you print anything of any of the carts are out. Not even black. Also somehow the HP software decided to update itself even tho my company laptop is lock down and now requires me to make a cloud and I have to be signed into the account to even print/scan locally. I had nothing but bad experiences with HP printers. I went office space years ago my personal HP printer that refused to work the one time I needed it too at home. Never brought a printer for home use since.
Paper Jam

PC Load Letter

I guess this is a bit outside my wheel house, considering I've never owned a laser printer before... only operated them at work. I didn't realize there were maintenance costs associated with their use outside of replacing toner drums.
There are a number of wear components. Making them all replaceable makes them larger and more expensive. I haven't done a study on it, but i would bet its just as much or even more waste. Laser printers are not going to destroy the planet.

I think throwing away a printer every couple years is much more wasteful than throwing away a few ink cartridges or toner drums. It seems to me that the reason the industry has gone this way and the reason the manufacturers are locking down cartridges and drums is purely for profit. Printers are becoming irrelevant with more advanced screen technology, mobile computing, etc. To sell printers, they need to make them super cheap. The manufacturers are probably taking a hit on the device itself, and they intend to recoup the losses by forcing consumers to buy exorbitantly priced cartridges and drums and programming their devices to quickly use ink/toner and prematurely say they need replacing. But that seems to leave a big void between low and high end products. It's either a couple hundred bucks for a throw-away device or a couple thousand for a business model. I don't see much in between those price points.
https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/produc...sL55505z6Sl_CgrHNZhoCcQIQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Something like this, blows inkjets all to hell.

There are a number of wear components. Making them all replaceable makes them larger and more expensive. I haven't done a study on it, but i would bet its just as much or even more waste. Laser printers are not going to destroy the planet.
Yeah, that's not really my worry at all lol. If we're going to complain about hydrocarbons, printers are the least of our concerns.

Yeah, that's not really my worry at all lol. If we're going to complain about hydrocarbons, printers are the least of our concerns.
The last place I worked had a laser plotter, it was designed to be servicable and long lasting. Every part could be replaced (we replaced lots of parts). It cost $18,000.00...
When things are designed to be serviceable, its often lost on people that they actually dont last as long. They have to be built heavier (more wear), and compromises are made in order to make things replaceable. The "throw-away" printers like the one I linked above are really as good as it gets for home/small business.

The last place I worked had a laser plotter, it was designed to be servicable and long lasting. Every part could be replaced (we replaced lots of parts). It cost $18,000.00...
When things are designed to be serviceable, its often lost on people that they actually dont last as long. They have to be built heavier (more wear), and compromises are made in order to make things replaceable. The "throw-away" printers like the one I linked above are really as good as it gets for home/small business.
Yeah, but you're never gonna find a throw away plotter lol. Businesses need reliability, so they'll pay the premium for higher end equipment and the service to go with it. I'm not familiar with the plotters we have at my company, since i almost never plot full sized and that's IT's and the partners' concern. But our standup AIO used by my group has to be a solid $5-8k. It's probably out of service once every couple months, so...better than most, in my experience lol. It's only a couple years old though...

Yeah, but you're never gonna find a throw away plotter lol. Businesses need reliability, so they'll pay the premium for higher end equipment and the service to go with it. I'm not familiar with the plotters we have at my company, since i almost never plot full sized and that's IT's and the partners' concern. But our standup AIO used by my group has to be a solid $5-8k. It's probably out of service once every couple months, so...better than most, in my experience lol. It's only a couple years old though...
HP makes all kinds of throw away plotters. They arent "cheap". But they are compared to 18K machines.

Carbon producing units. Where's Nomad (the Tan Ru edition) when you need it most?

Like I mentioned before, there are different level Laser Printers, cheap and small/medium business and enterprise. Anything higher from Small/Medium to enterprise are built to last. And you can buy parts to swap out to keep them going. Not all printers are throw aways.

Yep, but at least they are serviceable. The Fuser, transfer belt or roller, pickup rollers, and pads, laser assembly, all can be replaced on medium and up model of laser printers like the one I have. The more you spend, the more serviceable it is.

HP makes all kinds of throw away plotters. They arent "cheap". But they are compared to 18K machines.
Shit, you aren't kidding. I just assumed there's no way they would ever make a cheapo plotter, but I was definitely wrong...$900 for a plotter is crazy.

like this
Like I mentioned before, there are different level Laser Printers, cheap and small/medium business and enterprise. Anything higher from Small/Medium to enterprise are built to last. And you can buy parts to swap out to keep them going. Not all printers are throw aways.
A midsize business printer used to cost $3000 USD+, now they are less than $500 USD for the same class. That's my point. Regardless, some of those "parts and repairs" can run easily over $100 USD, which again, supports my point. Are they built to last? Yes, but not everything can last... even on a high end printer. The guts can last, but if you're shelling out $100 here and there... for a printer that could be better for $500 new and get you some toner included.... the printer world has created landfill.

Shit, you aren't kidding. I just assumed there's no way they would ever make a cheapo plotter, but I was definitely wrong...$900 for a plotter is crazy.
We had a boneyard at work. Went through 5-10 before one that wasnt a cheap peice of shit was bought. We printed a lot.. Like a lot.

We had a boneyard at work. Went through 5-10 before one that wasnt a cheap peice of shit was bought. We printed a lot.. Like a lot.
Now that I think about it, last time I was at my parents I noticed my dad bought a plotter. He's notoriously cheap, so I'm sure it was one of those sub-$1000 models. He runs his own civil engineering firm from home, so he needs some way of plotting full-sized sheets.

Now that I think about it, last time I was at my parents I noticed my dad bought a plotter. He's notoriously cheap, so I'm sure it was one of those sub-$1000 models. He runs his own civil engineering firm from home, so he needs some way of plotting full-sized sheets.
Yeah, I'm not sure the economics makes sense. Being able to reprint screw ups is the only plus i can see. I can send files to the local print shop and for less than $20 have a couple large format print outs. Just notice all your mistakes before you send it for printing, cause do overs take time. I'm pretty sure printing to those inkjet dumpsters costs that much or more in ink and paper. Nevermind space, power, tripping over the cord and spilling your coffee onto your new trackball, etc.

Yeah, I'm not sure the economics makes sense. Being able to reprint screw ups is the only plus i can see. I can send files to the local print shop and for less than $20 have a couple large format print outs. Just notice all your mistakes before you send it for printing, cause do overs take time. I'm pretty sure printing to those inkjet dumpsters costs that much or more in ink and paper. Nevermind space, power, tripping over the cord and spilling your coffee onto your new trackball, etc.
I can't speak for my dad's industry (land development), but in my industry (bridge design) we basically only print full size for the final design and/or final greenline. There's no money in transportation, so we can't even print 8.5x11 in color without a project to bill it to lol.

Knowing my dad, he definitely intends to use this plotter for at least the next 10 years. I'm sure he's already done a cost estimate on it - including upfront and maintenance costs - and deemed it cheaper than driving to the nearest print shop. He literally tracks the cost of everything in his life, from business expenses, to gas, to clothes, to coffee. But he also expects everything to be built like it was back in the day. He's not super tech savvy at 66 😂

That's cool, I've always been mechanical, and the shop always wants new drawings. They love 36x48 too, I think because they catch fire easier beside the welder. We would print miles of paper, it's all overhead, and being custom work everything is quoted safe. More money is spent talking about printers than actually buying and printing. Time being money and all.

I have a Brother L2300D. It was dirt cheap and very reliable. I had to change the drum once over the course of maybe 20000-30000 pages. The only problem is that it says it's out of toner when it's not even close to being out. There's a hack to bypass that.

A midsize business printer used to cost $3000 USD+, now they are less than $500 USD for the same class. That's my point. Regardless, some of those "parts and repairs" can run easily over $100 USD, which again, supports my point. Are they built to last? Yes, but not everything can last... even on a high end printer. The guts can last, but if you're shelling out $100 here and there... for a printer that could be better for $500 new and get you some toner included.... the printer world has created landfill.
Not sure where you get your numbers but that isn't true. Printers back in the day use to only cost around $1200-1800 (HP 4000 series as an example) for businesses. Been doing IT for 30 years. They may have gotten a little cheaper than that today, but still have replaceable parts on them. Like I said, stop buying the cheap printers if you want it to last.

Not sure where you get your numbers but that isn't true. Printers back in the day use to only cost around $1200-1800 (HP 4000 series as an example) for businesses. Been doing IT for 30 years. They may have gotten a little cheaper than that today, but still have replaceable parts on them. Like I said, stop buying the cheap printers if you want it to last.
I was talking color. Sorry.

Been using this MFC-L2710DW now for about a week. I haven't printed much... probably 10 sheets or so, but so far it's quick and reasonably good quality.

I also am in the midst of doing my taxes, so I used the ADF scanner and flatbed scanner quite a bit this weekend. I cannot seem to figure out how to do 2-sided scanning with the ADF though. The online user manual says to go into the advanced scan settings in Control Center 4 and check the '2-sided scanning' box, but that checkbox doesn't exist in the settings. I've looked everywhere in the bundle of software that came with the scanner, and I see no mention of 2-sides scanning. Is it possible this feature was disabled in a firmware update? That would seem really odd if so.

If I don't have 2-sided scanning, I'm probably going to either return this for a different machine that offers that feature or just buy a dedicated scanner. I'm not sure which would be the better option, but this printer was only a mere $200. So it could just serve as the workhorse printer while a dedicated scanner could handle the big scan jobs.

Been using this MFC-L2710DW now for about a week. I haven't printed much... probably 10 sheets or so, but so far it's quick and reasonably good quality.

I also am in the midst of doing my taxes, so I used the ADF scanner and flatbed scanner quite a bit this weekend. I cannot seem to figure out how to do 2-sided scanning with the ADF though. The online user manual says to go into the advanced scan settings in Control Center 4 and check the '2-sided scanning' box, but that checkbox doesn't exist in the settings. I've looked everywhere in the bundle of software that came with the scanner, and I see no mention of 2-sides scanning. Is it possible this feature was disabled in a firmware update? That would seem really odd if so.

If I don't have 2-sided scanning, I'm probably going to either return this for a different machine that offers that feature or just buy a dedicated scanner. I'm not sure which would be the better option, but this printer was only a mere $200. So it could just serve as the workhorse printer while a dedicated scanner could handle the big scan jobs.
Two sided scanning on these machines typically isnt automatic. you scan the stack, then flip and scan again. The software interleaves the two scans into one. I'm not familar with your specific machine but if you're expecting it to automatically refeed the sheets and scan the opposite side like a more expensive unit, you're doing it wrong.

Two sided scanning on these machines typically isnt automatic. you scan the stack, then flip and scan again. The software interleaves the two scans into one. I'm not familar with your specific machine but if you're expecting it to automatically refeed the sheets and scan the opposite side like a more expensive unit, you're doing it wrong.
I don't mind having to manually flip the stack, but I don't even see an option for interweaving sheets. There's absolutely no mention of anything related to 2-sided scanning in the settings menus.

This weekend I had to do it manually in PDF XChange Editor. That's fine for like 5-10 sheets, but I'm not doing that on a 50 page stack. That takes way too long.

I don't mind having to manually flip the stack, but I don't even see an option for interweaving sheets. There's absolutely no mention of anything related to 2-sided scanning in the settings menus.

This weekend I had to do it manually in PDF XChange Editor. That's fine for like 5-10 sheets, but I'm not doing that on a 50 page stack. That takes way too long.
You should check out some new software, there are some free options for scanning. I wouldn't return the printer for an issue like this. Double sided scanning with a single sided scanner is 100% software, and widely available.

Back