Largest open gameworld?

criccio

Fully Equipped
I must say, Just Cause 2 has such a mindbogglingly large game area that its almost overwhelming. I'm fairly certain it would take a couple days to get across of it if did it on foot. That is without any loading times keep in mind...

Any other games out there with huge open game areas?

Oblivion had what I thought was a large area but it no longer even compares..

WOW? ... yea I know, I went there.

JC 2 is indeed HUGE... Speaking of oblivion, I had a friend who spent 100 hours on it before realizing you could fast travel.

Morrowind - 10 square miles
GTA San Andreas - 12 square miles
Oblivion - 16 square miles
Just Cause 2 - 385 square miles
Fuel - 5,560 square miles
Daggerfall - 62,394 square miles

Daggerfall is the biggest by far, it's randomly generated though.

Yea I did some googleing after making this thread and I'm finding out Daggerfall is the reigning champ (although I don't agree because its randomly generated). I may have to get my hands on FUEL just to get a feel for how big it is.

Daggerfall is crazy huge. If you take MMO's into account EQ1 might be rather large now after 15 expansions, although im not sure how they are connected or even if zone lines fit into your idea of open world.

Yea I'm not going to count EVE. Lets keep this to square mileage not cubic mileage ;)

Its hard to count Daggerfall with its randomly generated terrain and its very simplistic graphics by today's standards.

I am quite impressed by Just Cause 2, if you told me it was a next-gen game, I would have believed you! :)

Battleground Europe...

First MMOFPS

Size: 11583 square miles (half scale of western europe, with accurate terrain using satellite data.)

GTA San Andreas - 12 square miles
Daggerfall - 62,394 square miles

Daggerfall is the biggest by far, it's randomly generated though.

Add Far Cry 2 at 19.3 square miles, Two Worlds at 16.2 square miles, and S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl at about 11.5. I can only find arguments about Fallout 3's game area, but it seems to be about 14 to 16 square miles.

I hadn't heard about Fuel; wikipedia comments that it's criticized for being mostly empty and uninteresting. Someone commented in this thread that Just Cause 2 is "the same four or five settlements pasted thousands of times".

Obviously, once you get past a certain amount of game area, the production staff is forced to copy-and-paste methods. Far Cry 2 was bigger, but the way it was split in half into two gameworlds with similar plots felt a little duplicated. Oblivion had a lot of places that felt a lot alike.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl is, I think, one of the largest game worlds I've played that didn't ever feel copy-and-pasted anywhere. Please play it with the Stalker Complete 2012 mod.

Wow San Andreas was 12 square miles!!?? I can't even imagine how big Daggerfall is. I used to spend hours playing San Andreas in the Country area.

As apposed to Oblivion, Morrowind (especially with Mods) is incredibly well designed and you feel every inch of it.

I think it should be noted that there is a difference between perceivable distance and actual. If a game is 20 million miles of cookie cutter landscape it shouldn't count.

Someone commented in this thread that Just Cause 2 is "the same four or five settlements pasted thousands of times".

Obviously, once you get past a certain amount of game area, the production staff is forced to copy-and-paste methods. Far Cry 2 was bigger, but the way it was split in half into two gameworlds with similar plots felt a little duplicated. Oblivion had a lot of places that felt a lot alike.

I think the comment about Just Cause 2 is exaggerated. There's enough variation from place to place that it really feels like a world. Also, the landscapes, forests, etc. look beautiful and are well placed. There's dense jungles, desert military bases, snow capped mountains, bases by an ice lake, and entire cities that are as large as liberty city.

EQ 1 is by far the largest usable world in a game I would bet.

I mean thell the original game plus the fear, hate planes and velious and kunark are bigger then any other game i would bet.

gothic 3 was huge, RF:Guerilla also

Gothic 3 was short. You could easily walk from one side to the other (east to west), In about 15 minutes. Compared to Oblivion, for example, it would take you at least 45mins to an hour. :(

EQ 1 is by far the largest usable world in a game I would bet.

I mean thell the original game plus the fear, hate planes and velious and kunark are bigger then any other game i would bet.

I doubt it.

Of course this is just the original EQ I believe but still.
mmogmaps_001.jpg

NFS: Undercover
Test Drive Unlimited = Try doing the millionaires island tour at legal speeds :p

Gothic 3 was short. You could easily walk from one side to the other (east to west), In about 15 minutes. Compared to Oblivion, for example, it would take you at least 45mins to an hour. :(
north to south was 3 different continents. a lot more than 15 minutes

WOW? ... yea I know, I went there.

JC 2 is indeed HUGE... Speaking of oblivion, I had a friend who spent 100 hours on it before realizing you could fast travel.

Fast travelling ruins it in my opinion. Too cut and paste for me; say you get a quest and instantly fast travel to the location, make your kill or whatever you need to do, fast travel back and your done. I end up feeling like there wasn't enought to satisfy and I'm left wanting more. Where's the work? :(

On a more serious note, I would throw Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising into the mix for largest gameworlds.

That WWII Online could be just plain disgusting. 140+ miles of actual in game terrain.

I think thats almost to the point of being so big I'd get tired of traversing the terrain after a few hours

I must say, Just Cause 2 has such a mindbogglingly large game area that its almost overwhelming. I'm fairly certain it would take a couple days to get across of it if did it on foot. That is without any loading times keep in mind...

Any other games out there with huge open game areas?

Oblivion had what I thought was a large area but it no longer even compares..

Arma 2 is bigger and not a streamed world as per say. It loads all AI's and events across the whole game world. the only thing thats streamlined is the map but things going on from one end to another happen regardless if where you are

I am sure Crackdown is somewhere in the rankings.

Secondlife is the winner if you can even count it. Since the world is streaming and it takes forever to load when you move, I would not count it.

Just Cause 2 seems only marginally bigger than a typical battle map for Steel Beasts Pro.
32 km between the outer edges isn't that much of a distance when you move around at 50 km/h and have engagement ranges at 3-4 km.
The original Steel Beasts supported only 15x15km, which occasionally felt cramped when organising an armoured company!

Cheers
Olle

Isnt R.D.R (Red Dead Redemption) suppost to be like 2 or 3 times bigger than San Andrea's.

We need to get a list running in this thread, at least for curiosities sake alone:
I would like games you can travel across the continents w/o loading screens, so let me know if some of the games on the list do not make the cut.
I feel that if zones are broken up by loading screens the world does not feel as immersive, so I do not want to include them.
I will update tonight when I get home from school, feel free to point out mistakes/ suggestions. Keep game suggestions coming, and any figures/mileage you can find.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R: Shadow of Chernobyl - 11.5 square miles
GTA San Andreas - 13.9 square miles
Fallout 3 - 15 square miles
Two Worlds - 16.2 square miles
Horizon - 20 square miles
Sacred 2: Fallen Angel - 22 square miles
Ultima (pre-expansions?) - 30 square miles
Far Cry 2 - 31 square miles
Superman Returns - 80 square miles
World of Warcraft (pre-expansions) - 80 square miles
Everquest (pre-expansions?) - 90 square miles
Operation Flashpoint Dragon Rising - 135 square miles
Star Wars: galaxies - 200 square miles
Burnout Paradise - 200 square miles
True Crime Streets of L.A - 240 square miles
Azerons Call - 500 square miles
Test Drive Unlimited - 618 square miles
Guild Wars Nightfall - 15,000 square miles
WWII online - 17,200 square miles
Lord of the Rings Online - 30,000 square miles
Daggerfall - 62,394 square miles (random generated)
Eve: Online - ≈ ∞

Still need to get figures/mileage for: gothic 3, RF:Guerilla, NFS: Undercover, Red Dead Redemption, Steel Beasts Pro, Crackdown, Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising & updated WoW/EQ1 expansions

Last edited:
Age of Conan is currently 185 Square Miles. It doesnt count currently as you have loading screens but with the expansion they are eliminating loading screens, they are adding 5 new zones to it as well so that will bump it up higher in square miles.

I remember when Pokemon had a "big" world.

They put that much terrain on Star Wars: Galaxies? Continuous?

While we're on it, I still like Mass Effect 2 but damn it's small outside of space, "cities" are tiny and most of space is meaningless as well.

Back