Large Monitors scaring me......

Comixbooks

Fully [H]
34" 40" You want to game on a 40" monitor =)

Personally it think 24" is just right I just need to ge the companies attention that bigger isn't necessary better.

Small Cellphones good....

Big Displays bad.....

Not really sure what the point of this thread is but I will chime in.

My monitor progression is as follows. I started with a 15in CRT, moved up to a 19in CRT, moved from that to a 17in LCD, from there it went to a 24in Dell 2405FPW widescreen 1920x1200 LCD that I used for years and thought it was as good as it gets. I eventually got a 30in HP ZR30W 2560x1600 monitor that I still use to this day.

I was lucky enough to also win a Asus PQ321Q 4k 32in monitor in a drawing and while it is a stunning display it is too pixel dense for me to use at native resolution in any kind of productive environment.
You learn to adapt to what you have and some people use their systems for more than just gaming.

My next display will likely be a 40in 4K either the new seiki or the new phillips. The pixel pitch of those displays is supposed to line up with a 27in 1440p monitor and also they are expected to downscale fairly well.

Fortunately for you manufacturers still make monitors of the smaller variety and likely will for the foreseeable future. Plus such Lilliputian options are cheaper too. Personally I don't want anything smaller them 27" for general computer usage. 2560x1440 as a minimum is preferable. I like 21:9 ratio as well as 16.9 and I'm developing a preference for 4K monitors in the 32" and 40" range.

Depends on where you sit. I sit less than arms length from my screen so for me 27" is abut as big as I want.

Went from 24" TN to 47" IPS in 2008, and won't be going below 40" anytime soon. Screen estate + high resolution are far more important to me than a 2ms response.

34" ultrawide is the best size so far for me.

Personally it think 24" is just right I just need to ge the companies attention that bigger isn't necessary better.

Big Displays bad.....

Cars and houses must fry your brain!

34" ultrawide is the best size so far for me.

I think this might be the case for me. They're not much taller than a 27" but a lot wider. I actually think this size might be perfect and once they come down in price and are supposed by most all games, I see one of these in my future.

Currently on my desk is a 24" and a 27". Which one am I currently typing on, neither one, but rather my 116" projector. But using a projector as my primary display for close to 10 years now and I will never ever go back. How close you may ask? well close enough that my feet brush the bottom of the frame when I recline my lazy boy.

But I will say smaller is better for travel...... and that's about it.

I'm now using a 21'' 4:3 ratio monitor and it's height is just perfect for me (same as 24'' 16:10 and just a bit lower than 27'' 16:9). So I guess something in the 24'' - 27'' range (16:10 or 16:9) would be OK for me but I can't imagine myself using a 40'' behemoth. Even a 30'' monitor seems too big. When I see all these scary threads about 32" - 40" - 50" monitors (and very popular threads) I just can't help feeling a certain ehh "consternation'' at the morbid magalomania raging here in the display department.
Also feel completely overwhelmed seeing 2X or 3X 30''+ monitor configurations in the "Show your LCD setup" thread

projectors have lower light usually I used one for about 2-3 playing Wii games then used in with my PS3.
It was a mini LED DLP projector.

I think this might be the case for me. They're not much taller than a 27" but a lot wider. I actually think this size might be perfect and once they come down in price and are supposed by most all games, I see one of these in my future.

The screen is just a hair taller than a 27" 16x9, according to displaywars.com when you put the 2 sizes in there.
27" 13.24 inches , 34" 13.39 inches
It's the same as having almost one and half 27" monitors.

Depends on what you do, game, video etc larger is better.

Browsing, if you don't multi task, is a waste. Anyone here browse on 27"+ with maximized window?

Multitask, mutli monitor probably is better than one large, but larger is still better~

projectors have lower light usually I used one for about 2-3 playing Wii games then used in with my PS3.
It was a mini LED DLP projector.

If you make the screen size too big, the light level will be low.
Use the right projector + screen for the job.
You shouldnt make assumptions based on using one projector incorrectly.

25" 1440p is a sweet spot for monitors. I hope we will see more displays in this format, similar to the u2515h.

40" 4k is amazing for programming, I would prefer about 35"-37" if text weren't so small and windows scaling didn't suck in some applications.

The screen is just a hair taller than a 27" 16x9, according to displaywars.com when you put the 2 sizes in there.
27" 13.24 inches , 34" 13.39 inches
It's the same as having almost one and half 27" monitors.

I thought it was something like that. That would be about the perfect size for me. 27 is plenty high and the extra width would be just enough to fill up the peripheral vision pretty good.

My progression. 15" CRT > 17" CRT > 19" LCD > 24" Widescreen > 30" Widescreen (work from home) > 24" (personal) > 27" Widescreen.

I've tried 34 ultrawide, but it felt weird.. I probably did not give it enough chance to get used to it though.

A lot of what screen is comfortable has to do with how close you sit to your monitor and how good your vision is relative to the DPI.

65" 4k for me. Web surfing and other basic computer function on PC is a cavemen thing. Smart phone and screen mirror ftw.

I'll chime in too even though OP seems like low quality bait....

In recent history, I went from a 27" Dell at 2560 x 1440 to my current LG 34" 3440 x 1440.

I'm 95% game 4% web surfer 1% movie watcher and the size of the LG is awesome for gaming (though admittedly, you do need a fairly "deep" computer desk, this is not a monitor for someone who games in the corner of a small room...)

I tried out the Asus PG278Q, 27" 2560 x 1440 @ 144 hz. The speed was amazing BUT if felt TINY. I literally had to get my tape measure and physically measure the diagonal dimension because I thought maybe I somehow was shipped a 24" monitor instead. Nope, it was 27".

I really cant go back to anything smaller than 34 now. Next monitor will be hopefully the Acer Predator 34" if turns out to be 144hz or a 40"+ 4K screen.

But again, I have a full size desk!

Anyone ever tell you that you scare easy,......!?!

:)

I mean, of all the things to be afraid of,......

Some of us work at home. I am not sure if you knew this but most professional artists, day traders, animators, engineers, etc work on 30 - 32" monitors. Then there are the guys that have the extra income and are really into immersive gaming that like larger screens. In addition to nearly have the screen take up our peripheral vision which is awesome, we like to use our desk area as an entertainment system and watch movies. Have you ever tried to watch a movie on a small ass 24" monitor? Not fun.

I think what this kid meant to say is that in the some bro spaces, whilst eating doritors and drinking redbulls, that when playing league of legends and checking out messages on facebook that a 24" is like, yo, pretty big dude.

Glad this guy is not the boss of all of us, we would only be allowed to have 24", yo, brah, monitors.

I have a coworker that finds anything over 17" too big for him. He says he gets lost around the screen if it's bigger than 17" He still uses a 15" screen at home.

The company gave him a new Dell Optiplex with a 24" and he couldn't function with it. I taught him how to put everything in a window. That seems to help him. Must be something in the brain.

I sit little more than arms length away from my screen most of the time in my little cubicle in my garage,
cubicle-lg34.jpg

I did use the LG 25" ultrawide for a couple of months before upgrading to the larger screen,
cubicle-updated.jpg

I'm glad monitors are gettting bigger. My next monitor is either going to be a 40" 4k or 43" ultra-wide display (optimistic in seeing these in the not-so-distant future :)). My current monitor is 27" and that is starting to feel tiny to me. I remember thinking my 21" CRT was badass... but maybe it was because it weighed more than 30 kilograms :p.

same here, an 24'' 1440p will be my next monitor. no need for bigger, since i sit 50 cm back from it.

I can't stand huge screens, because I am fucking weird and can only take so much emmissive light before my eyes get overexposed. They are very sensitive, and since it's my job (as well as my hobby), I have to take this handicap seriously:

I make my desktop black, my text editors yellow on black, and I adore sites like [h] and Ars Technica which come standard with a dark theme. I run black themes for other common site like Wikipedia, and Slashdot - without these I'd have to severely restrict my reading choices. And then I crank the brightness down to as low as it can go :)

I will never buy a monitor larger than 24 inches. I have a 46" TV, and even from eight feet away, I have to crank the back-light down to minimum!

I keep a 19" monitor on one of my systems at work because all I do is read the web and type up word docs, so tthe smaller the backlight, the better :D On my r"real work" machine I use dual-24" monitors, because dual is necessary, but again I keep the second monitor off until I actually need it for data analysis or debugging.

No, It's not a nice weakness to have in my field, but yeah you can work around it. Just saying, biggrer displays are NOT for everybody!

Last edited:

Big Displays bad.....

Its ok there is nothing to be scared about.

In the world of display technology, bigger is smaller. Bigger monitor means reduced pixels per inch which means worse image clarity. A bigger monitor will also need to be moved further away to properly encompass our field of vision, which works against our own eye's ability to perceive detail.

In the world of display technology, bigger is smaller. Bigger monitor means reduced pixels per inch which means worse image clarity. A bigger monitor will also need to be moved further away to properly encompass our field of vision, which works against our own eye's ability to perceive detail.

My 25" LG and 34" LG have nearly the same PPI so the icons and everything are pretty much the same size on both, but I get a lot more usable screen and they were both set at the same distance from me.
2560x1080 on the 25" and 3440x1440 on the 34".

The biggest monitor I have had is 16:10 aspect ratio 25.5" LG W2600HP. If I want to look at the upper portion of that monitor I have to look upwards which I find very uncomfortable. In practice I only use slightly above 80 % of the vertical real estate. So a monitor about 80 % of the height of W2600HP is already tall enough for me.

Adding width wouldn’t cause ergonomic problems but there’s no really point in that either. IPS type monitors tend to exhibit glow when viewed from wide angles and that ruins the picture quality. More width just increases the glow. Other LCD panel types behave even worse with wide angles.

There are two other factors in favor of smaller monitors, pixel pitch and price tag. For example, from similarly specced full hd IPS monitors between 21.5" and 27", 21.5” models have the sharpest picture, likely least glow and cheapest price, whereas 27" models have a horrible pixel pitch, most glow and highest price. I just wish they will make 5k panels in smaller sizes than 27" also. I never made a jump to 1440p monitors as they weren’t available in sizes below 27" (until now).

In my previous job I used a 20" 1600 x 1200 LCD monitor which I have to say has been the best format for me. Couple of those on a desk in a higher resolution would be ideal. If monitors had better viewing angles like OLED displays something like 29" 21:9 would be great though.

I currently own a 28" 4k tn sammy and just placed an order for the Philips 40" 4k. 4k is awesome due to the clarity, but the scaling kind of kills the extra space that it should provide. Very excited for my new large monitor to come.

The other monitor setup I had was 3 23" 1080p panels and that space was basically perfect which ends up being similar to a 40" spread. The bezels killed it though and eyefinity had its issues in a lot of games.

Back