Laptops unable to connect with certain DHCP / Static IP's (fun read)

stiltner

[H]F Junkie
Ok, so here's how my Friday went. Wireless connectivity issue. Machine #1, wireless desktop, 2nd floor of building structure. No Internet. Restart the connection, ding, gets an IP, ding internet, done.

Machine #2, laptop, 1st floor (closer to the wireless router, not farther) shows "No Internet Access". Ok I think, ping the gateway, good, ping the DNS servers, good, ping myself, good also. *scratching head*. Information was obtained via DHCP handed down from Win2003, the router / gateway is a Watchguard Firebox. Everything LOOKS right, DNS, IP's are within scope, there's no restrictions in the Watchguard that would coincide to the IP (10.0.0.52 is the IP I think the machine had).

Machine #3, same exact model of laptop, Turn it on, DHCP IP passed out, noted in the scope, connects no issue, gets IP, surfs net.

Machine #4 My laptop, Win 7 pro, connects, DHCP, IP in the scope noted as 10.0.0.53. Connects no problem. Ok at this point I'm convinced that Machine #2 has NIC issues, or possibly firewall conflicts. So, I disconnect my laptop from the network and power it down. I then give Machine #2 the IP statically of 10.0.0.53, the IP my laptop used successfully to connect). Doing this made machine #2 connect, and browse the Internet without issues.

Disconnecting Machine #2 with its new static IP, and reconnecting with DHCP, gives me a new IP from the pool now, 10.0.0.92. All the IP's between those were already taken by machines currently on the network or whose DHCP leases had not expired yet.

So, I pull in a 5th machine, it has the same issues as machine #2, BUT, setting static information does not enable it to connect.

Whats the issue? Is it Watchguard Firebox related (it has 35 licenses, the DHCP scope allows for 45 IP's to be handed out, of which according to Watchguard only takes place in situations that should not exceed 35 licenses at all).

Is this a Windows Server / DHCP issue, where the IP's that are going into the scope are reserved, and even though a machine disconnects, and the IP is cleared from the scope, when you reconnect you attain the same IP address from the DHCP pool, even if other machines connect prior to said machine that had the IP.

Or is this a client issue, the machines range from Windows XP to Windows 7. So there's no connection hardware / software based that would make me say its a connected problem.

And finally, after stabbing your eyes out, do you have any suggestions for me to go back and tackle on Monday? I had to wash my hands of this issue before I had an anuerism and dropped dead on site.

get to work early before everyone logs in and get those machine up and running first to see if the problem still happens on those machines?

Valid point sure I guess, because that could point to the licensing / client limitations being the source of the problem.

I was going to push their reservation from 45 to 50 or so to see if the extra 5 slots made the issue go away, but it doesn't work that way for DHCP. It wouldn't hand out an IP at all if the pool was exhausted, and I'm getting IP's perfectly fine on all machines.

Back