Laptop WiFi Issues

JC724

Weaksauce
For some reason my laptop WiFi will randomly disconnect and not see any WiFi networks at all.

I have to dis able the WiFi and Enable it again to start it back up.

I Ran a check to see if I needed updated drivers and my Laptop says they are already up to date. I just updated Windows in general to see if that would fix the issue but it didn't.

Any advice on what I can do?

I have had my laptop for about 3 years now.

I Ran a check to see if I needed updated drivers and my Laptop says they are already up to date. I just updated Windows in general to see if that would fix the issue but it didn't.
Not sure how you did this but Windows is clueless when it comes to updating drivers. I use a third party app called SDIO (Snappy Driver Installer Origin). Not sure exactly how it does it but It searches for new drivers, downloads them and installs them. I simply run the program about once a week to check for new drivers and it keeps me up to date.

Can you send over the details of the wireless card (chipset, model #, etc.) ? Also, what are you using for an AP/Wireless Router?

Post up the chipset and make/model. I have a USB 3.0 Asus card and with certain drivers the damn thing would reset randomly under heavy use. Googled the issue and found a better and stable set of drivers and tweaked advance settings for the WiFi card and Bam no more problem

In cases like this I've found it's just quicker to swap the wi-fi card in the laptop. usually a 5 minute job. Just have to make sure it's not a HP or a Lenovo though as they BIOS lock the chips you can use.

In cases like this I've found it's just quicker to swap the wi-fi card in the laptop. usually a 5 minute job.
I bought an 802.11ax card before I realized the one in my laptop is soldered... bought an adapter to put it in an older one, need a Dremel to get it to fit :cry:

Where I've encountered similar symptoms, I've restarted both the laptop and the access point to get things running again. Don't really have enough data points to suggest a permanent solution, though.

I bought an 802.11ax card before I realized the one in my laptop is soldered... bought an adapter to put it in an older one, need a Dremel to get it to fit :cry:

Where I've encountered similar symptoms, I've restarted both the laptop and the access point to get things running again. Don't really have enough data points to suggest a permanent solution, though.

Wow thats a bummer. In 11 years of fixing laptops I've not come across a proper one (as in not a netbook or cheap Chromebook) that ddin't use a wifi card.

Wow thats a bummer. In 11 years of fixing laptops I've not come across a proper one (as in not a netbook or cheap Chromebook) that ddin't use a wifi card.
It's an ultrabook thing from what I can tell. The soldered parts are simply smaller, in all three dimensions, whether WiFi, SSD, RAM...

It's an ultrabook thing from what I can tell. The soldered parts are simply smaller, in all three dimensions, whether WiFi, SSD, RAM...

Ahhh yes due to Apple we now all want micro thin and lightweight rather than durable, repairable and usable.

Ahhh yes due to Apple we now all want micro thin and lightweight rather than durable, repairable and usable.
It's a choice, but I think I'd rather back off to 14" again myself. The battery life and port situation isn't worth it.

So it is easy to install a WiFi Card?

Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7265

I use a CenturyLink 802.11n and 802.11 ac wireless router

That is pretty rare to see the intel wireless card to have problem but yes it is easy to install. If you can re-paste a laptop, you can swap the wireless card. Can you tell the maker or model of the laptop because some brand (Lenovo) have whitelist on wireless card.

You should try and do a clean driver install:
  1. Download https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...Drivers-for-Intel-Wireless-7265-Family-Rev-C- on to your laptop
  2. Go to the device manager and right click on the problem Intel wlan adapter
  3. Select Uninstall, and check the uninstall driver box.
  4. Reboot the PC and install the latest driver you just downloaded and see if that resolves the issue.
  5. If you mess up just plug in Ethernet cable download the driver and install.

So are using each of these in the same network? I am guessing that could be part of your problem. Can you isolate each and test each independently? Sometimes these won't mix well. Because it is NA and AC.

Back