Laptop wifi continuously loses connection

ThePie69

Weaksauce
Joined
Nov 9, 2013
Messages
71
My laptop is a HP Pavilion dv6t CTO Quad Edition with a Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1000 wifi card. Just recently I re-formatted the hard drive on the laptop and used the discs that came with the computer to restore it to factory settings. Shortly after I noticed the laptop would randomly stop receiving packets and I would lose internet temporally. It still was connected to the router (SSID) but would show a no internet connection and yellow warning triangle. I've contacted HP and we've been threw every driver in the book so I'm thinking that its a hardware issue of the card itself.

I no that these hardware issues can just suddenly happen, like before my LCD screen stopped working on this laptop. One night it was fine and next morning, nothing. Never again would I see that screen light up again. Couple hundred dollars right there. :(

Anyway are there any tests or suggestions you guys would suggest having me run to see if there's a hardware failure some where along the lines?
 
Last edited:
try getting the driver directly from Intel; they are typically on top of their game...
 
Ya, screw OEM drivers they are always OLD!

also, what settings is you're wireless on?
What channel?
How good is the signal?
Have you updated your Routers firmware lately?

Believe it or not, use Chanel 6, or a channel used by those around you, people moving their default channel actually does more harm than good.
 
Alright so I went and found this page on Intel's website
https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Se...oductProduct=Intel®+Centrino®+Wireless-N+1000

Went to Win 7 64 bit and downloaded the Wireless_16.7.0_Ds64.exe since I needed the 64 bit one but only the driver and not the driver + software.

Ran the installer and it loaded and did its circle-y thing and that was it. Soooo not sure if it worked or not but going to continue using it for a while and see what happens I guess.
 
Alright so my wifi card just disconnected again and I clicked on disconnect from SSID and then reconnected to it to re-established the connection. Any hardware tests I could run that might detect if the wifi card is going bad or something.
 
Had that same problem years ago. updated the firmware on my router to DDWRT and no more problems.
 
Alright so I went through and updated all my drivers and router firmware and yet it still will randomly just loss internet connection. It's still connected to the access point (router).
http://s6.postimg.org/u3uw75c6p/Untitled1.png

I can just leave it for about 60 second or manually disconnect and reconnect to get internet connection again.
 
Have you already installed all current updates from Microsoft, excluding any drivers?
 
your original post suggests an issue with your router. do you have another to test against? are there other wireless devices connected to the router? what's their behavior?
 
I don't have another router to test (I will in a month-ish though) and I did install all updates and drivers and everything I could fine.

When this issues happened before I quickly took out my phone and ran a speed test (its connected to the same wifi as laptop) and the phone went and passed it just fine.
 
Alright so I updated the router to the latest firmware, even did a factory reset on it afterwards. Still the same thing happens. I have two laptops im testing and it only happens to this one laptop and other devices are fine. I still think its the wifi card. I'm going to purchase a replacement and see if that solves the issue .
 
Are you running wide-band (40hz) enabled on your 5ghz N on your router?

I had a lot of problems with Android devices holding a solid connection to 40hz bands on Tomato.

Check your other poweruser/tweak settings on the router.

Double check also for channel interference if you're near other houses/apartments which can cause this, especially on 2.4ghz which is pretty busy / well-trafficked these days.
 
Are you running wide-band (40hz) enabled on your 5ghz N on your router?

I had a lot of problems with Android devices holding a solid connection to 40hz bands on Tomato.

Check your other poweruser/tweak settings on the router.

Double check also for channel interference if you're near other houses/apartments which can cause this, especially on 2.4ghz which is pretty busy / well-trafficked these days.

It is a dual band router but its only using 2.4 ghz since no one has a dual band wlan card.
Router's channel bandwidth is 20/40 MHz and channel control is auto.

The issue only happens with ONE of my computers. second strongest signal nearby is 3/5 bars which is the house next door so I don't think that that's the issue. It just started happening 2 weeks ago.
 
So I just put in a new wifi card and it still is doing that "No internet connection" thing every once in a while. Any other ideas on what it could be?

Recap:
Just this laptop
Just put a new wlan card in it
Connected to the access point the entire time
All firmware on laptop and router are up to date
 
I had an issue with this for a long time, I had to set my Wifi channel on the router (N56U) to static instead of auto (Used channel 7) and it hasn't happened again.
 
I had an issue with this for a long time, I had to set my Wifi channel on the router (N56U) to static instead of auto (Used channel 7) and it hasn't happened again.

Hmmm, alright I guess I'm going to mess with the channels on the router then. I have a AC66R which is set to auto. I did a scan and found that it always runs on channel 11 where as the 5ghz channel runs on 153. I guess I'll play around with the 2.4ghz channel since that's what I use anyway.
 
Yea that's what I was having issues with also. 5 band was fine, that's still on auto.
 
Yea that's what I was having issues with also. 5 band was fine, that's still on auto.

I'm going to manual set channel 11 and 153 as static channels, even though those were the defaults, I want to see if that changes anything. Thanks for your input. I'll respond back probably by the end of tomorrow or the next day.
 
Since it's been on 11 I would change it just to be sure. There might be a baby monitor or something else on that channel nearby interfering, that's what was causing my problems.
 
Since it's been on 11 I would change it just to be sure. There might be a baby monitor or something else on that channel nearby interfering, that's what was causing my problems.

Agreed, I just want to see how it performs when set to static on channels 11, 6 & 1. Hopefully that will change something. I haven't had any break trough's yet on this wifi problem I've been having.
 
Well it hasn't been even 10 hours of "testing" and channel 11 didn't seem to make much of a improvement (obviously) and channel 7 was a improvement but it still happened once or twice. I'm on channel 1 right now so will see how it goes. A whole 20 minutes in and its looking good so far! :)
 
Did you try testing the laptop elsewhere?

It could be a local issue as opposed to purely due to the laptop.
 
If this doesn't fix it it's got to be the laptop. Next step for me would be get a usb WiFi dongle, disable onboard, and see what happens.
 
Alright so it just did it again. Damn, I was really hoping this would fix this issue. I havn't had a chance to try the laptop anywhere else. The issue probably only happens once a hour or so, maybe a little longer. I have a Netgear WG111v2 USB adapter so I can just use that for a while and see what happens. I don't know what could be causing the issue. This makes absolutely no sense at all.
 
Alright so I have not once had a issue while using the usb adapter. It didn't give me the "no internet connection" issue not even once. So it has to be something with the laptop. I have no idea what though.
Any suggestions? Any tests I should run?
 
I had issues like that once, ended up just setting the DHCP lease on the modem and router to 7 days to cure it. Default on the modem was like 30 minutes.
 
Did you ever completely uninstall all drivers for the internal wifi and reinstall from Intel?
 
Did you ever completely uninstall all drivers for the internal wifi and reinstall from Intel?

No I haven't done that. I did install a new WLAN card and installed those drivers. If I see the issue happen again I will go straight to the device manager and uninstall the intel wifi drivers.
 
Actually, seems to be 1000 series, 5000 series, and 6000 series as well from what I have read.
Just switched to a 6300 on my main laptop (from a Dell 1501), and am having the same problem.
Google Intel wireless adapter disconnects for some enlightenment.
 
change your router security mode from WPA-AES+PSK to just WPA-AES or WPA-PSK.
 
Alright so I have not once had a issue while using the usb adapter. It didn't give me the "no internet connection" issue not even once. So it has to be something with the laptop. I have no idea what though.
Any suggestions? Any tests I should run?

I have the same issue on a Lenovo laptop. I've given up. I've read it all and tried various drivers. Nothing has worked other than a USB adapter.
 
Well, I've tried everything and willing to try anything. Just don't know why this is happening. There's no malware causing issues that I can find, all drivers are good. Sometimes it happens a lot and sometimes it doesn't happen at all. It's like really annoying riddle or something but instead its a stupid wifi card. *sigh.

Any other suggestions possibly?
 
I remember dealing with a similar issue with one of my laptops. I either ended up doing a complete driver wipe and installed the latest drivers available from Intel's site or I reverted back to an older driver, the one that originally came with the system, I dont remember which, but it fixed my problem.
 
only thing I've come up with not suggested already is to get an Ubuntu ISO and use that to boot the computer. If you still have problems, it's almost certainly the hardware, (probably the mini-PCI/mini-PCIe slot since you've already changed the card.)

If it works perfectly under Ubuntu you know the issue is strictly a soft issue, (drivers or configuration)
 
I had a problem like this that frustrated me for months on my wife's Toshiba laptop.

Ended up googling the chipset info (like Realtek xxxx) and finding a driver that fixed it from Lenovo.

Extracted the driver to a folder and force-installed it for the wi-fi chip...and it fixed the problem.

Same chipset, but Lenovo had a better driver. IIRC I actually had to use a beta driver I scraped off of a file sharing site.
 
this was happening constantly on my sister's new Dell laptop. (apparently a problem she's had for months, though she just told me about it). Perhaps not the BEST solution, but going into the adapter's properties and disabling Wireless N (forcing it to 54g then) gave her an instantly stable connection.

All other options didn't work. Wireless N works for everyone else..
 
Back
Top