• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Laptop Troubles, Desperate!

lohkie

n00b
Joined
Jul 13, 2004
Messages
57
Ok, I kinda skimped a bit too much (was a present so I was trying to get a laptop with good setup without too much cost) and ended up picking the model that had a rather pathetic video card (outdated to the max).

It's a GeF 3 440 Go model, an offbrand that doesn't even have driver updates :(

And the REAL bummer is that it's only dx7 compatable, I can't render area 51, can't see menus on pariah, and snowblind refuses to even run. That alone takes away from my hatred of the 64 MB (the site was really unspecific about the stats and capabilities of the card and I was stupid and didn't read up)...

Anyway, the laptop is an HP Pavilion zv5000 series, and I was wondering if anyone (since there seem to be gods among the forum goers here :D ) knew of any card upgrades that could possibly fit into the machine. I'm sure I could install myself or take it to the local computer shop to have it installed, but I don't really know what to look for to see if it's at all compatible, and HP certainly isn't helping...

Anyway, IM me on Yewwowduck if you can offer more immediate assistance than just a suggestion... or, worse, a confirmation that I'm effed as far as gaming works :D

Also, secondary question, could this card possibly run BF on shit ass settings? (the rest of the computer is fine, CPU could go up, 1.6, but 1 GB of ram, not entirely sure on FSB).
 
most laptops you can't replace the gpu, only like speacial made ones have that ability. Also and if by BF you mean BF2 then no. An fx5x00 series card or higher is required or else the game will not run at all.
 
Try the XtremeG drivers at guru3d.com. I think they have optimizations for notebooks and drivers that will work with them.
 
there's no way to get something else that would fit?

I figured someone on here would have some unorthodox crazy method since the warranty is about up...
 
It really sounds like you're hardware limited and this is not a driver or software issue. Give it a try, though.
 
well, i meant more concerning the card upgrade... i know that it's not typical to upgrade a laptop, but back in the day, neither was upgrading your computer...

though i'm gonna start a BF2 thread now so i can get some questions answered
 
You dont have any spare slots to install a video card. Just no modding around it. The GPU in a laptop is a chip soldered on the motherboard. Unless, as stated earlier, the laptop was designed to have an upgrade path (XPS 2, Alienware etc, which have PCIe slot cards that are upgradeable), which yours does not.
 
gsboriqua said:
You dont have any spare slots to install a video card. Just no modding around it. The GPU in a laptop is a chip soldered on the motherboard. Unless, as stated earlier, the laptop was designed to have an upgrade path (XPS 2, Alienware etc, which have PCIe slot cards that are upgradeable), which yours does not.

QFT
 
Back
Top