Laptop or new build

Nerdydave

Limp Gawd
I am trying to figure out if I should just use my laptop or build a new system my laptop is an Asus gaming laptop with a gtx765m and 8gb ram. It does play all my movies and games just fine. I am not sure I want to give up the laptop till I get another one and maybe I could build a desktop for the TV cheap maybe an APU.

Things it has to do
Be able to play movies at 1080p
Game at 1080p well

So you want to use your current laptop as the dedicated HTPC?

i am trying to figure that out. if using my laptop or just build a computer as my HTPC

Well unless you're planning lower-end games, APUs aren't exactly the best for playing newer higher-end games at 1080P. However for lower-end games and HTPC duties, APUs are fine.

If you are happy with your laptop as a gamer, and don't mind plugging in a hdmi cord to connect to the TV/surround, I would say stay with the laptop. If you don't need the mobility, a desktop PC could likely be bought that outperforms the laptop in gaming/movies for sale price of laptop (in perfect world).

If you want both...and have alittle technical know-how, my answer to this myself was an external graphics card for my laptop. laptop could be taken to school, then plugged into external gpu at home for desktop like performance in games and movies. This requires some "doing" to set up, and your laptop needs the adequate ports (usually express card), but can provide a good solution to people like you (and me) that are torn between needing a laptop and wanting an awesome gaming computer. These external gpus can also be made very mobile, consisting of just a video card, small adapter, and a power supply (which can be as small as a xbox 360 power brick for many gpus).

Google egpu experiences 2.0 for information if your interested in the external gpu setup, the site has alot of info.

Back