Laptop folding slowly?

onetwenty8k

2[H]4U
I have my C2D 2.0Ghz laptop with 2GB of RAM running Ubuntu 7.10 and it seems to be folding awfully slowly. I never really noticed it until now, I mean, my desktop, albeit faster, folds rings around this laptop and the desktop is running the SMP client.

I have two console clients running on the laptop and it's taking about 1h 50m to complete one percent (step). Is this right? What could be going wrong?

That sounds very very slow. I think my P3 folded about that fast.

Check the log file and see if SSE is turned on or not. If the clients shut down improperly and you don't have the -forceasm flag set, it will run without SSE the next time the clients are started up. If this happens, it might fold at about half speed. Even then, unless it's working on a huge work unit, it shouldn't take an hour for 1%.

It's taking almost two, I might just install Windows on that computer just so I can run the SMP client because there is no 32bit linux SMP client :(

I haven't shut them down so I'm not sure what could be causing it.

Try running top and make sure nothing is eating away cycles. Also, make sure there's no power management throttling down the processor.

There's no power management because it's running at 100% and it's at the top of the food (process) chain. I am installing windows XP now and going to run the SMP client overnight and see how that goes.

Okay, have windows up and running, just finishing up installing drivers and I'll load up affinity changer and SMP client and see how it does. Will post back after.

i avg about 22mins a frame on my T7200 C2D 2ghz laptop. But I know if i am in power saving mode my times go off kilter. I also have the client set to not run while on battery. and im running the SMP client in Vista w/ SP1.

I average 18-21 mins with my T7200 running Ubuntu 64 bits so yours might not be normal. I suggest you delete it and reinstall the client because it could be a accidental double-installation so 2 clients (1 probably hidden) is fighting for cycles.

This is a CoreDuo T2300 (I think) 2.0Ghz CPU. Fresh install of F@H SMP client. Seems to be pretty consistant at 26 minutes per step which is fine with me considering what I had before :p We'll see what happens with other WUs after this.

It's not a Core 2 but a older Core architecture so it's a bit less efficient. With this in mind, the performance is excellent. For a T7200 (C2D), it's a bit slow.

Okay, cool, sounds good. It's chugging along quite nicely nice. I'll have to see the PPD output of my setup.

I would agree that it is consistent. I am running the SMP client on my corporate laptop (T7500 @ 2.2 w/2GB RAM). I average 21 mins per step

Back