Laptop CPU Upgrade?

Snobok

[H]ard|Gawd
I recently purchased a used HP NX9420 17" business laptop from ebay with the following specifications:

1.6 Core Duo (not Core 2 Duo)
1gb DDR2-667 (2gb max)
80gb HDD
ATI x1600 256mb (roguhly equivalent to an 8400GS)
Intel 945-based chipset.

I was thinking of trying to upgrade the CPU in the laptop once it comes in. I noticed that the CPU has a TDP of 31W, and that a new C2D T7200 would have a TDP of 34W. My question is would I be able to do such an upgrade, or would a newer CPU put out too much heat? I know I would need to do a BIOS update and also find a T7200 that works with Socket M.

Also, I'm wondering if doing such a upgrade is worth it anyway; I will mainly be using the laptop for email, moves, music, circuit design and simulation (Multisim), and some gaming (UT3, TF2, CNC3, etc). I also, want the laptop to last me for at least 2 years, and am planning to up the RAM anyway to 2gb since DDR2 is so cheap.

That laptop should be able to handle the extra heat. They do offer that laptop with the T7200 and T7400 CPUs nowadays.

However for your needs, the CPU upgrade isn't worth it. Besides, the longer you wait, the higher chance of you finding a T7200 for cheap.

Well, its good to know that the laptop can handle the heat. From the looks of things, Socket M C2D chips are freakishly expensive. The newest revisions of the laptop use socket P; the chips are really cheap for that.Thus, I probably won't spring for an upgrade unless I find an amazing deal on the T7200 or better. Thanks for the help.

Back