Laptop cooler

OutOfPhase

Supreme [H]ardness
Any thoughts or recommendations folks have for a current high-power gaming laptop? We have a cooler master with one giant fan currently. It's very quiet, but even all the way up - barely seems to move any air.
It's a 3070 based laptop which does get used for gaming a lot, and boy howdy, it does get hot. We don't care about noise, just cooling the dang thing.

Thinking of making a cooler with the pile of fans I have, but also, don't really want to do that Because Time.

I've never found any of those laptop coolers to do much except help very little. If just a little help is you all you need, then they're perfect, but otherwise you will need some other solution.

Now, this being said, I always start by setting all the fans in the laptop to 100% all the time--especially if noise isn't a concern. Then it might be something as simple as pointing a desk fan at the intake or setting the laptop on top of a small box fan on low. Crazy I know, but you gotta get some colder air in there somehow.

Thanks for the response!

The case fans are set to 100% - noise is no issue, we did that. But the case is still pretty hot under use. Might be an unfortunate design, but I'm assuming convecting the heat from the case will still help.

Thinking maybe I need to build him a SFF system, vs laptop, with scramjet fans installed.

For the laptop, yes, but it is working correctly. I don't see any defects, just more heat that can be evacuated in high-stress cases.

I have 4 140mm Noctuas, and may make a frankencooler. But - limited hours, just kinda want to buy something for 20-50 bucks and I can continue to charge clients $more.

For the laptop, yes, but it is working correctly. I don't see any defects, just more heat that can be evacuated in high-stress cases.

I have 4 140mm Noctuas, and may make a frankencooler. But - limited hours, just kinda want to buy something for 20-50 bucks and I can continue to charge clients $more.
was asking because repasting usually will knock off 5c+ and those stupid filter things they put on all the openings/grills choke airflow, i rip them out.
or
these seem ok:
Amazon.com: Pccooler Laptop Cooling Pad, Laptop Cooler with 5 Quiet Red LED Fans for 12-17.3 Inch Laptop, Dual USB 2.0 Ports, Portable 6 Angle Adjustable Laptop Stand for Gaming Laptop (PC-R5) : Electronics
even works for hot routers according to a review...

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm thinking about routing a piece of plywood, veneer the edges, and maybe add a handle and room for a mouse. One of the best things you can do is provide intake clearance, and a buffer from your flesh. Might make standoffs to increase clearance too. Now that I've written all this I gotta actually do it sometime!

Pillows and blankets snuff the laptop fans out, so at least put it on a hard surface if you're using it on the couch/bed/etc.

Edit: didn't have enough oak ply, got this instead, will add a stand if it needs more airflow:

LapGear Home Office Lap Desk with Device Ledge, Mouse Pad, and Phone Holder - Black Carbon - Fits Up to 15.6 Inch Laptops - Style No. 91588 https://a.co/eUaRsqN

Last edited:
I have this one for a few months.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087WF59N1?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

completely solved my nvme drive overheating problem with the fans on low speed. I have 2 issues with it however. It says 17.3 inch but with that size you can't really use it at an angle with a 17 inch laptop. The feet that hold the laptop from sliding off are too far into the device such that the laptop would stick 3+ inches off the back if used. Also even at slow speed the usb power cable area of the laptop gets hot from the power draw of the 6 fans.

I have this one for a few months.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087WF59N1?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

completely solved my nvme drive overheating problem with the fans on low speed. I have 2 issues with it however. It says 17.3 inch but with that size you can't really use it at an angle with a 17 inch laptop. The feet that hold the laptop from sliding off are too far into the device such that the laptop would stick 3+ inches off the back if used. Also even at slow speed the usb power cable area of the laptop gets hot from the power draw of the 6 fans.
Yep, this is why lowes ftw, lol. Might need a second power plug, but that's it.

was asking because repasting usually will knock off 5c+ and those stupid filter things they put on all the openings/grills choke airflow, i rip them out.
or
these seem ok:
Amazon.com: Pccooler Laptop Cooling Pad, Laptop Cooler with 5 Quiet Red LED Fans for 12-17.3 Inch Laptop, Dual USB 2.0 Ports, Portable 6 Angle Adjustable Laptop Stand for Gaming Laptop (PC-R5) : Electronics
even works for hot routers according to a review...
Ah, roger re repasting, misunderstood the question. It is under warranty, so I'll balk at that route for a while.

I think I'll try that pad first. If that doesn't do it, as suggested by SamirD I'm going to get a house fan and make some standoffs, etc. For some reason I had it in my head I had to use PC fans - but duh, a fan is a fan.

So how much airflow does the integrated grill on the case hinder?

Could be as simple as removing any filter crap that is under the grill or even cutting away the grill so the fan can pull more air in.

Might also be able to find some fans of the same size and hookup that blow more air.

The repasting can lower load temps by up to 20c IF they used the same crap that Dell has been using for the past few decades.

The second cooler with a million fans is arriving tomorrow, and my boy can check it out and be annoyed at me doing measurements.

There is no real problem per se, just - interest in seeing if there was a "oh man, yes, get this thing". Sounds like - not so much.

Back