Laptop BSODs on wake after M.2 SSD install

1.) Install an M.2 NVME SSD in the available slot.

2.) Install Windows on said M.2, wipe OE HDD of old file structure, partition for storage.

3.) Install all device drivers available from laptop manufacturer's website.

4.) SSD works, HDD works, all other hardware works... except now the machine will not wake from sleep (opening the lid). Machine hangs on a black screen for 20 seconds, flashes a BSOD message for an instant and reboots.

System event log shows a warning that writing the crash dump has failed, and then a "previous shutdown was unexpected" event. Tried reinstalling chipset and VGA drivers per Lenovo's support page recommendations, no dice.

It's honestly not that big a deal, but the laptop is less than a week old and I'm pretty sure I messed something up reinstalling the drivers - I'm just not sure what.

Any ideas?

did you remove the oem drive during the install? ive seen windows put files all over the place is multiple drives are present during setup. try redoing it with the oem drive out. also check for a bios update if you haven't yet.

did you remove the oem drive during the install? ive seen windows put files all over the place is multiple drives are present during setup. try redoing it with the oem drive out. also check for a bios update if you haven't yet.
I did both. Actually had to install Windows twice; after discovering that my initial install (with the HDD in) had stuck system partitions on the HDD, I redid it with the HDD out.

The bios had a revision available, so I installed it along with the new Windows install - now you've got me thinking though. Is it possible the BIOS update disabled a C-state that sleep depends on?

I did both. Actually had to install Windows twice; after discovering that my initial install (with the HDD in) had stuck system partitions on the HDD, I redid it with the HDD out.

The bios had a revision available, so I installed it along with the new Windows install - now you've got me thinking though. Is it possible the BIOS update disabled a C-state that sleep depends on?
maybe. dig through the bios, maybe reload defaults, see what happens.

Nothing I can do seems to resolve the issue.

I'm trying one last thing - actual Lenovo recovery media, bloatware and all. Hopefully it sets all the drivers right.

I've found several articles about M.2 drives of multiple manufacturers interfering with sleep functionality. If the issue persists after the reinstall with media is finished, I'll just set my laptop up never to sleep - which is kind of a bummer, but I'll trade no sleep for the slow HDD any day of the week.

Well, the Lenovo recovery media set my sleep issues straight.

Unfortunately, now my keyboard doesn't function properly. Most keys work right, but the Windows, Num7 and Num9 keys all insert gibberish strings in notepad, and do other things like open Edge to Microsoft's help page and call the screen cast interface.

Laptops are a pain.

damn, fix one prob get another. check for updated kb drivers? make sure that the language setting are correct and not set to Canadian English or some weird bs.

damn, fix one prob get another. check for updated kb drivers? make sure that the language setting are correct and not set to Canadian English or some weird bs.
I've been on support with Lenovo and Microsoft on and off all day. The Microsoft guy was the most helpful, and it seemed like we got the issue resolved by replacing a Lenovo utility with a different version, but the problem came back after a couple of reboots.

Per Lenovo's advice, I'm running the factory restoration media again - will report back.

Well, after yet another factory reset, the issue persists.

Lenovo told me to have the laptop replaced under warranty.

Thing is, I installed an M.2, which Lenovo considers to be warranty-voiding.

I called Best Buy and told them the whole sorry story - tech says "Oh yeah. Those Lenovo Y530s have a keyboard connector seating issue. We see it all the time. Bring it back for an exchange."

"But I installed an M.2 - I've had the laptop apart."

"That's fine, just take your M.2 out and put the original drive back in - we don't care about Lenovo's stupid warranty, we want you to be our satisfied customer."

Holy unexpected retail salvation, Batman.

Now just to decide if I want to roll the dice on another Lenovo (which aside from the keyboard issue I really love), or get the super gamer-pwn frag harder black and red MSI equivalent. =/

Well, this has been a somewhat rambling thread, but it's concluded. I'm the ashamed new owner of an Acer Nitro 5. I say ashamed because it looks like such a gamer laptop, but really I'm pretty impressed with it for $800. It's a plastic affair like you'd expect at that price point, but it's got a nice display, factory installed PCIe SSD, and a general feel of quality to it if you can overlook the materials.

Don't think I'll be buying another Lenovo product.

It's the driver for the M.2.

Is it a TOSHIBA M.2? I had a Lenovo laptop that I decided to tweak the drivers for and had the same issue. I dug in and found out that I could use drivers for an OCZ drive (OCZ 400 IIRC). I don't have the laptop anymore, but if you're willing to dig let me know and we can try to work it out.

It's the driver for the M.2.

Is it a TOSHIBA M.2? I had a Lenovo laptop that I decided to tweak the drivers for and had the same issue. I dug in and found out that I could use drivers for an OCZ drive (OCZ 400 IIRC). I don't have the laptop anymore, but if you're willing to dig let me know and we can try to work it out.
All is well - I returned that Lenovo hunk of junk. Actually got the M.2 working correctly, but the keyboard then started malfunctioning.

Back