• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Laptop Advice

Joined
Sep 24, 2008
Messages
21
The little sister headed off to college, so I was naturally enlisted to help her pick out a laptop. I had her set up with a Lenovo T530, upgraded screen but otherwise fairly stock. Ordered that direct from Lenovo in mid-august, only to have them fail to deliver it not once, but twice. Now the parts are on backorder and it will be more than a month, so that order is being canceled.

I pushed hard for her to get a Lenovo due to the build quality and the fact she's a bit rough on things, but Lenovo didn't seem to want to cooperate lol. Budget is $800, but the lower the better. She only needs a sturdy wordprocessing/web browsing/occasional movie machine, but she insists on a full 15" form factor--any other laptops that might fit the bill? I was thinking the Dell or HP business lines, but I don't have any experience with those, so any insight you guys have would be appreciated.

* Was just informed that a backlit keyboard is a big sticking point.* Generally the only way to get those is to customize new machines, correct? I've been looking through both dell, lenovo, and HP outlets but have yet to find one with a backlit kb.

-Thanks
 
Last edited:
Outlet.dell.com and get a nice vostro and then tell her to take care of it and it will last at least 3-4 years. I picked up the following config for $735 delivered

i7
500GB 5400 rpm drive
AMD 7650 1GB
14" but the 15" can he had for the same or less.
Centrino 1030 Wireless N and BT 3.0
fingerprint reader
backlit keyboard
HD webcam
 
Back
Top