Laptop Advice

slobo

n00b
This may be wrong place to ask this question, but no other sub category seemed right.

I need to buy a laptop for my parents. The budget is 600-1200, prefer sub 1k.

Uses:
1) Basic web browsing with some business apps
2) Needs to handle BASIC video encoding and editing (will be used for converting VHS tapes into digital, adding music, deleting scenes) software recommendation that is easy to learn would be helpful. I realize that final cut pro is way too complicated.
3) Weight doesn't matter, won't be carried
4) Min screen size 15.4
5) Operating system CANNOT BE VISTA (personally I like WIN 7, but im a bit worried to have to teach my parents to accept a new OS)
6) Battery life not relevant as it will be used by power source 98% of the time.

My problem is that I have always built my computers for myself and never used a laptop, so i have no idea how to go about this. I do not know brand reputation and even if i do, it is probably way out of date.

Who is better HP, Compac(had horrible experience with them), Dell, Lenovo ect.

P.S. I am 26 years old and wont have time to hand hold them through everything.

Thanks,

Slobo

This may be wrong place to ask this question, but no other sub category seemed right.

Mobile Computing subforum.

Anyway, in terms of quality, Lenovo tops them all IMO. Dell and HP are a close second.

From what you've described, virtually any Intel based laptop from $400 and up will meet those needs.

If mod can delete this, I have reposted it in the Mobil computing sub forum. Thank you.

Back