Lapping the XP-90?

DarkLegacy

[H]ard|Gawd
Anyone know where I can track down the correct procedure in doing so, or it isn't really needed. Setup is

AMD 3000+ (Coming in soon) 754
XP-90 HS with Pal Fan
MSI K8N Neo Plat

Using Artic Silver 5

Will defitnly be trying to OC it a bit.

Thx in Advance for all replies =).

-DarkLegacy

i have same setup as u only its a 939 socket.. i am getting the xp-120 with the delta 120mm fan soon.. i think u should get the xp-120 as well.. its a lot better..

I had no choice but to get the XP-90 becuase the Xp-120 wouldnt have fit on my board. Mostly due to the fact hat my VideoCard uses an Aftermarket Cooler. Take up a good half inch extra space from the back of the card.

-DarkLegacy

i love my xp-90! Its so massive, it cools my ddr as well as my 3000+. It's so damn big, its shocking.

*looks around* won't fit? Tell that to my MSI K8N Neo that's holding an XP-120 right now :D

i want pictures.. everyone is telling me how they can get xp-120 on their k8n neo plats.. i am gonna order next week, i don't want to be disappointed.. :eek:

I have had both the XP-120 and XP-90 and without a doubt the XP-90 performs better. I started with the XP-120 and "upgraded" to the XP-90 and my temps decresed by several degrees.

My temps are great with my XP-120....I don't see how I could possibly drop 7 degrees? You must have installed it incorrectly (the 120) somehow, because you have more surface area to radiate heat from, and more CFM with the 120mm fan....so how it could be cooler is beyond me.

Trust me, the XP-120 will fit fine. The heatpipes come close to the AGP slot but since all the heatsink/what-not are on the OTHER side it's not a problem. It overhands ur ram, but I installed my old memory after I installed my 120, then uninstalled that, and installed my PDP, without ever moving my XP-120.

Right now I'm idling at 26F (it's cold in here) and I load (after 20 mins) at 46C w/ 1.65v. I personally love this heatsink.

Sc4freak said:
:confused: I think you mean it the other way round
No, I dont. I am still using the XP-90 and I am not the first person to report this because I have seen several others say the same thing. I was very dissapointed with the performance of the XP-120 after "downgrading" from the SP-94, which is still the best hs I have used. I will say it again, I think the XP-120 is a complete POS.

Did we not lose the topic of the subject. Trust me you don't need to lap the dam thing and if you do make sure you buy the right kit and wet sand. As for the heat sink i would love to try one but me and my lapping of my p4 didn't go so well and i had to take the plate of so now my core is showing and have to use my 947-u cause it can move 1mm lower then any other heat sink. mine works great there is nor much better then xp-90 and the 120 to say that not even the 947 falls far behind

SputNick7 said:
Did we not lose the topic of the subject.
Since no one bothered to answer the guys question (instead berating him on the merits of the XP120 vs the XP90 :rolleyes: ) I guess I should.

These should help you out:
http://www.gideontech.com/content/articles/221/1
http://www.iamnotageek.com/a/4-p1.php
http://www.3dvelocity.com/reviews/easypckits/lapping.htm

Just pick up some wet/dry sandpaper (which ones you need to get are mentioned in the articles) and follow along to one of those.

tsuehpsyde, you say it's idling at 26 degrees F? thats like -3 degrees celcius...It must be damn cold there

Wow,

I have been building computers and overclocking for a long time and somehow I missed the whole lapping thing. I can not believe I have not heard of this before. Thanks DarkLegacy for the post and thanks CrimandEvil for the great links. Seems easy enough guess I am off to lap my xp-120. It kind of scares me to do the same to the cpu though but maybe after reading a bit more I will think about it. It is always nice to learn something new. Thanks again.

I meant 26 Degrees C :p It's not THAT damn cold in here lol....Idle temps are very much decided by ambiant temps....but load generally isn't. It took some time for the AS5 to settle in, but I have no idea how anyone can refer to an XP-120 as a POS....someone must have either A. bad case ventilation, or B. Is in a group of people that don't know how to properly install a heatsink :p jk Idunno, seems weird the XP-120 would give anyone higher temps...I can pump 1.7v true non-dropped voltage into my CPU and pull 2.45GHz out of this chip and I believe it was at 53C load? This cooler is the best, bar none, imo.

As far as lapping, you don't need to at all....they're smooth enough for ya once you get it. Just try to not put fingerprints and the like on it. Also remembe to completely clean off your CPU because if there's old thermal compound left on there, it won't bond to the heatsink very well with different compounds in the mix.

Just be aware that the XP-120 will DAMATICALLY increase ur cases ambient temps....i mean, by a shitload. Right now, my case is cold to the touch, and the temp sensor reads 81.2 Degrees F. Now, if I were to put Prime95 on for about 20-30 minutes if that, the temp goes up (mind you, no GPU intensive stuff going on) to about 94 Degrees F, and the case actually becomes warm to the touch (not just briskly warm, like very noticably hot...but not like burning to the touch). The XP-120 does a great job of getting the heat OFF the CPU, but it radiates it into the case, so it's your job to get it out of the case. ;)

DarkLegacy said:
I had no choice but to get the XP-90 becuase the Xp-120 wouldnt have fit on my board. Mostly due to the fact hat my VideoCard uses an Aftermarket Cooler. Take up a good half inch extra space from the back of the card.

-DarkLegacy
it fits fine for me...
xp120installed.jpg

I enjoy my XP120....I am getting 2.6ghz from 2.2ghz, and only 44-45°C Full load, idle's at 38-39°C, and this is in hot ass texas.....

Doesn't the XP line have the shiney nickel coating on the heatsink? If you lapped it wouldn't it remove the nickely goodness?

Megadeth_Guy01 said:
Doesn't the XP line have the shiney nickel coating on the heatsink? If you lapped it wouldn't it remove the nickely goodness?

Yes, you would. I have no idea why you'd want to lap an XP-90, it is already very shiny.

The one I have has the machinary markings on it In circle patterns. Looks like it was cut in a tad bit deeper when I was looking at it compred to a friends of mines. So wanted to lap it to get the best possible performance out of it.

-DarkLegacy

I doubt the base is nickel coated. with heatsinks it's best to try and avoid having multiple (if any) thermal junctions aparrt from where the heatsink meets the cpu die.

I don't see how lapping would cause any harm so I'd say go ahead if you have the time

SquallRealm said:
i have same setup as u only its a 939 socket.. i am getting the xp-120 with the delta 120mm fan soon.. i think u should get the xp-120 as well.. its a lot better..
SquallRealm said:
i want pictures.. everyone is telling me how they can get xp-120 on their k8n neo plats.. i am gonna order next week, i don't want to be disappointed.. :eek:
I believe it fits the K8N Neo but not the Neo2. They're not arranged the same, look at pictures of both and you'll see the Neo2 has a couple more capacitors in close proximity to the socket.

DaMiEn said:
I doubt the base is nickel coated.

Hmm... I doubt that this shiney silvery metal is platinum... :eek: maybe it's... nickel?!?!

nickel.jpg

I think Mr. Pretty Thermalright Heatsink is indeed nickel coated/plated.

Too bad this thread went on about xp-120, Id love to know how much lapping helps, my xp-90 came with the circles too. Ive been reading some on lapping is it worth it ? I know I could find the time.

in some cases the xp-90c cools better than the xp-120
i just orderd my 90c after reading around 10 reviews on it in most cases it was a couple degrees C cooler than the 120

I have no idea why you'd want to lap an XP-90, it is already very shiny

well, lapping is not about making the HS shinny, at least for me it isnt. Its about making the surface as flat as possible so you get better contact with your cpu.

the XP-90 is a great HS and you can make it even better by lapping it my temps droped from 47C to 41C on my P4 3.0 just by lapping, amazing isnt it :D

.xXLucidXx. said:
in some cases the xp-90c cools better than the xp-120
i just orderd my 90c after reading around 10 reviews on it in most cases it was a couple degrees C cooler than the 120

Thanx for yet another great contribution.

Krayzie135 said:
well, lapping is not about making the HS shinny, at least for me it isnt.

the XP-90 is a great HS and you can make it even better by lapping it my temps droped from 47C to 41C on my P4 3.0 just by lapping, amazing isnt it :D

WoW is that at LOAD temps ?
Frankly Im a lil dissapointed with my xp-90, its doing 41 at idle and 47 load, was expecting a couple degrees lower.

yes those are load temps with prime :p and today i decided to try the thermal paste i got with my XP-90 :eek: my temps dropped 2C load and idle, i was using AS5 before, so much for its the best thermal paste ;)
idle-31
load-39/40

and for a lapping guide you can search google but i think its not needed as this was my first HS to lapp, its actually pretty easy :cool:

Krayzie135 said:
yes those are load temps with prime :p and today i decided to try the thermal paste i got with my XP-90 :eek: my temps dropped 2C load and idle, i was using AS5 before, so much for its the best thermal paste ;)
idle-31
load-39/40

and for a lapping guide you can search google but i think its not needed as this was my first HS to lapp, its actually pretty easy :cool:

The huge thermalright syringe is good ? LOL. I have AS5 on it too, anyways, I guess Ill give lapping a good try then. You have a 3.0C right ?

Im gettin the temps I stated above with stock voltages, anything higher and temps go to the 50's, thats why Im going crazy looking for something to get my temps down. Im also modding my case as soon as I get my 120mm fan and some grills.

yes its the 3.0C

DarkLegacy
you should try to lapp its simple and also lapp your cpu if you're not scared ;) all you realy need is around 800 grit but if you want shinny then go as high as u want

i cant take pics :p
click pics to see better

Krayzie135 said:
yes its the 3.0C

DarkLegacy
you should try to lapp its simple and also lapp your cpu if you're not scared ;) all you realy need is around 800 grit but if you want shinny then go as high as u want

i cant take pics :p
click pics to see better

Wow thats something, Im definitly too scared to do it to my CPU though lol.

Krayzie135 said:
idle-31
load-39/40

*caution* thread resurrected, old thread.

Well you can see plus/minus 2C because of ambient air temp. So i don't know that you can right away claim that it was the thermal compound making the difference.

I found this thread by searching because my XP-90 (not the copper) has a pretty rough base, no sticker over it or anything and I am kind of disappointed. I am considering lapping mine. Frozencpu.com sells a kit for $12, my local Lowes hardware didn't have any sandpaper above like 400 :(

-PHiZ

OrionNT said:
No, I dont. I am still using the XP-90 and I am not the first person to report this because I have seen several others say the same thing. I was very dissapointed with the performance of the XP-120 after "downgrading" from the SP-94, which is still the best hs I have used. I will say it again, I think the XP-120 is a complete POS.

PWND

Back