• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Lapped CPU and TRUE.. increase tension?

Copyright

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Nov 17, 2000
Messages
6,004
I know with heatsink lapped and the cpu lapped there is some material that has been removed and I am curious if I should be using any time of thin washers to increase spring pressure on the TRUE or if I am just find with the stock setup? This CPU was not that far off from being flat unlike the last one I did. Thanks for any input!
 
Even without lapping many TRUE users want to increase heatsink pressure (usually the heatsink can twist easily even if screwed down tight). Most people put a washer underneath the clamps. Look for pics of the 'washer mod' for the TRUE for info.
 
Yeah, the washer mod is a good idea in any case. Since you did remove some material there is a possibility that you'll have slightly reduced contact compared to an unlapped cooler, so just to be on the safe side I recommend you do it.
 
everyone i know that has a true uses washers because it isn't a vey good fit otherwise (wiggles a lot)
 
I'm having a hard time finding the washer mod. You guys have any links or pics?

EDIT: Found some pics. I think the penny an dime idea is kinda stupid considering the screw head cannot fall into place and sit flush. Now the washer is a good idea. I see some guys using some sort of hard rubber and some using metal. Which is better?
 
I know this is a stupid question, but where exactly do you buy/find washers at? There is no home depot where I live so what other establishments can I go to to find a washer? Also what are washers used for anyway? I know in this case its to keep the TRUE from moving but what is its purpose outside of stabilizing the TRUE?
 
Washer is for when you bolt/screw something down, and it evenly distributes pressure among the surface.
 
The washer is put between the bracket and the TRUE to increase tension. With mine and many others there seems to be issues with tension. I found there are revisions that actually come with a nylon style washer with thier bracket. Mine does not have this washer and so I will find and add one. I will probably lap the washer to make sure it is completely flat. Its a small step to garuntee a flush seat when installed.
 
my black TRUE can twist a tiny bit but the temps are great already so im not bothered about screwing it down tighter.
 
I know this is a stupid question, but where exactly do you buy/find washers at? There is no home depot where I live so what other establishments can I go to to find a washer? Also what are washers used for anyway? I know in this case its to keep the TRUE from moving but what is its purpose outside of stabilizing the TRUE?

Washers can be found at any hardware store. If there's no Home Depot near where you live, try looking for a different store or even a smaller-style shop.

Also, they're generally used to distribute the pressure applied by a screw head if the head is too small. With certain materials, small screw heads can apply too much pressure to a small surface and can damage it or even pass through it completely, so washers are used to spread the force out over a greater surface area and prevent this from happening.
 
Washer is for when you bolt/screw something down, and it evenly distributes pressure among the surface.

The washer is put between the bracket and the TRUE to increase tension. With mine and many others there seems to be issues with tension. I found there are revisions that actually come with a nylon style washer with thier bracket. Mine does not have this washer and so I will find and add one. I will probably lap the washer to make sure it is completely flat. Its a small step to garuntee a flush seat when installed.

Washers can be found at any hardware store. If there's no Home Depot near where you live, try looking for a different store or even a smaller-style shop.

Also, they're generally used to distribute the pressure applied by a screw head if the head is too small. With certain materials, small screw heads can apply too much pressure to a small surface and can damage it or even pass through it completely, so washers are used to spread the force out over a greater surface area and prevent this from happening.

Thank you all for the explanation, helped me to understand why a washer is used and why it is used for a TRUE.
 
I added a washer underneath the clamp of my TRUE 120 and the thing still wiggles just as much as without the washer..
 
I got mine on today.. much much less wiggle. This made a big difference on mine and hopefully my temps reflect it.
 
My temps seem to be really good. With it at stock clock im getting low low 30s at idle and my peak after an hour of OCCT was 47C. I now have it at 8x425 @ 1.45V and seeing a peak of 59C after 4 hours of OCCT. I took it to 9x400 @ 1.53V but failed OCCT after 20 minutes... my temp was 61C at that time. Dont know if I will get 3.6 stable and not sure its worth it. My 8x425 doesnt seem so bad at the lower voltage.
 
It could if you get crazy about it. But Intel is expecting and specifies a fairly high clamping force of 43 +/- 10 lbs force.

In short you tighten it up until it will not wiggle at all when you try to twist it with moderate hand force.

A note: Above description of the function of a washer is correct most of the time. However in this application it is acting as a spacer to further compress the mounting springs and thus increase the clamping force of the mounting assembly.

From Intels. Thermal and Mechanical Specifications for Core 2 processors easily found at Intel.com : ( it seems obvious that many aftermarket heatsink designers never bothered to read said document. )

Ensuring system electrical, thermal, and structural integrity under shock and
vibration events. The mechanical requirements of the heatsink attach mechanism
depend on the mass of the heatsink and the level of shock and vibration that the
system must support. The overall structural design of the motherboard and the
system have to be considered when designing the heatsink attach mechanism.
Their design should provide a means for protecting LGA775 socket solder joints.
One of the strategies for mechanical protection of the socket is to use a preload
and high stiffness clip. This strategy is implemented by the reference design and
described in Section 6.6.

Structural design strategy for the Intel RCFH-4 Reference Solution is to minimize
upward board deflection during shock to help protect the LGA775 socket.
The reference design uses a high clip stiffness that resists local board curvature under
the heatsink, and minimizes, in particular, upward board deflection (Figure 20). In
addition, a moderate preload provides initial downward deflection.

The target metal clip nominal stiffness is 540 N/mm [3100 lb/in]. The combined target
for reference clip and fasteners nominal stiffness is 380 N/mm [2180 lb/in]. This is
consistent with the results for the RCBFH-3 design. The nominal preload provided by
the Intel RCFH-4 reference design is 191.3 N ± 44.5 N [43 lb ± 10 lb].
 
so which manufacturer has the best design for HSF retension bracket..TRUE with their hold down bracket http://www.silentpcreview.com/article759-page2.html,
the noctua nu12p 2-step screw bracket http://www.silentpcreview.com/article850-page3.html
or zalman 9500 style bracket http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=2026

or like the zerotherm zen bracket which is a mix of the noctua and thermalrighthttp://www.silentpcreview.com/article849-page3.html

Any good bolt-down mounting system will do the job properly. The actual specifics of the mechanism aren't important as long as they exert enough clamping force, which all the brackets you listed do.
 
Back
Top