LAN games at work

PrincessFrosty

Supreme [H]ardness
We have an office of about 40 people at work, my boss used to be a bit of a gamer and I might be able to get him to sign off on an incentive for the office to play a large multi-player LAN games from time to time.

I was trying to think what really old games are likely to run on old Dual Core XP machines with 1-2Gb of RAM and basic intel integrated chipsets, and something that people are likely to want to join in with...it's tempting to say something like Quake but honestly I think FPS games will limit who will want to join in, ideally I'd like to get as many people involved as possible.

Let's say up to 24 player, LAN capable, low graphics requirements and easy to pick up and have a good laugh. Any suggestions?

Where do you work, I want to join, j/k. Actually, I used to be able to play Quake III LAN games during my lunch break at my old part time job, doing IT work, but that was long ago.

I don't know any games off-hand, but here is a good place to start: http://www.co-optimus.com/system.php?id=4&sort=lan&direction=ASC . Co-op games are more likely more user friendly, as opposed to competitive DM, so this is why I suggested to look here.

Heh well a lot of our staff are in a call centre and they tend to get a lot of performance based incentives, for example they did well last week so we had a half day, went and had lunch, drinks and bowling on the company.

I just thought GTA 1/2 would be awesome with loads of us bombing around, but they're 6 player Max. Something similar to this would be really awesome though, GTA with like 20+ people would be hilarious.

Worms. We used to play eng vs it back in the day, it was a blast.

I play a newer version with my GF's kid, it's still a ton of fun.

we play Unreal Tournament GOTY Edition on lunch here. And Age of Empires 3.

I do like worms, however with lots of players and small teams turns will take ages and I can see people getting bored, plus if it's like 1 worm each I can see a lot of players being 1 shot into the water and sitting out most of the game.

UT99 did cross my mind, but might be too hard for a lot of people to pick up and play.

At my old internship job, we used to play UT99 and Half-life dm, teamfortress 1.

Warcraft 2? It's a simple RTS that's easy to setup on a LAN. I can't remember the player limit, though. It might be 4 per map. :/

Warcraft 2? It's a simple RTS that's easy to setup on a LAN. I can't remember the player limit, though. It might be 4 per map. :/

8 per map.

I second this.

But if everyone in the group is playing, and they all want to play in the same game, you'll Need BF2 or BF1942. They might be able to handle it.

We used to play Total Annihilation at my last job. My old IT director would play WoW any time he could at work.

Minecraft is so tempting I have to say, but you need regular play and lots of time to make the most of that really. I think we need more instant gratification.

I don't think we'll see enough people playing to fill a 32 player server, I'm guessing at a stretch 20 people might join in, but probably not even that many if it's something like an FPS which isn't as friendly to new players.

Maybe one of the older Serious Sam games?

I'm not sure why FPS would limit players...I would think RTS requires more thinking/strategy whereas FPS can just be good old-fashioned shooting fun.

Heroes Might and Magic III
Age of Empires
Empire Earth
Soldier of Fortune
Unreal Tournament

Back