LaCie 24" IPS 1920x1200

interesting, thanks. i wonder how it stacks up to the nec pa241w. would like to see some reviews.

It's listed but not available in their online store yet. With an ETA of 'Early October'.

According to their press release the P is for Premium-IPS, hehe.

6ms gtg, hmm. C'mon reviews.

This caught my eye in the warrantee:

• New Product Exchange for Your First Six Months
If you experience any issues with a LaCie product in its first six months, LaCie will ship you a brand new product.

After 2 returns with NEC and getting 2 SHIT units back from their B-stock. AFAIC, NEC and their policy of replacing units with b-stock crap can go F themselves. LaCie just scored some points with this jaded NEC customer.

Last edited:
Hehe, ya I looked at their spec sheet and the panel type is labeled "P-IPS", but in the user manual they just state "Wide Gamut IPS". All market-babble.

If they live up to the warranty that's pretty great. With the VA Benqs, LG "Premium" IPSs, and this, I think Q4 2010 looks like more options finally.

It's listed but not available in their online store yet. With an ETA of 'Early October'.

According to their press release the P is for Premium-IPS, hehe.

6ms gtg, hmm. C'mon reviews.

This caught my eye in the warrantee:

• New Product Exchange for Your First Six Months
If you experience any issues with a LaCie product in its first six months, LaCie will ship you a brand new product.

After 2 returns with NEC and getting 2 SHIT units back from their B-stock. AFAIC, NEC and their policy of replacing units with b-stock crap can go F themselves. LaCie just scored some points with this jaded NEC customer.

That is a huge selling point to me. If you throw down $1200 on a monitor you want it to be damn perfect. Still pretty hard to justify this monitor though unless you're doing professional photo work.

Isn't this a rebranded monitor of another manufacturer?
I recall LaCie selling their own rebranded NEC SpectraView 2690 (maybe other models also).

How is this any better than a normal IPS panel, like a Dell U2410? For that matter, how is better to the tune of 3x the cost?

LaCie have a long history of just rebadging NEC (and others) products and bundling LaCie colour software. I haven't compared the specs on these, but I would expect this to just be the LaCie brand version of the NEC PA241W

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TFT_LCD

P-IPS = Performance IPS. According to wikipedia, it should offer more color depth. I'm very interested in this monitor since it has tons of features (it has a hood and an optional calibrator!) :)

Please don't rely on that Wikipedia page. It seems to have been abandoned by anyone with knowledge of liquid crystals.

It states that MVA is "as a compromise between TN and IPS.", which is a line directly stolen from TFTCentral. Anyone who knows how VA works will tell you that VA has little in common with TN or IPS.

It also states that IPS has"... almost no off-angle color shift". This is not true. IPS has significant horizontal and vertical colour shift.

Really?! Are you sure?

Yes. IPS tints blue off-angle horizontally and yellow vertically. It has been effectively compensated in modern IPS designs, but it still occurs. If you have an IPS panel you can test it out with a grey-scale image.

Yes. IPS tints blue off-angle horizontally and yellow vertically. It has been effectively compensated in modern IPS designs, but it still occurs. If you have an IPS panel you can test it out with a grey-scale image.

I think you're refering to e-IPS, not IPS in general. I have two IPS monitors, S-IPS and H-IPS. Neither exhibits such color shift unless the viewing angle is extreme, e.g. 170+ degrees.

BTW, LaCie is P-IPS, not e-IPS.

As far as I know all current IPS panels are just progressive developments off of h-ips and s-ips, which differ in terms of pixel alignment. All the other prefixs being floated around are not true new panel types from a technological perspective.

Back