L5640 not getting bigadv

Doozer

2[H]4U
Anyone else not getting bigadv WUs for their L5640?

I'm pulling nothing but A3

Anyone else not getting bigadv WUs for their L5640?

I'm pulling nothing but A3

Alas, I think Stanford is either out of bigadv and running so low that drawing one is becoming very difficult.

Folding2 has drawn 2 straight regular work units ever since finishing a bigadv earlier today.

I got 3 or 4 standard WUs in a row today, so be patient and see if you eventually get a bigadv. I just checked again and I finally pulled one, and a good one at that (P2692).

My dedicated got regular WU for the last day and a half, but I just picked up a 2685 four hours ago.
Didn't put the -oneunit on in time. Now I have to wait until she is done before I throw on the L5640!

Nothing but SMP and 6701s for me since yesterday.

No huge deal, as I have to shut done FAH to render an animation for a while, but still.

I've been on a week now, one bigadv, one reg, one big, one reg, etc
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

My 2 i7's are both currently running Big Adv WUs. I completed one today and picked up a new one. I will drop another one tomorrow...we'll see what I pick up.

Stanford's servers are frequently out of -bigadv WUs and consequently sending regular SMP WUs instead. It could take some time even one or two days between -bigadv WUs. Until this is resolved we will just have to accept the situation for what it is.

My i7 has had -bigadv turned on for about a week now and not a single WU. :confused:
There is something amiss with your setup. One week is way too long a time, IMO. Make certain you have big packets configured in your client setup.

I thought the new smp was hardcoded to big?

Well darn, folding2 just pulled its straight 3rd regular work unit. At least it isn't pulling any of those crappy 670x's as the ones it has been pulling are really fast. Folding1 is still munching on a 2684 and won't be done for another 2 days.

I just picked up another -bigadv on one of my i7-920's, right after uploading the finished results from a 2684.

same here, sent one in about half an hour ago and got another nice bigadv unit, 86

I thought the new smp was hardcoded to big?

I read on the folding forums that it was supposed to be, but if you have the packet size set to small you'll get a packet size too big error in the log. I got the error when bigadv was first released for Windows.

Would copying the logfile/unitinfo (not the WU) from a machine that is getting them work? Perhaps only machines that have been getting them are getting more right now??

I dont think thats the case, Skynet just started bigadv last week, before that it was months of A3 normals

I think this has been going on for more than a week, just a high server load. What I think is really happening is we are sucking up all the bigadv so fast stanford is having a hard time keeping up. I mean, less than 2 weeks ago the top two teams doubled their production, and some of the other top 10 have been stepping it up too

They are just running low right now. Im sure a lot of hit has to do with the GPU3 WU demand, those seem to be flying off the shelves.

For the conspiracy nuts out there I leave this....what if...what if...Nvidia is paying Stanford to hold off on sending out bigadv units for right now???? Just hear me out, so that the EVGA team (who must be heavily GPU laden) can beat us out and hit 4bill ASAP??@?@??!??!!!??

Huh...Huh??? Put your tin hats on people!!!

J/K.....or am I?

I'm just anxious to see how my L5640 chews through bigadv. I've got it running at 3.6ghz at 215 blck right now. It will hit 220blck but I didn't have time to mess with it anymore.

For the conspiracy nuts out there I leave this....what if...what if...Nvidia is paying Stanford to hold off on sending out bigadv units for right now???? Just hear me out, so that the EVGA team (who must be heavily GPU laden) can beat us out and hit 4bill ASAP??@?@??!??!!!??

Huh...Huh??? Put your tin hats on people!!!

J/K.....or am I?

I think somebody is knocking on your door right now....

I think somebody is knocking on your door right now....

Haha my friend, I'm not falling for that one. I'm not getting out of my personal Faraday cage to check the door.

Just as an aside, I haven't pulled any big advance for awhile now, A3's only for the past 5ish (maybe 6?) units pulled. But I've been folding on the i7 on and off using the -oneunit, I think Ill just leave it on the next week or two though.

edit- Actually you know what I'm using only the -advmethods tag

Well after pulling nothing but regular work units all yesterday and all night long, folding2 has finally pulled a 2685 bigadv. I would prefer a 2692 or 2686(both are supercharged bigadv's), but at least it isn't one of those crummy 2684's.

I hate the 2684s as much as the rest of you guys but I wouldn't mind seeing how my machine would handle one now with all that extra core goodness

well after looking at the FHM.net logs, looks I like I am with most of you. Getting 1 to 2 regular WUs and one to two Big Adv WUs. I've got 2 i7 920 rigs that are dedicated to Big Adv and they are similar in that regard.

I hate the 2684s as much as the rest of you guys but I wouldn't mind seeing how my machine would handle one now with all that extra core goodness

When folding2 gets a 2684, my TPF's plummet from 24-26 minutes on a 2685, 2686, or 2692 to 36 minutes on the 2684's. Huge drop in ppd :(

What I think is really happening is we are sucking up all the bigadv so fast stanford is having a hard time keeping up. I mean, less than 2 weeks ago the top two teams doubled their production, and some of the other top 10 have been stepping it up too
Absolutely. I've been looking at the top 5 teams the past few weeks and there has been a general production increase throughout. OC.net and the Russians have really kicked it up a few notches and if it weren't for our ramp to thwart EVGA's ascension, we would have more than them to worry about...

Nvidia is paying Stanford to hold off on sending out bigadv units for right now???? Just hear me out, so that the EVGA team (who must be heavily GPU laden)
Actually, not as much as people believe proportionally speaking. We may have a higher percentage of CPU clients especially recently with the big push for multi-socket systems and hex-cores, but -bigadv has seen a very high adoption rate among EVGA members since the beginning. During the A2 -bigadv days, the most popular method of running -bigadv non-natively was using the EVGA VM image created by one of their team's members. EVGA also benefited from a number of individuals who have access to large server farms at work for a long time now. I don't think these farms are GPU-based. Only since this past summer have we acquired a few people with enterprise equipment on a continuous basis. That is a very short time in comparison to EVGA's top guns who've folded for them before -bigadv was even available to everyone. We are late to the party but at least we arrived in style.

Last edited:
We are late to the party but at least we arrived in style.

Yes, Style, in a sea of Black and Red, with the letters S, R, and the number 2 all thrashing about in it :p

Just how many SR-2's are on the team atm anyways?

Yes, Style, in a sea of Black and Red, with the letters S, R, and the number 2 all thrashing about in it :p
Exactly! :D

Just how many SR-2's are on the team atm anyways?
I'd wager close to a dozen if we include those that aren't online yet, probably more... :eek:

Not online should put that count over a dozen

I seriously think we lead the way in SR2 adoption, I think it would be cool to start a thread with all the current SR2 owners and their rig's PPD, just to get a rough sketch of how much of the team output is from those monsters. I'd bet once everyone comes online it would be near a million

Out of curiosity, anyone else been able to get any bigadv work units? Both folding1 and 2 have been crunching on regular stuff all day and night so far.

My 980X has been running standard SMP all day. However, the SR-2 finished a 2684 and immediately got a 2686.

My 980X has been running standard SMP all day. However, the SR-2 finished a 2684 and immediately got a 2686.

Since it is for the team, better your SR2 gets that rare 2686 than me. At least i'm not alone as I was beginning to wonder. Normally I get a couple of regular stuff and then finally pull another bigadv, but not today.

At least i'm not alone as I was beginning to wonder. Normally I get a couple of regular stuff and then finally pull another bigadv, but not today.

Same here. The 980X has done nine standard WUs in a row, and it just pulled a tenth. There must be a real shortage of bigadv.

There's usually at least a day delay between -bigadv WUs with my systems. Rarely do I see consecutive -bigadv units.

Not online should put that count over a dozen

I seriously think we lead the way in SR2 adoption, I think it would be cool to start a thread with all the current SR2 owners and their rig's PPD, just to get a rough sketch of how much of the team output is from those monsters. I'd bet once everyone comes online it would be near a million

Yeah. I just ordered my second SR2 as my backup rig, this time with x5660's, which will be able to fold a lot more of the month than my main rig. Two 4.2 Ghz SR2s both getting bigadv (not likely right now!) would be good for 260,000 ppd a day, so yes, all those SR2s when up to speed should be good for a few million.

Team 33 is like the USN in the pacific in 1942 - holding on with a few aircraft carriers while dozens more are building, nearing completion... look out Imperial EVGA ;)

g294131.jpg

Well darn.

We are now on day 2 of both folding1 and 2 not being able to draw a single bigadv :(

To be honest, I would not be disappointed if we wern't in a fight with eVGA as I am a bigger fan of the science that is being done with the regular SMP work units. The bigadv project appears to be aimed at studying the flu virus, and not protein folding.

Back