• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

L4D2 Straw Poll

Are you buying L4D2?

  • I've already preordered or plan to in the near future

    Votes: 74 27.4%
  • I'm planning to buy it once I see some reviews after release

    Votes: 29 10.7%
  • I'll buy it when it's deeply discounted (50% or less)

    Votes: 122 45.2%
  • Valve won't see a penny of my money for this "sequel"

    Votes: 45 16.7%

  • Total voters
    270

Oldie

Mean Old Administrator
2FA
Joined
Jan 12, 2004
Messages
21,935
So, I'm just kind of curious who's buying and who's still planning to boycott L4D2. While I would obviously love more free content for L4D1, I could never make a case that I didn't get my money's worth out of it, and I paid full price. I can understand how that's not the case for others.

So, did you preorder already, do you plan to at all, or is it still persona non-grata on your game list? :p

I've got a few friends I'm going to buy a 4-pack with, so we're getting it at $33 a piece, which isn't to bad at all. :cool: Preorders get access to a baseball bat melee weapon, and early access to the demo.

Just a reminder as well, advertising/asking others to participate in a group buy on a 4-pack is not allowed here, so if that's something you're interested in, please don't post requests for others to contact you about one in the thread. That's what PM's are for.
;)
 
Of course I'm preordering it. :) 4 pack with some people from another forum. May do another one with family.
 
This will be the first game from valve I don't plan on pre-ordering. I did like l4d1 but I think i would be more enthusiastic if they fixed some of the server side issues. Another thing is actual playing though a whole campaign. VS or co-op has gotten kinda old. Even with the new content my buddies and I only really wanted to play one night and that was enough.

I not really boycotting it I just don't feel like its that much different and really hasn't followed their tradition of getting a game out and supporting it for years. Maybe if EVERYONE gets I will too or in a few months when they have a 15 buck weekend.
 
I fully plan on getting it, but I am waiting to make sure my friends are getting it too.
 
I'm definitely getting it on release. Really enjoyed L4D despite the community issues (rage quitting, griefing, anti social language, racism (UK players hated by Europe) Built up a group of friends despite many of them now stopping playing. I hope that the good players of old will be getting L4D2.... should be fun
 
Last edited:
I'm gona pre-order it and maybe do a group buy to save a few bucks if I can find another 2, possibly 3 people to do it.
 
I'll buy it when some ebay seller starts handing out keys for 20 bucks.
 
Im a big fan of valve and most of their great games, but im a little mixed about the l4d/l4d2 thing. I love l4d and only paid 20 for it right after it came out and dont plan on paying more then 20 for l4d2 for things they should have added to l4d. Though if Crash Course is anything like a hint of l4d2 I wont even play the demo. They totally pussified the game and broke the cevo settings. 4 to 5 teir 2 weapon spots, 100 molos/pipes, and 6+ kits per lvl, 5 rooms speical infecos cant get in to. I want my cevo servers back. *end exaggerated rant*
 

I think the boycotters have some pretty valid points. Seriously, there's really no excuse for there not being more official maps by now. I think it's pretty clear to see that a lot of the people who would be pushing L4D1 content out were reassigned to the sequel. Crash Course's primary purpose has been as a marketing tool, and that's it. They very clearly timed it to get people to play again right before L4D2 went on pre-order on purpose. I'm also quite skeptical that they're going to continue providing any kind of serious content updates for L4D1. I hope I'm proven wrong, but I just don't think so.

That said, I've gotten plenty of "bang" for my buck out of L4D1 and what I've seen of L4D2 makes me think I'll play it pretty regularly.
 
Based on the comments I just read on the steamcommunity.com 'group', I'd imagine 3/4 of that 40000 member 'group' has already pre-ordered L4D2.

LOL @ manifesto.

I wont be buying L4D2 since I already have loyalty with EA and the NHL series when it comes to $$$ for yearly patches.

People who enjoy a game will pay for major upgrades in graphics and gameplay though. There looks to be some rockin' deals for pre-ordering L4D2 ($44.99), as well as some great 4-pack deals. For the millions of hours a L4D player will be playing the game, it doesn't sound very expensive to me...
 
So, I'm just kind of curious who's buying and who's still planning to boycott L4D2. While I would obviously love more free content for L4D1, I could never make a case that I didn't get my money's worth out of it, and I paid full price. I can understand how that's not the case for others.

I feel the same way. I wish they had released more content for L4D1, but I certainly got my money's worth considering how much I play it. I don't even play versus or survival that much, I just enjoy cooperatively running the campaigns with strangers. Even if I've blazed through them with a good team, it's still fun to do it with bad players because it presents a challenge for me to pick up their slack and still win.

I'll get L4D2 because I know I'll replay those stock campaigns and love it.

I have definitely modified my expectations of value from Valve games though. When they promise additional content, I know not to expect what they did with TF2, but instead what they did with L4D1.
 
I finally started playing Killing Floor this week.. HOLY SHIT its so much better than L4D. It actually gives you reasons to wanna play with other people instead of avoiding them like the plague. the medic and support classes really make the game less repetitious unlike L4D which just felt like a rail shooter.

This makes me kinda sad that Valve can't make games better than modders. Seriously Valve suck it up and admit L4D is just a mod like Counter-strike source, DoD source, Team Fortress 2. No story, like 4 weapons(OMG like 8 in L4D2), Multiplayer thats no different than single player. $20 Valve thats what its worth and thats all I'm paying.


Sorry for the rant its just that after getting into Killing Floor which was 14.99 the $50 price tag on L4D2 just blows my mind.

paid 14.97 L4D
 
Last edited:
I'm holding off for now and wait and see reviews but even if it gets game of the year all around, 90+%, ect I still probably won't buy it until it's 30$ or cheaper just because I'm a little annoyed valve has seemingly done nothing to make sure l4d2 doesnt screw over the multiplayer community in the first one. If it were an expansion I'd have no problems with it, I just think how they're making it is really disrespectful to their customers who paid full price for a game they'd undercut a year later. It's like if WoW were released and a bunch of people bought it and a year later they released WoW 2 rather than an expansion.
 
I was bored with L4D by the time we reached the airport. Never finished it, won't be buying the "sequel."
 
What I'd like to know, is how many of the people voting actually bought it full price and are in the last 2 options now. I got mine for 30+ship off amazon a few days after release, so I can't bitch too much. But I'm not rushing to be a early adopter this time.
 
I won't be buying it, but that's just because I'm not interested in the game at all.
 
L4D was fun, but held my interest for about two weeks at best. L4D2 seems to be exaggerating a handful of things I dislike in a game. The excessively unrealistic gore, which is over-amplified with the melee weapons, being at the top of my list.

This is a personal preference that I understand is not shared by everybody (so you can save your dissertation :) ). I have no issues with them releasing a sequel this soon, so long as they continue to make good on their word concerning further L4D support and are busy working on HL2:Ep.3. I will not be buying the game purey out of lack of interest, that is all.
 
I'll only buy it when it is 50% off or more on Steam.
 
So 99 voters so far, between outright not buying it, and waiting for a heavy discout, we're talking 60% of people. I'm going to be really interested to see the final numbers of players at launch, at least if it's low they wont have to worry about the game being unplayable for the first few weeks like L4D was.
 
hmm
I wouldn't pre-order it, unless my friends that I normally game with pre-order it too.

I would probably get L4D2 when its on sale.

I thought the first game was a good game but it falls rather short and gets repetitive fast.
(Used to be in that l4d2 boycott group but left it early, due to valve releasing DLC content.)
 
I paid $39 for L4D back when CC was still around. Let's just say that I felt I definitely overpaid. The first what, 6 to 8 months, with 2 fucking VS maps? Seriously? That tells me everything to me about how big L4D was a money grab for Valve. Compare that to TF2, which has gotten constant play since 2007. And TF2 came in the best deal ever, $19 for Orange Box from a B&M.

I feel anything more than $25 is overpaying...$50 for this is approaching LOL levels of overpay. I suppose if you REALLY have to have it, then the 4-pack for $33/each is the logical solution.
 
Im waiting till its cheaper, too soon after l4d 1 to bring out a sequel when it can just be an expansion for less money.
 
I'm gona pre-order it and maybe do a group buy to save a few bucks if I can find another 2, possibly 3 people to do it.

Same. I bought the first one for full price then like 2 weeks later it was on sale. I can wait. I'll be busy with Uncharted 2/Fallen Earth/Whatever else in the meantime.
 
I paid full price for L4D and I think I've barely enjoyed it. Going through the levels for the first time was fun, but doing it for the 100th time is not. Vs was only ever fun at LAN parties, never was fun online for me. I got bored of the game after the first week.

L4D2 is a big *pass* for me.
 
Pre-ordered it already. I'll play the single-player maps first...then play co-op. Then play versus...and once the community goes downhill, I'll move on.
 
Im waiting till its cheaper, too soon after l4d 1 to bring out a sequel when it can just be an expansion for less money.

This. There's enough people that I know that still play L4D1 so I'll just mess with that until it goes through the inevitable 50% sale or something.
 
I'll buy it for half price or less. I had fun playing L4D for a few weeks with some friends, but more of the same in a different map setting is not worth $50. Then again I didn't even pay for L4D, my friend gave it to me as a gift. Yah, it was fun, but I'm not paying full price for L4D2.
 
Back
Top