L4D? that good?

I payed full price (PC version) and don't regret it for a moment. I played the demo into the ground, bought it on release and have been playing it since. When you're with a good group of people, friends or not, the campaign mode can be good fun. The versus mode is a whole other game and be good for a laugh, especially when you dominate the other team.

They really need to add a few more normal campaigns. But yeah this game is out of this world. The last time I played a demo so much was the original Half-Life Demo. The spirit of Valve is everywhere in this game.

L4D coop can be a bit boring if you play it a lot, and not with people you know. but then, WoW, AOC, and other mmorpgs are boring grindfests, yet people play them. maybe L4D needs sparkly swords awarded at the end of campaigns

Funnily enough, had they implemented something where you geared up based on points, I would have stuck with it. Resistance 2/Cod4 style. Give me a title and a shitload of fun weapons to use. The game was a mod of the source engine, not a whole new title, and for me its not worth the money spent.

Funnily enough, had they implemented something where you geared up based on points, I would have stuck with it. Resistance 2/Cod4 style. Give me a title and a shitload of fun weapons to use. The game was a mod of the source engine, not a whole new title, and for me its not worth the money spent.
Yeah, it feels like you're running an instance in WOW, except there's no loot and everyone's the same class.

Funnily enough, had they implemented something where you geared up based on points, I would have stuck with it. Resistance 2/Cod4 style. Give me a title and a shitload of fun weapons to use.

indeed. I wouldn't doubt something like that might be modded in. SDK is released this spring I think.

The game rocks, it is the most fun my 3 gaming friends and I have had together in a long time. There is strategy, teamwork, and a lot of laughs. What else could you want? A few more maps would be nice, but they are coming out with a free x-pack soon. We got it Friday night when it was $24.95 on steam and played 3 hours Friday/Saturday/Sunday and are looking forward to this weekend.

I think it's amazing. I haven't been this addicted to a game since Warcraft 3: FT. It's all about teamwork, strategy, and having a good time. If you like those three things in a game, you will love it!

It's all about personal preference. I played Oblivion and was bored out of my mind. So much wandering, no teamwork, just solo sit by yourself hours on end. I played WoW for 30 minutes and wondered how people waste so many hours on it before I was bored.

There may not be that much content, but when you play VS mode, it doesn't matter because you will have so much fun playing it. And each time I play it, I try to plan out new strategies, which makes it even better!

Look at the poll for game of the year for 2008. That should tell you something:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1374926&highlight=goty

The people talking down this game obviously are the minority.

It's a fun game, but the real excitement is in the versus mode. Those who buy the game and play it for a couple hours solo and then say it doesn't have replay value haven't played the game the way it was meant to be played.

I enjoy the game alot i just wish people wouldnt leave after the first map and leave their teammates behind, it gets boring if that happens

The game was a mod of the source engine, not a whole new title, and for me its not worth the money spent.

Just like how Gears of War and Gears of War 2 were mods of Unreal Engine 3, or how Crysis was Crysis Warhead were mods of CryEngine 2, right? :confused:

It's a fun game, but the real excitement is in the versus mode. Those who buy the game and play it for a couple hours solo and then say it doesn't have replay value haven't played the game the way it was meant to be played.

I actually can't stand versus mode... it's all about co-op for me. Survival mode looks like it could be fun too.

I enjoy the game alot i just wish people wouldnt leave after the first map and leave their teammates behind, it gets boring if that happens

Ragequitting is a big problem, agreed.

I actually can't stand versus mode... it's all about co-op for me. Survival mode looks like it could be fun too.

Well at least using the multiplayer. Solo sucks.

I sure can't stand Final Fantasy games.

Between the length, stupid storylines, and general lameness, I've never had any interest in any of them.

So guess what?

I NEVER PLAY THEM. Some of the posters in this thread could really benefit from a similar game-purchasing strategy.

The game is alot of fun if you play with friends. Play with random people? Yeah, 4chan hell is a good way to describe it. Thanks valve, for no mute button. Anyways, my biggest gripe is connecting to a decent server.

The game is alot of fun if you play with friends. Play with random people? Yeah, 4chan hell is a good way to describe it. Thanks valve, for no mute button. Anyways, my biggest gripe is connecting to a decent server.

The servers really have been shit lately. And before anyone calls it out on the server admins, it's been happening to Valve and independent servers alike. It's a problem with their whole infrastructure it seems.

Though I definitely see Valve fixing it soon. I was very relieved to hear that the content update is FREE this coming Spring, and I can't wait to see what awesome scenarios people will be creating with the SDK! :eek:

I love L4D. I haven't played a game this obsessively since I first started playing CS 0.6.

If you have never played Versus mode with a microphone you don't deserve to comment on this game, because that is where the real legs are at in this game.

As others have also said, play with friends. If you don't have any friends that play it then play a lot of versus until you get fairly good, then when you find a few other good players add them to your friends list. Once you have a dozen or so you will be able to get a game together anytime you like with good players.

I became such good friends with one group of players that we ended up forming a caleague team. We stomped two teams in the pre-season and won our first official game by default because the team we destroyed 8300 to 1400 in first pre-season week couldn't get their team together for this weeks match for some reason. ;)

I sure can't stand Final Fantasy games.

Between the length, stupid storylines, and general lameness, I've never had any interest in any of them.

So guess what?

I NEVER PLAY THEM. Some of the posters in this thread could really benefit from a similar game-purchasing strategy.

True dat.

I bought it last week and so far it has been worth every cent to me. The first night I played with Harkonen and a few other [H] people and I played to 2:30 or so in the morning and I was still going strong. Haven't done that since my college days. I haven't yet grown bored of it nor do I find it repetitive, I do find it a great way to kill some time and spend some time working on strategies with friends and enjoying a mindless run and gun shooter.

Different strokes for different folks, but personally I enjoy it immensely.

Really great game IMO... Maybe you have to have a certain personality to be able to play the campaigns over and over again. They really are different each time, especially on versus mode. I can't wait for survival mode and the SDK so I can start playing different levels. Also in the next update Dead Air and Death Toll will become officially available for versus mode which will be fun.

Bought it when it was on sale last weekend for $25. Now I'm spending about $700 updating my system for it:D

The game is awesome the first week, then you realize you're playing the same levels over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

The SDK will definitely make this game, player made levels will be awesome.

The game is awesome the first week, then you realize you're playing the same levels over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

The SDK will definitely make this game, player made levels will be awesome.

How does this differ from any other online FPS game?? You are always playing the same levels but the game play still changes each time. It is a bit more structured though.

I definitely think the game is worth playing/trying, but it does get pretty repetitive. Hopefully they expand on the game in the future.

BTW, I joined a lobby to play dead air, and there was other guys. One guy said" this is my 1st time playing!" It was my 2nd time, so I told him it was only my 2nd time playing. I watched him get kicked, and then I got kicked :/ It's not like it was on a hard difficulty, it was on freakin EASY difficulty and those "elitists" kicked us for being new! No big deal tho, I though that was pretty funny. I played it all weekend, and LOVE it. It's alot of fun. I would definitely reccomend it. I can't wait to play custom maps. Awesome game. I also made the mistake of going in the barn, away from my team, to hold out over there. I got grabbed by a smoker, and my whole team was in the house, and I aaalmost died. Stay with your team. :)

the moment you see a window saying 'initiated a vote to kick 'your name'' just start blasting your teammates into oblivion.

There's a time and place when streaking off by yourself can be okay. In some cases a single person can be a decoy. If someone's hurt, often the zombies will seek out the guy in red. That takes the pressure off of the other 2 characters. In others you can sneak past defenses and book it to the safe house alone while other players are plodding along. In level 3 for No Mercy, I've managed to streak on my own with tons of health plenty of times. That final stretch is usually an easy run to make unless the zombies are hanging back.
In a few cases, 2-man teams can be effective. You have a back-up if someone gets nabbed by a hunter or smoker and if both managed to get caught - the other two man team can essentially make a break for it knowing that two player controlled zombies are stuck until the characters eventually die.
There are lots of strategies that can work when you're dealing with good players on both teams. Often times even getting 1-2 people to the safehouse is enough.

Yes it is that good.

But the hevey reliance on team work pretty much means you have to play with friends or take the risk of a craptastic team; and it's a high risk.

The 360 version isn't even playable compared with the PC.

Limited maps doesn't make that much of a difference because the main fun of the game is killing shit not advancing through the map; though more maps would be nice.

One thing that needs to be noted is that it is an 1 to 2 hours a day type of game. If you are looking for BF2 or Counter strike play time you need look for a different game.

PLAY WITH FRIENDS>

is L4D on xbox 4 player when not on live? or is it like COD series where its 1 person per box?

got it for 25 bucks of of steam, really glad I didnt pay full price. I just dont get this game, bored the hell out of me.

is L4D on xbox 4 player when not on live? or is it like COD series where its 1 person per box?

Technically, you can play 2 people per copy as the game has splitscreen functionality. It also has the ability to run on a LAN, so you don't truly need Live at all if you want to play locally. I played a 4 player game with people on two TV's playing splitscreen via a LAN a couple of months ago.

There is so much rage quitting in VS. We need the SDK now.
We've found rage quitting to be drastically lower if you let the other team live through the first level. At that point they've committed some time, so they won't be as likely to rage.

We've found rage quitting to be drastically lower if you let the other team live through the first level. At that point they've committed some time, so they won't be as likely to rage.

Do you play humans or zombies?
I played about 10 minutes of versus. I'll try again when I don't play like a blind retarded person. ;)

Do you play humans or zombies?
I played about 10 minutes of versus. I'll try again when I don't play like a blind retarded person. ;)

you play both Human first Zumbee second.

if you suck even a little you will get voted out.

haha, yea I'm suprised I didn't get voted out. It kinda sucks because you can't get good if you can't play at all!

i like it but it could be better. it needed some better "missions" other then just run threw the maps and get to the safe room. Like maybe go save other NPC humans or some type of other choices in paths that you take. Running threw the same maps over and over again gets boring. Just needed more of a story IMHO

but playing as a tank is Greeeaaattt lol

Back