TF2 runs absolutely fantastic at full or high everything and 2xAA

e2180 oc'd at 2.8ghz
2 gigs 800mhz
sata drive
eVga 8800gs 348mb oc'd
windows 2k3 32bit.

what gives?

as soon as I start playing, online, offline, campaign whatever

lags like a beoutch, slow response to key inputs and mouse look, everything seems really delayed.

I updated the Nvidia driver at Steam's request which was a bit of a pain (had to convince it that 2k3 was xp) but like I said, i can watch hd movies fine, plays TF2 and Company of Heroes fine.

Kneejerk reactions:

First: Pentium....ew...

Second: Windows 2k3? Why? I assume you mean Server 2k3...Not a gaming operating system...Yes, I know it works. And Yes, I also know it is not optimal.

Question: What resolution are you running, or trying to run?

What settings are you using, exactly?

What happens if you turn off AA (assuming it's on)?

Kneejerk reactions:
First: Pentium....ew...
Second: Windows 2k3? Why? I assume you mean Server 2k3...Not a gaming operating system...Yes, I know it works. And Yes, I also know it is not optimal.
Question: What resolution are you running, or trying to run?

First: $45 for a CPU is the best I can do now. Especially only playing Steam games.

Second: Gotta go with what I've got - and Server 2k3 runs screamingly better than xp for everything I've used it for, including TF2.

Answer: 1600 x 1050 (native) and 1280 x 1024 - no dice on either working well.

:D

What is running in the backround when you are playing?

Not much, no firewall or antivirus, closed up utorrent, turned off digsby, running pretty clean with about 3500M of Virtual memory available.

I know you guys can help! I have faith!

What settings are you using, exactly?

What happens if you turn off AA (assuming it's on)?

AA off, everything on medium, no Vertical sync, 1280 x 1024, I mean EVERYTHING basic.

one thing I should note - checking my steamapps folder it's dling to "common" instead of like all my other steam games which are natively under "sleepkyng" - could that be causing it?

Do you have that multicore rendering thing disabled in options -> video (i think that is the correct path)?

ok i think this definitley an nvidia driver issue.

cuz now my browsers (both ff and chrome) are going whack with rendering images and text...

damnit...

think i figured it out - digsby runs a wrapper.exe in the background even after I closed it (lil bastid) that messes with L4D.

now I'm running things on high or very high with 2xAA and it's working fine at 1600 x 1050.

THANKS EVERYONE! I really appreciate it.

Gonna use driver sweeper just in case.

Hmm, I never quite Digsby. Or anything else for that matter when I game. But Vista 64 and Server2k3 are pretty different..

I have pretty much the same rig, except with a 9600gso. One thing that you might run into is you will get freezes from time to time in the game. If that starts to happen, instead of running in fullscreen mode in the video options, change it to windowed - no borders. I'm just saying this if it happens to you, because some people with nvidia cards are having problems and this seems to be a fix for most people.

cirrico -
yeah i dunno. I did reclean the nvidia drivers and all my browser problems went away as well - however it works i guess.

darklcd - thanks for the hint, i'll keep my eyes peeled for this.

Back