• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

L4D or L4D2

elm669

2[H]4U
Joined
Jul 8, 2003
Messages
2,467
Since I'm working again I've been wanting to pick up Left 4 Dead. I went up to my grandparents house the other weekend and my cousin was playing Left 4 Dead 2 on his xbox 360. I looked pretty awesome but I was wondering if I should buy the first one or just go ahead and get the 2nd one. What all differences between the two?
 
get them both, they go on sale a lot, i would say wait if money is the thing holding you back.
 
Sometimes you just can't decide so I got both, need to get my new hdd installed so I can play. :p
 
I'd say L4D2, since it seems to be more polished. Melee weapons are a blast. L4D1 isn't anything to sneeze at though, loved that game. Personally, I'd get em both for $49.
 
get them as a bundle or individually

i bet you could get both for $20-$30 put together if you look hard enough

they do go on sale frequently

but let me tell you that you're not missing out on ANYTHING by waiting

NOTHING at all.

The game is fun and all but there WILL be a point where you will be bored of it
 
the first one is probably available cheaper, and IMO the characters are better and more fleshed out. Sadly it was abandoned and the second one came out with more gameplay enhancements and a more integrated story. Now they could add the original trailers to the first one to give it an integrated story but that hasn't happened. A DLC will be coming out shortly to tie the two together. My idea of greatness would be if they also add the gameplay mechanics of #2 to #1, but that probably will never happen.
 
Both are great but since more play 2.. I'd recommend 2. Also this game should be played with friends always :)
 
Get them both.
IMO -- The first game was more tense in campaigns, the second had better versus.
 
If only choosing one, get L4D2 but if you can, get both. They are both brilliant games and the new DLC will connect them both as well. Ive had amazing experiences with this co-op shooter and it has the sort of polish that only Valve can deliver.

Yes it can get repetitive but only if you over play it and get burned out - much like anything. But the AI director and choice of game modes keeps it very varied to be sure.
 
The campaigns in 2 are way too long. I wish they would've kept them the length of "Crash Course" from the first L4D. Therefore, I vote L4D.
 
L4D get it onsale for 10$ or less get L4D2 onsale for 25$ or less.

They are different games an both have merits. It's like asking if you should buy FarCry 1 or 2. Personally I wont be buying L4D2 until it's maybe 10-15$. The multiplayer is essentially matchmaker style so only good if you find good people.(Not like me I like to throw the propane tanks at my teammates during boss fights :D)

So like Yahtzee says these games must be judged on single player value. L4D is worth about 5$-10$ at this point and L4D2 about 15$.
 
The campaigns in 2 are way too long. I wish they would've kept them the length of "Crash Course" from the first L4D. Therefore, I vote L4D.

Too long, I thought the opposite.

CC was far too short. That was only 2/5 of a campaign and over before I even got going

OP- I'd get 1 and 2 both are superb. Play them in sequence and you'll appeciate why when 'The Passing' and the new L4D 1 content come out.
 
Get the first one. Its a better game imo. The second one seems to be filled with too much slapstick humor. Get the first one, if you like it get the second one. also there coming out with new content for both games.
 
l4d 1 has better characters and better maps, l4d2 has more unique gameplay.
 
but let me tell you that you're not missing out on ANYTHING by waiting
I disagree.

I actually fired up L4D2 this week-end for the first time in months and have a terrible time finding games. No one is really playing anymore.
 
I disagree.

I actually fired up L4D2 this week-end for the first time in months and have a terrible time finding games. No one is really playing anymore.

it doesnt' have the staying power of the first game in spite of all the additions to the game

i think the level design wasn't anywhere near as good as the first games. I'm pretty sure that's a huge reason why
 
it doesnt' have the staying power of the first game in spite of all the additions to the game

i think the level design wasn't anywhere near as good as the first games. I'm pretty sure that's a huge reason why
Agreed. I absolutely hate two of the levels in the second one where I generally liked all of the levels in the first.
 
Too long, I thought the opposite.

CC was far too short. That was only 2/5 of a campaign and over before I even got going

OP- I'd get 1 and 2 both are superb. Play them in sequence and you'll appeciate why when 'The Passing' and the new L4D 1 content come out.

Yea I just hate being locked into a game for an hour and a half. That's why I like Crash Course so much because the games only take 20-30 minutes. That way if you only have a short amount of time to spend playing or if you get stuck on a crappy team you aren't wasting an hour getting owned lol.
 
it doesnt' have the staying power of the first game in spite of all the additions to the game

i think the level design wasn't anywhere near as good as the first games. I'm pretty sure that's a huge reason why

Agreed. I absolutely hate two of the levels in the second one where I generally liked all of the levels in the first.

Is the level design really that bad compared to the first/in general?

Was just thinking of picking up copies for me and the wife (she's into shooters etc.) just out of sheer boredom right now. Comments such as these are making me think twice.
 
both are a great purchase. the second game actually has more content and better gameplay. I'd suggest both.
 
Is the level design really that bad compared to the first/in general?

Was just thinking of picking up copies for me and the wife (she's into shooters etc.) just out of sheer boredom right now. Comments such as these are making me think twice.
I think it is more of the same, but I just did not like campaign mode in the second as much as the first.

Scavenge mode is by far my favorite, but, the last few times I tried to play, no one was on...


:(
 
I think it is more of the same, but I just did not like campaign mode in the second as much as the first.

Scavenge mode is by far my favorite, but, the last few times I tried to play, no one was on...


:(

No one was on what-so-ever? Seems like quite a few people stating that no one is really playing. Guess I'm surprised, given the "hype" of how many were so into it upon release.

Just out of curiosity, what is it about the campaign modes that you/others do no really seem to like? Level design really that poor? Boring gameplay? Too much of the "same old"? Almost the impression I'm getting recently.
 
it's definitely fun with friends, I'll say that much.

The problem is that the level design in the second game isn't much of an improvement over the first.

The first game optioned for what I'll describe as medium sized levels, 5 per campaign, the second game optioned for like really large levels and the campaign length overall seems about the same for both games.

The thing is, the first game's level designs were very well thought out, whereas the second game's level designs opted for different kinds of environments than the first game (good idea? in theory probably, just bad implementation), the first game had a dark look to it, and L4D2 has these bright levels, they don't really fit the theme that the first game emphasized.

It was like a dose of Resident Evil-type of atmosphere from the first game to almost what they are doing with Diablo 3, making it less dark and moody and turning it into a bright Disney World themed thing.

Some people like it, I'm certainly not going to tell those people they are wrong, but I think there's a solid majority that probably feel the same way I do. Bright environments while different, do not fit the overall theme of this game and make it feel different from the first one.

They could have done more of the same, with improvements and the same high quality level design and I doubt anybody would complain. It's a shame because some of the additions to the game are really well done, but when you base a game around level design and atmosphere because the actual gameplay itself is repetitive, you better have DAMN good level design and atmosphere.

That's my take on it.
 
I do not like the Carnival or the Swamp level. Just drab, uneventful, low replay value.
 
I disagree.

I actually fired up L4D2 this week-end for the first time in months and have a terrible time finding games. No one is really playing anymore.

Just type the connect (ip here) into console

connect 69.31.134.124:27015 (--=No Stress Alliance=--)
connect 69.31.134.117:27015 (-=No Stress Alliance=--)

Almost always full since it came out. 15 user created maps and mods and stuff
 
Is the level design really that bad compared to the first/in general?

Was just thinking of picking up copies for me and the wife (she's into shooters etc.) just out of sheer boredom right now. Comments such as these are making me think twice.

I think those guys are on crack. The Mall campaign is awesome, as is Heavy Rain.
Heavy Rain has to be my favorite campaign from both games. In defense of the 2nd game, the level design was more focused on wide open areas, its not "bad", it just feels different from the first game. Oh and yes of course, DAYTIME fighting.

I recommend both games.

EDIT: BTW, there is currently 10,014 people playing Left 4 Dead 2.
3,198 are playing Left 4 Dead.
For reference 12,679 are playing Battlefield BC2 and 17,333 Team Fortress 2.
That should speak for itself.
 
Last edited:
L4D maps can be played on l4d2 now anyway, check the mods L4d on L4d2. L4D2 is what the first should have been.
 
Back
Top