• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

L12 mod on mobile barton -- necessary?

MATTRESS

Gawd
Joined
Sep 26, 2003
Messages
992
I've done "pin tricks" in the past on a m-ATX board to overclock a 2500+ cpu to 3200+ speeds because the board didn't have FSB controls.

I have a mobile barton 2500+ in my current setup with a Biostar M7NCD Pro motherboard, and 2x corsair XMS PRO 2-2-2 ram.

Right now, i'm running 200x11.5 (2300mhz) I've heard doing the L12 mod will help overclocking stability if I try to push it harder.. how true is this?

thanks for the info!
 
I would really like to push this cpu harder.. i know mobile bartons have the capability of performing better ... like up to 2.4/2.5..

what's the best way to try and get more out of this cpu? i'm running 200x11.5 ... should I try bumping up the fsb some more, or the multi..

i got the vcore at around 1,76v.. should I try bumping that up before hand?
 
MATTRESS said:
I've done "pin tricks" in the past on a m-ATX board to overclock a 2500+ cpu to 3200+ speeds because the board didn't have FSB controls.

I have a mobile barton 2500+ in my current setup with a Biostar M7NCD Pro motherboard, and 2x corsair XMS PRO 2-2-2 ram.

Right now, i'm running 200x11.5 (2300mhz) I've heard doing the L12 mod will help overclocking stability if I try to push it harder.. how true is this?

thanks for the info!
first off, hello from Summerville, South Carolia :p we arent far from each other ;)

and really 2.3mhz is prolly all your gonna get outta that chip aside from better cooling, highest ive seen with a mobile which i dunno if you have is 2.7 outta a 2500 mobile, that was on water@ 28c, 32 load

forgot where i saw it, to me.......if your trying to get farther, eaither save up for abetter chip, or start saving for a new rig........your pretty much at your limits realy

soulsaver
 
MATTRESS said:
I would really like to push this cpu harder.. i know mobile bartons have the capability of performing better ... like up to 2.4/2.5..

what's the best way to try and get more out of this cpu? i'm running 200x11.5 ... should I try bumping up the fsb some more, or the multi..

i got the vcore at around 1,76v.. should I try bumping that up before hand?
try all of that........make sure you have good cooling tho cooling is key

and yes mobiles can get 2.5 on air.......i think 1.76v is fine tho, i wouldnt go much farther unless you try that and prime works with a 2.4 overclock

your mobo could be your limiting factor if your cpu wont go up much more tho /shrug/ keep trucking on the overclock and see what happens ;)

upping vcore is last thing tho.......overclock everything, then see its stablitiy, then if it isnt so stable, hit the vcore up a notch, try it then, i wouldnt go past 1.80v

soulsaver
 
soulsaver_8229 said:
first off, hello from Summerville, South Carolia :p we arent far from each other ;)

haha what a small world! here I was thinking I was the only computer literate person in the state ... within the last week i've met 3 people off genmay.com that live in south carolina, and you're the 2nd person from [H].. we're all gonna have to have a meet one day! :D
 
spugnor lives in Mt plesent, he wants to make a meet, my brother is a member (Mach5)

PM spugnor tell him to get a meet up, we can grill at his place ;)

soulsaver
 
That 2500 Barton is a 333fsb chip if I remember correctly. You could possibly attain higher
stable FSB speeds by fooling it into thinking it's a 400fsb chip with a wire trick.
Only one way to find out. :D
 
my 2600 mobile did 2.6 ghz on quiet air cooling at 1.75v, same stepping chip got 2.8 ghz on my friends tower 112(tornado)

im surprised people still run athlon-xp's
 
most people have switched to a64s or p4s by now, athlon-xps are good cpus but they just dont really cut it anymore performance wise in most peoples opinion
 
I got a XP2400+ Mobile, for the life of me, it wont go anything about 11x200, running at 1.625v, just goes into a reboot loop. Any suggestions to get up in the 2.4 - 2.6ghz range as mentioned above?
 
My XP-Mobile in my sig really started to overclock better when I replaced my Antec True430 with a $20 Enlight 350W PSU.....I kid you not. There's a long story, but to sum it up, my True430 was weak and it was limiting my OC, when it finally died, I was amazed at how far I can overclock now and it was with my "spare" PSU.

On air, I was easily getting 2.6Ghz at 1.7v., on water with drasticly cooler temps, 2.65Ghz so I am thinking I hit the limit of this chip.
 
Met-AL said:
My XP-Mobile in my sig really started to overclock better when I replaced my Antec True430 with a $20 Enlight 350W PSU.....I kid you not. There's a long story, but to sum it up, my True430 was weak and it was limiting my OC, when it finally died, I was amazed at how far I can overclock now and it was with my "spare" PSU.

On air, I was easily getting 2.6Ghz at 1.7v., on water with drasticly cooler temps, 2.65Ghz so I am thinking I hit the limit of this chip.
or you had a bad psu to begin with, since it died on you........duds happen all the time, Antec's truepower series is a very rock solid psu for its price, its the best around

soulsaver
 
MATTRESS said:
I've done "pin tricks" in the past on a m-ATX board to overclock a 2500+ cpu to 3200+ speeds because the board didn't have FSB controls.

I have a mobile barton 2500+ in my current setup with a Biostar M7NCD Pro motherboard, and 2x corsair XMS PRO 2-2-2 ram.

Right now, i'm running 200x11.5 (2300mhz) I've heard doing the L12 mod will help overclocking stability if I try to push it harder.. how true is this?

thanks for the info!

id say no as i have no problem with what im running in my sig
 
soulsaver_8229 said:
or you had a bad psu to begin with, since it died on you........duds happen all the time, Antec's truepower series is a very rock solid psu for its price, its the best around

soulsaver

Could be, but when I got my CPU, I got 2.5ghz clocks with the voltage cranked up and slowly over time I had to keep lowering my overclock till one day I was lower than stock and it still wouldnt run stable. I was checking everything..changing timings on the RAM, voltages, drivers, etc. At the same time I noticed I was getting a hell of alot of noise thru my Soundstorm APU and on a hunch I grabbed my multi-meter and tested the voltages off a molex drive connector. The 5volt line was running real low. Yanked it out, thru in my old spare PSU and I was back in overclocking bliss and pegged it out at 2.65Ghz after I watercooled it.
 
I think my psu is limiting my oc to 2.5ghz @ 1.775V on my IQYHA, 35W, 2400+ mobile, It seems like it should go higher than that as it is maxing out at 46C....
The psu drops the 12v+ down to 11.71V in mbm and 11.68V with the multimeter running prime95 and also makes a squeeling noise coming from the psu.
It's a Thermaltake purepower 430W that states 28A @12V 40A @ 5V 30A @ 3.3V with an exhaust temp of 45C.

According to the psu calculator I should be fine but I guess the temps bring it's efficency down enough to cause a problem.
http://takaman.jp/D/?M=PbbG5IIcG5HDd@dSBSpiG5DJHJUJk@cXaYCYaZAZbv85HEwG5DEMZ&english


What's the best psu for $50 max these days?
 
qb4ever said:
I<snip>

What's the best psu for $50 max these days?

What motherboard will the $50 PSU be for? Knowing that would help us recommend the
best unit for your situation because some boards use the +12v rail to power the CPU, others the +5v rail.

$50 is going to limit you somewhat. Safe to say a quality 350w PSU would serve you better than a cheesy 500w unit.
This 350w Sparkle unit is VERY popular, and well known to be underrated. Some reviews have it putting out over 450w sustained.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817103486
 
Susquehannock said:
What motherboard will the $50 PSU be for? Knowing that would help us recommend the
best unit for your situation because some boards use the +12v rail to power the CPU, others the +5v rail.

Very good point Susquehannock.

I can tell you that the Antec True430 can not hold up running the ASUS A7N8X-DLX 2.0 board. That board puts one heck of a strain on the +5 volt. The A7N8X-DLX does NOT have the 12volt aux connector, so that may be a tell tale sign pointing at the need for a strong +5volt.
 
Pretty sure that Shuttle powers the CPU from the +12v rail.

In all honesty that Sparkle PSU above would serve you well IMO. Same as the popular 350w
Fortron unit. Some people use them to power A64 systems believe it or not.
 
I got the wife the 2400+ mobile and can get around 2.2ghz before it becomes way too hot (60c) for my liking. It seems to want at least 1.60v. Even so, I definately need to get her a better hsf since this thing runs around 46c idle which is too hot for my liking.
 
Back
Top