Kudos to ASUS phone support (yeah, really)

x509

2[H]4U
So I'm helping a friend build up a system using an ASUS PRIME-series mATX board. He needed a system that supports PS/2 style KB and mouse connectors.

We built up the system, powered up, the power light on the board went green, the fans were spinning... and nothing. :eek: We got one of those 4-pin system speakers that plugs into the twin header on the right bottom of the board (with the CPU socket in the top left). No beeps. :oops:

So at 5.20 pm on a Friday afternoon we called ASUS support. Got a really helpful guy named Seth. He took about 30 minutes walking us through trouble-shooting steps until we got to the point where he said to RMA the motherboard. (y)

I've owned a lot of ASUS boards and had to send in two boards. For one board, it took two tries to get the board fixed, so I was not anticipating a great support call. And of course, I've read all the negative stuff about ASUS support. But fair is fair, so I had to post this new thread.

x509

So he basically just filled out this form for you:

https://cms-am.asus.com/ecp/Rma.html

Yeah, great job. Asus surely deserves praise for that. /s Just wait, you haven't played the entire Asus roulette game yet. Just an FYI, they don't "fix" the boards, they swap them with boards other customers sent in and they don't even test them first. They just flash a new cmos on and give it a new serial number and throw it in "good stock" then send it to you. If it doesn't work, rinse and repeat. Much cheaper then actually repairing or testing boards.

Last edited:
So he basically just filled out this form for you:

https://cms-am.asus.com/ecp/Rma.html

Yeah, great job. Asus surely deserves praise for that. /s Just wait, you haven't played the entire Asus roulette game yet. Just an FYI, they don't "fix" the boards, they swap them with boards other customers sent in and they don't even test them first. They just flash a new cmos on and give it a new serial number and throw it in "good stock" then send it to you. If it doesn't work, rinse and repeat. Much cheaper then actually repairing or testing boards.
Don't entirely agree. I had a board repaired and returned to me. However, I also don't doubt that ASUS does play the roulette game.

I'm not a fanboy personality, but ASUS has been good for me overall for almost 30 years now.

I've also had good luck with Asus. Feels like roulette with tech companies though, doesn't it? Everyone has a horror story about pretty much every OEM. It's just whether or not you had a bad experience. In the end, it almost seems to matter more where you buy from and whether they have a good return policy.

I've owned a ton of Aus boards in the early 2000's but after hearing the HORROR stories about their RMA center, I just can't do it. It's been Gigabyte or MSI for me.

Just had a phone call yesterday with Asus, they are ensuring they don't intentionally damage my GPU and will make sure I get a working one along with a special case number for it. Very nice lady over the phone.

Asus have long been known for excellent hardware, but absolutely abysmal support. This forum alone is littered with horror stories....

It's certainly good to see some positive experiences, maybe they'll keep it up.

As you can see though, they would have a LOT of hard work ahead of them to undo their bad reputation. Even a minority of bad experiences is going to be deafening when compared to a majority of positive ones. People are a lot more likely to be vocal about negative experiences than to report positive ones.

Asus have long been known for excellent hardware, but absolutely abysmal support. This forum alone is littered with horror stories....

It's certainly good to see some positive experiences, maybe they'll keep it up.

As you can see though, they would have a LOT of hard work ahead of them to undo their bad reputation. Even a minority of bad experiences is going to be deafening when compared to a majority of positive ones. People are a lot more likely to be vocal about negative experiences than to report positive ones.

You don't understand. This is simply not just unhappy customers because Asus could have done better. No, it's much more than that. It's illegal what Asus does and any self respecting person that is not a corporate drone should not stand for it. But sadly consumers on the internet would rather throw spears at each other and let businesses bend them over.

Imagine having your motherboard that worked for 8 months just suddenly die. You send it into Asus expecting it to be replaced under warranty. Instead they say it has damaged because a small plastic button on the back is slightly askew, even though you sent it to them in perfect condition and you have pictures to prove it. Now they want you to pay 158.98 to repair said button, and then they can move forward with the warranty replacement. Is it a coincidence that to "repair" this button is the price of a refurbished motherboard? Or maybe there was actually something wrong with the board so they can't just ship it to another customer.

Then when you say no, they send you back the motherboard in worst condition then when you sent it to them. That is a warranty scam and in no way should be an acceptable business practice.

People say all companies do this. No, total BS. Intel, had minor problems but as soon as my RMA was approved everything worked out great. EVGA, sent RMA replacement in 3 days when a video card died and back when they made motherboards sent me a free mother board and didn't even ask to send the old one back. The list goes on and on.

When you experience this from a company, it makes you appreciate the Best buys and Apples of the world. They might cost more, but not having to go through the soul crushing experience of dealing with Asus and their illegal practices, it well worth the cost. Yeah, you might buy Asus, and not have a problem, but if you do, you're screwed.

Like most Asus employees, you're not being honest. Considering Asus hasn't even been a company for 30 years.
Maybe my memory isn't perfect, but I've been building my own PCs for almsot 30 years now, and very early on, I started to use ASUS boards. And no, I'm NOT an ASUS employee. I resemble that remark. (OK, who am I quoting here?)

Back