• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Krater: indie party based arpg

BababooeyHTJ

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jan 21, 2009
Messages
6,951
I just picked up Krater off of Steam. Its sort of an arpg that plays like an rts. The battles are all in real time with no pausing and controls just like an rts. I've only put a couple of hours in so far but it seems like the game has potential. Has anyone else tried the game out?
 
Its yet to dip under 60fps at 2560x1440 for me. I can't complain about how it runs.
 
yea apparently dx10/11 only, are the graphics even making use of these features? not even sure how an arpg+rts would work, like a bunch of hero units that gain levels?
 
yea apparently dx10/11 only, are the graphics even making use of these features? not even sure how an arpg+rts would work, like a bunch of hero units that gain levels?

Pretty much, you control 3 that gain booster/implant slots as they rank up, you collect/craft gear etc. Hero stats are modified by gear and boosters/implants. The graphics look really good, although with my 5770 and C2D 3.4ghz I have to run the settings on "low" for 1920x1080 to run smoothly. Medium is doable but I'd rather have the game feel smooth than look a small amount better. That being said, even on low the game looks good; One of those cases where art > graphics, imo.
 
Bought Krater right before launch and I have to say that I'm pretty damn impressed, especially with it only being $15

Fatshark seems committed enough to keep this going for a while w/ free DLC and regular patches via Steam

IMO this is everything that D3 should have been and my interest in T2 is waning
 
Nice game. But I can't get the Steam version to work(would crash after the second splash screen), so I had to go to the darkside of the web. Hopefully it gets worked out so I don't feel like a need a parrot standing on my shoulder.

As for taking advantage of DX11, according to the config files it has tessellation, most likely for the terrain. It also uses FXAA.
 
yea apparently dx10/11 only, are the graphics even making use of these features?

Didn't fatshark make that "stone giant" tessalation benchmark thing? Am going to assume it might use tessalation (though it's hard to tell from screenshots, perhaps not).
 
a squad based roleplaying game set in a colorful post-apocalyptic world? :confused:


I'm speaking in terms of game-play, MSRP, developmental approach and re-playability

Krater offers way more for your $$$ than D3's $60 price tag
 
Nice game. But I can't get the Steam version to work(would crash after the second splash screen), so I had to go to the darkside of the web. Hopefully it gets worked out so I don't feel like a need a parrot standing on my shoulder.

As for taking advantage of DX11, according to the config files it has tessellation, most likely for the terrain. It also uses FXAA.

I wonder if there is any way to disable the FXAA.
 
Just watched some gameplay videos of it and it looks fun, but it's a shame multiplayer isn't in yet. I think I might wait for that before I decide to purchase it.
 
I wonder if there is any way to disable the FXAA.

Edit the config file with something like Notepad++. Can also play with tessellation details, might be able to get an even better image quality (lower triangle size means more detail, but going to low will result in sub-pixel sized triangles and choke hardware).

User/Appdata/Roaming/Fatshark/Krater/user_settings.config

 
Last edited:
Thanks for the tip on notepad + +. That is a useful app, It really makes navigating those types of cfg files much, much easier.

Disabling FXAA did work but forcing AA via the Nvidia control panel didn't so I'm back to using it anyways. I guess that I need to wait until someone finds an aa flag.
 
Didn't fatshark make that "stone giant" tessalation benchmark thing? Am going to assume it might use tessalation (though it's hard to tell from screenshots, perhaps not).

fatshark + bitsquid, pretty sure they also did that western tf2 type game I forget what it's called, did not do well at all. seems the netcode was terrible and mp sucked, maybe they'll do better with an sp game.
 
Game's artwork/setting is basically Borderlands.

Game also reminds me a LOT of Fallout 1/2, with the weapons, world map, random encounters.

Gameplay is good, but not a lot of variety in quests.

I think the biggest pitfall is the replayability.
 
I tried it but need to download the latest patch. What I played was nice, albeit nothing groundbreaking. I think I'll probably enjoy Torchlight 2 more, though.
 
fatshark + bitsquid, pretty sure they also did that western tf2 type game I forget what it's called, did not do well at all. seems the netcode was terrible and mp sucked, maybe they'll do better with an sp game.

Lead and Gold! I think it also suffered because there wasn't that much of a playerbase, and it was multiplayer only. Would have been better with some scenarios and a single player campain, probably (like this one :D).
 
I tried it but need to download the latest patch. What I played was nice, albeit nothing groundbreaking. I think I'll probably enjoy Torchlight 2 more, though.

Wouldn't hurt to pay for it, do you really need to pirate a fucking $15 game?
 
I'm in for $15 after trying it out. The piracy message in the opening screen was worth the $15 by itself, good for a laugh. Go Indie, Go Kickstarter, Go Modders!
 
This game looks interesting. I may buy it soon. Are you guys still enjoying it?
 
I stopped because of Civ V but I played it for a few hours and really enjoyed what I did play. They've also released a few patches with some input from the community since which is another reason that I held off for a bit.

Its well worth the $15. I plan on playing it some more soon.
 
I keep hearing about this game but somehow it missed my grasp that its an ARPG.
 
Had the strangest thing happen today when I started the game. It updated itself and erased my saved game that I had about 20 hours invested in :( Between the controls not working right and now this...I'm done. A shame cause I really started liking it. Glad I only wasted $15
 
Had the strangest thing happen today when I started the game. It updated itself and erased my saved game that I had about 20 hours invested in :( Between the controls not working right and now this...I'm done. A shame cause I really started liking it. Glad I only wasted $15


damn man that sucks, did you have Steam cloud enabled? if so, you should be OK.

you may just have to go back in and resync under game properties within Steam
 
damn man that sucks, did you have Steam cloud enabled? if so, you should be OK.

you may just have to go back in and resync under game properties within Steam

No I didn't have cloud enabled :( No biggie not the first $15 I threw away and certainly not the last.
 
I played for a couple of hours but the shallow hero system really killed it for me... Only 2 skills per hero makes the combat really stale.The whole swapping them out willy nilly for no good reason except that their level is capped just baffles me. I'm not sure what the motivation was to make that sort of system. They did say there would be a trainer so you can keep your heroes... but I didn't find said trainer in the game. Not sure if they ever added it.
 
I played for a couple of hours but the shallow hero system really killed it for me... Only 2 skills per hero makes the combat really stale.The whole swapping them out willy nilly for no good reason except that their level is capped just baffles me. I'm not sure what the motivation was to make that sort of system. They did say there would be a trainer so you can keep your heroes... but I didn't find said trainer in the game. Not sure if they ever added it.

trainers are "boot camps" in various towns that upgrade regular party members to blue/green status, I know there's definitely one in Elmerhut
 
Back
Top