Koolance Exos - Good/Bad?

HCLPfan

Gawd
Long story short the fan on my Radeon x800 XT Platinum Edition is finally dieing and its causing my tr crash ingame with GPU temps of just being at my desktop that exceed 60C so I'm looking to either a) buy a new fan for it or b) finally go WC. I don't know much about WC so I'm just generally looking for your suggestions.

I was thinking about going with
Koolance Exos http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835127007
Koolance GPU Block http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835127002
Koolance CPU Block http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811155986

Like i said i don't really know anything about water cooling, I assume I'd not really need and chipset/HDD blocks or anything and that should suffice. However, what would you guys recommend?

Not BAD...

But expensive for what it does.

Petras kits run about 300$ for a much more capable setup.

yep, if you just flat dont want to mess with it and your wallet can stand it. Its so intergrated that its a real pain when something breaks or wears out tho.

I'm trying to find this Petras kit online somewhere and cant. Do you have a link/ how exactly is it more capable. All i really need is the cooling/temperature display. Plus it looks pretty sexy and matched my Lian-Li case :)

Hmm... the Petras looks pretty good, my only concern is my complete lack of knowledge on what im doing and that Koolance would be a lot simpler to set up as well as just simply sit on top of my case and not have to be hidden inside or something. You think it'll be ewasy with the instructions?

I built my first water cooled system recently with no prior experience. I had help from the good folks here. It wasn't difficult, took some deep breaths to take the jigsaw to my $200 case the first time though! I think if you are even slightly mechanical you'll do just fine. Ask all the questions you need.

I used an EXOS-I setup, it cooled about as well as the highest end air coolers. They are pretty expensive, you can do much better with a custom kit.

EXOS' are so damn expensive for what they do.

I'd rather buy all the nessecary materials and build my own external watercooling box.

Sorry, but I must ask. Would it not be cheaper to just buy a newer passively cooled card? Heck, maybe even get better GPU performance to boot.

I too am thinking of going water cooled and I have a few questions I'd like to throw in here too if I can.
I am thinking of buying this same system either the external version or internal (Exos). I see where somebody said you would get the results of high end air cooling. My setup is a Abit NF7-s v2.0 motherboard with an AMD Athlon XP 2500+ (non-mobile). I'm currently at 42c idle temps and 50c load temps running Prime. My heatsink is an ALX-800a with a standard fan on it vented through a P4 elbow to a 120mm case fan pulling through the heatsink and fan to the outside of the case.

Would this kit give me a lower load temp than what I have now? I kinda like the idea too of having a add-on kit without going through all the hassle of cutting my case. I have an Antec Sonata case (older one) and space is very limited in these cases. Also airflow in my opinion suffers with these cases too.

Couldn't you run one of the Koolance kits and use a Peltier to chill the water after the radiator? Wouldn't doing so lower the temps even more and with pre-cooled water couldn't you use a smaller Peltier that wouldn't require a huge amount of power to run?

I was thinking about a Peltier I could run with an external power supply that puts out around 14-15 volts with a 5 amp constant and 7 surge? Would I need bigger than this? I could run the standard water cooler and then flip on the Peltier if I needed more cooling during gameplay or something like that? Would this idea work?

I don't mean to hi-jack a thread I just thought this was a good place to add my thoughts and questions.

Thanks

If you're thinking of going with a cheap all-in-one kit, grab the coolermaster kit.. which is going for $20 AR (with $15 paypal promo), shipped. It will perform "similarly" to what the exos system will, and is massively cheaper ($20 for a whole system.. how can you complain). However, if you're looking for a serious water cooling setup, build your own loop, and don't use a kit.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16835103006
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1155228&highlight=paypal

An EXOS is great if you are new to watercooling and scared that you might screw something up. It provides pretty good temps, and is easy to install.

But if you know what you are doing you can get a better setup for less money, but you really do have to know what your doing or you could damage your hardware if you install a leaky loop.

Thanks! I did think of condensation with the Peltier, that is why I said to add it after the radiator. I didn't mean to put it on the CPU itself. What about mounting it outside the case then? I could care less if it drips in the floor a bit...tuperware will fix that...plus the cat will have something to drink!

That is a pretty good deal for that Cooler Master thingie...but a lot of people complained about it didn't they? I've never seen or heard a Exos system so I don't know how loud or quiet they are. I just like the fact that I can buy the internal kit and cut and mount it on top of my case. I'm thinking of going with a P180 so the top would be clear for this install. I just don't know how well they actually cool. They look pretty large in my opinion to not help out, don't ya think? Wait a minute..brain fart...I'm thinking of the INX-720 kit Koolance puts out. That is what I'm thinking about, not the Exos. Is that kit any better or worse?

I don't have anything against a custom set-up other than the fact that I'm a total noob to this whole liquid cooling and overclocking thing. I want everything inside my case as well. Any advice would be greatly appreciate and any help would be awesome when it boils down to picking parts and stuff.

Again I don't mean to hi-jack your thread dude...if needed I'll start another. I just hated to waste forum space on the same topic.

Thanks!

Back