Known issues with Windows 7 RC?

EnderW

[H]F Junkie
I'm about to do a clean install and with all the great things I'm hearing about Windows 7, I'm thinking of going with it instead of Vista SP2.
Are there any known issues?

Main System Specs
Asus P6T V2
Intel i7 920
Intel X25-M
12GB OCZ DDR3
EVGA GTX 260
Corsair 620W

Daemon Tools still doesn't quite work on 64 bit. I had a few blue screens after putting the computer to sleep. That's program specific, though, and there's another program I can't remember the name of that people have been recommending instead.

Other than that, uh... I guess it does take a few minutes to adjust to the surprise that Microsoft put out an incredibly awesome OS?

Daemon Tools not working is a Daemon Tools issue, not a Windows 7 issue.

Anywho, the known issues are mentioned in the Release Notes for Windows 7.

SLI+multi-monitors doesn't work in the latest nvidia drivers, with older 'vista' (wddm 1.0) drivers it works but the drivers crash a lot. With Vista it works fine.

Virtual Clone Drive works just fine on the 64-bit version.

I was going to recommend that. I've been using that and it is awesome. Works just as good as Daemon Tools.

Windows 7 has some issues, but you might have to go out and look for them. What what'd I've found, it'd been all pretty minor and far and inbetween. I've been doing a lot of studying with a lot of the new features (to pass the cert exam and professional experience).

It's a really great operating system. Of course, if you do find any bugs, make sure to report them. :)

Daemon Tools Lite works for me. I just got the program incompatible message upon reboot, but I can mount images with no problem.

main things I need to work are
playback of highdef .mkv files
SABNZBD+
uTorrent
Windows Home Server
NOD32 antivirus
Office 2007
Dropbox
Steam games and COD4
some kind of iso mounting program, currently using old version of daemon tools
that's about it really

I'm still going to put Vista on a secondary drive so there isn't much reason not to

I have been running Windows 7 full time on my laptop and desktop since build 7000 with no issues if that helps at all.

Punkbuster support is dodgy right now in Windows7 RC1

Some have it working, others (like me) get kicked every minute or so when trying to play COD4 Multiplayer...

1. playback of highdef .mkv files
  2. SABNZBD+
  3. uTorrent
  4. Windows Home Server
  5. NOD32 antivirus
  6. Office 2007
  7. Dropbox
  8. Steam games and COD4
  9. some kind of iso mounting program, currently using old version of daemon tools
Using 7 RC now so hope the following will help:
1) I can playback .mkv files just fine using MPC-HC. Don't have any true HD .mkv files on hand though.
2) Dunno
3) Works just fine for me
4) WHS Connectors is also working just fine for me. It actually correctly IDs the system as Windows 7.
5) Haven't tried Nod32 in 7 RC yet. But Avira AntiVir is working fine in 7 RC for me
6) Also working fine
7) Haven't tried Dropbox
8) Every Steam game I've tried works just fine (L4D, TF2, FC2, H.A.W.X, Audiosurf). Don't have COD4 but I do know it uses punkbuster. So might want to hit up this thread on Punkbuster and 7 RC:
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1422045
9) Haven't had a need for an ISO mounting app so haven't tried any.

Dropbox works fine, as does 720p/1080p h264 video in MPC-HC. Tested using built in decoder, built in decoder via DXVA and CoreAVC via CUDA.

Daemon Tools Lite installed for me on 7127 but after I unmount an image I can't deactivate the virtual device, it pops up with some error. I had to do a bunch of enable/disable uninstall etc in device manager to get it off the last time.

Also, with Win 7 Beta 7000, the Device Center had the 'realistic' icon for my Epson printer but with 7100 and 7127, it does not have it anymore. Anyone else notice this?

lastest daemon tools works fine under windows 7.
Well some people are still having problems with it. I couldn't deactivate my virtual drives.

Switched to Virtual Clone Drive and I have to say it seems to be a superior product. I'm going to stick with this from now on until I find if there are any compatibility issues.

intersting, got it on a 2 windows 7 64bit systems and 1 32bit and havent had any issues yet with a fresh install of it, but all i do is mount and unmount images.

Punkbuster support is dodgy right now in Windows7 RC1

Some have it working, others (like me) get kicked every minute or so when trying to play COD4 Multiplayer...

Update punkbuster. They released an update about 2 weeks ago that fixed cod4.

Been playing ever since with no issue's, and Iv had good 4-5 hour sessions with my roommate who is also running windows 7 RC with no issues with cod4 and steam and PB.

All using the 64bit edition

Update punkbuster. They released an update about 2 weeks ago that fixed cod4.

Been playing ever since with no issue's, and Iv had good 4-5 hour sessions with my roommate who is also running windows 7 RC with no issues with cod4 and steam and PB.

All using the 64bit edition

Ah thats great news...thanks! :D

Now to reformat and see how I go.....:eek:

The Windows 7 RC is just awesome. The new features are subtle but important. Moving to Windows 7 basically supercharged my Dell 1420 laptop--it was sort of a sluggish pig with Vista. Pretty much everything works and runs faster. Rock solid stable. I am getting better battery life, less CPU usage and heat generation as well.

On my desktop monster, games run better than ever on 7 RC.

intersting, got it on a 2 windows 7 64bit systems and 1 32bit and havent had any issues yet with a fresh install of it, but all i do is mount and unmount images.
That has worked just fine for me. Try mounting images, then deactivating the drives with and without mounted images ... see what happens. You may get lucky :confused:

Another problem I'm having is my monitor is not always going off after the 10 minute setting.. I thought there was a setting that adjusted the sensitivity of mouse movement to determine if it wakes the monitor but I can't find it.

Sometimes the monitor will go off but others I come home from a day at work and the monitor is on.

I get graphical glitches in Steam games like Zombie Panic Source with my 8800 GTX. Happens intermittently, very hard, if not impossible, to figure out where it's coming from. At first, I thought my graphics card was overheating, but it doesn't seem to be in other graphically intensive games like Neverwinter Nights 2.

I guess I need to do a clean install. I upgraded from vista 32 to 7 RC 32 last night. Took 3 hours, and if I try to access any cd/dvd reguardless of the drive, windows explorer will become non-responsive. Same with steam, steam immediately becomes non-responsive as soon as I launch it. Running as administrator/vista compatibility does nothing.

Just to clarify, I had absolutely no problems with vista. Just wanted to try 7 out.

playback of highdef .mkv files
SABNZBD+
uTorrent
Windows Home Server
NOD32 antivirus
Office 2007
Dropbox
Steam games and COD4
some kind of iso mounting program, currently using old version of daemon tools
that's about it really

I'm still going to put Vista on a secondary drive so there isn't much reason not to

1) As already noted, MPC-HC (and match the version, x86 for Windows 7 x86, x64 for Windows 7 x64) and Windows 7's "universal" codec will play effectively anything out there including QuickTime files (but not Real Media, at least not yet) and nothing else is required save for associating all your video container filetypes (.avi, .mkv, .mov, etc) with MPC-HC (you have to run MPC-HC with Admin privileges to make the settings stick, but only that one time).

2) Personally I'd recommend Newsbin Pro for all your NZB downloading requirements but that's just me (been using it since nearly day 1 and I still strongly recommend it). You're the first I've heard that had or may be having issues with that app and Windows 7.

3) uTorrent works flawlessly with Windows 7 in my experience (nearly every "leaked" build to date, never an issue).

4) I'm assuming you mean running WHS inside a VM, as far as I know there shouldn't be a single issue but it would depend on the virtual machine software, perhaps.

5) NOD32 v2.7 through v4.0 has no issues I've ever noted, although I do use Avira nowadays as it's free and I finally let my NOD32 subscription lapse after 5 years of consistent use.

6) Office 2007 - this is almost a trick question, right? :D

7) Dropbox - never used it but I think someone else covered that.

8) Steam games and COD4 - got no use for either so... someone else can discuss those...

9) Daemon Tools' latest beta works fine, x86 and x64, from all reports (I posted about the first release that did work over well over a month ago in a posting).

1) As already noted, MPC-HC (and match the version, x86 for Windows 7 x86, x64 for Windows 7 x64) and Windows 7's "universal" codec will play effectively anything out there including QuickTime files (but not Real Media, at least not yet) and nothing else is required save for associating all your video container filetypes (.avi, .mkv, .mov, etc) with MPC-HC (you have to run MPC-HC with Admin privileges to make the settings stick, but only that one time).

2) Personally I'd recommend Newsbin Pro for all your NZB downloading requirements but that's just me (been using it since nearly day 1 and I still strongly recommend it). You're the first I've heard that had or may be having issues with that app and Windows 7.

3) uTorrent works flawlessly with Windows 7 in my experience (nearly every "leaked" build to date, never an issue).

4) I'm assuming you mean running WHS inside a VM, as far as I know there shouldn't be a single issue but it would depend on the virtual machine software, perhaps.

5) NOD32 v2.7 through v4.0 has no issues I've ever noted, although I do use Avira nowadays as it's free and I finally let my NOD32 subscription lapse after 5 years of consistent use.

6) Office 2007 - this is almost a trick question, right? :D

7) Dropbox - never used it but I think someone else covered that.

8) Steam games and COD4 - got no use for either so... someone else can discuss those...

9) Daemon Tools' latest beta works fine, x86 and x64, from all reports (I posted about the first release that did work over well over a month ago in a posting).

thanks for the info
what is newsbin pro? a full reader or a nzb downloader?
sabnzbd+ is fucking GREAT
it integrates with newzbin and does automatic sorting for you

Newsbin Pro is the Usenet app that matters. NZB files do make things easier, but Newzbin is still fairly limited in what it's designed to catalog and allow searches for. Newsbin Pro can easily handle NZB files (it was the first app to do so, iirc, followed by Newzleecher and some others) but offers far more than that most basic functionality. For most people, it's overkill, but for someone like myself that's been using Usenet for a few decades, it's a big timesaver.

That, coupled with search engines like Newzleech or Binsearch and some others, does more than a lot of other apps combined.

yeah I don't understand how OS X can get double the battery life of Vista/7

OS X doesn't provide the battery life, the hardware does. Now, as to why other companies can't seem to get their machines to provide the same ballpark of battery life, I have no idea, but it ain't just because of the OS.

Windows 7 should provide better runtimes than any previous version of Windows for many reasons, including the fact that the hardware is more efficient nowadays. The fact that by default Windows 7 dims the LCD brightness automagically after 30 seconds of non-activity or usage should increase typical battery life right off the bat (and I know some people that can't stand it and crank the brightness up and then complain that it's less than it should be).

Kinda like idiots that would shoot themselves in the foot and then complain they couldn't run a marathon... go figure.

OS X doesn't provide the battery life, the hardware does. Now, as to why other companies can't seem to get their machines to provide the same ballpark of battery life, I have no idea, but it ain't just because of the OS.

Windows 7 should provide better runtimes than any previous version of Windows for many reasons, including the fact that the hardware is more efficient nowadays. The fact that by default Windows 7 dims the LCD brightness automagically after 30 seconds of non-activity or usage should increase typical battery life right off the bat (and I know some people that can't stand it and crank the brightness up and then complain that it's less than it should be).

Kinda like idiots that would shoot themselves in the foot and then complain they couldn't run a marathon... go figure.
http://www.anandtech.com/mac/showdoc.aspx?i=3435&p=13

Silly me, we're talking about Windows 7 here, not Vista... ;) Those benchmarks are soooooooooo 2008... aka pre-Windows 7 days...

Now, when they redo that I should expect Windows 7 to have dramatically longer battery life compared to Vista, and close to if not better than OSX on the same hardware - and hopefully done after some time has elapsed with usage being put on both OSes on the same hardware as well.

But then again, the only truly fair competition (in my mind, since I've been part of the OSx86 Project since it began) would be installing the OSes on a non-Apple manufactured machine... but that's just me. :D

OSX is a tuned OS meaning it's designed specifically for the hardware it's installed on - it comes with effectively the drivers for that hardware and not much else, and while it's bloated in some respects (4GB of printer drivers? Geez... but I won't go there since I know they're used so much for DTP work), if I were to custom design something like a tuned Linux distro on a specific static hardware platform, I'd probably be able to eek out the same or similar battery life.

Windows... it's the kitchen sink man... it's got everything because it's designed to run on everything, it can't possibly match the efficiency of OSX and was never designed to. The sheer fact that it runs on a nearly infinite variety of hardware already with little muss and fuss weighs heavily in its favor, but people just keep skipping past that aspect.

And while I like Anand and his site's info, always have (although their forums are pretty sad, unfortunately), I don't trust other people's benchmarks... ever. But that's just me...

In Vista's defense I'd say that the fact that Vista is a self-tuning OS that gets faster over time would have something to do with the battery life noted in those benches, anyone would say that. Now, if they'd compared those same results with OSX and Vista on the same machine after what, 2 months of daily regular usage of both OSes... I'd bet you a brand new MacBook Pro that we'd see some seriously different results with Vista doing much better, much much better.

Vista has never been battery life friendly, this was plain as day from launch. There is a price to pay for all that background "self tuning" and default sidebar crap and process bloat--processors couldn't enter idle states, hard drives couldn't spin down. It is a good operating system for the end of the desktop age, but a fairly poor one at the dawn of the mobile age. I've noticed much, much improved battery life in Windows 7.... I'm getting better battery life on multiple notebooks with W7 (default options) than I did with stripped, slimmed down Vista with rmclock and all the tweaks. From what I've seen, I don't think it's quite on par with the tight kernel and process model in OSX, but it's not far off now.

To the OP, I have found W7 to be remarkably problem free. On some machines I've seen occasional graphic glitches typically surrounding CAD or games interacting strangely with aero, but even these are few and far between. In a business environment I've found more issues... we've logged about a dozen issues with W7 clients on AD domains that are showstopper problems, but aside from domain clients, it's been nigh perfect.

One thing I'm certain of: I trust W7 far more than Vista SP1 or SP2.

Here's something that could help, another improvement over Vista:

http://bhandler.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!70F64BC910C9F7F3!5541.entry

I'll have to check that report out sometime... and if it's anything like what I was mentioning before, with Apple having a nearly static platform and easily being able to totally maximize the battery life because of such tight quality control and requirements for the drivers that all the power management features working properly could easily account for the discrepancies in battery life seen with that OSX vs Vista comparison at AnandTech.

If Windows 7 allows for such reports, and you can pinpoint the issues, and improve battery life on the go in the process, I'd say that's a major improvement in Windows itself. Again, it has to be tempered with the knowledge that Windows = near infinite variety of hardware compatibility whereas OSX is still designed primarily for that nearly static platform which is far far easier to code and optimize for.

And and and... if that stuff is true (which I'm confident it is): "It's the drivers... it's always the god damned drivers..." :D

Edit:

Just ran this on a secondary desktop PC running 7127 and stunned at the level of info it presents. It will most certainly be something that I begin using on laptops with Windows 7 to troubleshoot issues. Absolutely amazing diagnostic tool...

Last edited:
I don't think battery life is an issue in 7. I'm getting significantly better battery life on my Dell laptop than Vista could manage, and 7 kicks the ass of Linux all over the place. Almost 5 hours of regular usage on 7, whereas Ubuntu/Mint/Xubuntu/Fedora all could barely squeek out 4 hours if I let the computer sit idling, doing nothing, with the wireless off. And this is after hours of tuning. Battery life is the main reason I'm using 7, and I don't have to sacrifice any performance for it.

To answer another question, Dropbox works just fine. I couldn't live without Dropbox at this point.

Back