Knocked Resistors Off My Card

siegecraft4

Limp Gawd
Well tonight definetly wasn't a good night. I just got back a VGA silencer rev. 1 from my friend. I proceeded to install it on my 9600pro, not realising the two were incompatible. In the process I managed to knock off three components the back of the card, under the core. Two are larger and one is very small. I believe they are resistors. Now if I understand this corectly, the core is now getting more voltage? The card works fine in both 2d and 3d, much to my surprise. How is this going ot affect the card? I'm worried because this card is borrowed from the same friend and I would rather return it to him down the road instead of ending up paying for a dead card. :(

This is a perfect example of rule #4 dealing with computer equipment.

4) Don't mod shit that isn't yours.

Who knows what's going to happen in the long run. Probably will be alright.

rancor said:
see if you can weld em back on. Be really careful

Just leave them alone. That type of soldering is very dificult and cannot be done with common tools if at all by hand. Your more than likely going to cause more damage.

The first rule of [H]ardocp is that you don't talk about [H]ardocp.
The second rule of [H]ardocp is that you don't talk about [H]ardocp.
The third rule of [H]ardocp is that you don't mod crap that you can't afford to break.

Rule 3b is that if you do break shit, it's part of being [H]ard. Suck it up and buy the replacement part. And shame on you for trying to modify what didn't belong to you. I hope you told him what you were planning.

Met-AL said:
Just leave them alone. That type of soldering is very dificult and cannot be done with common tools if at all by hand. Your more than likely going to cause more damage.

It's not that bad. But you need a decent soldering station, and light/magnifying glass, and some fine tips.

And you better know what the components were, polarity, and where they go exactly.

Other than that you are pretty much stuck with buying your bud a new card.

Why did he borrow you a 9600 Pro then proceed to borrow you a VGA Silencer? Was the silencer to be a paper weight? At any rate, I'd say you better start saving.

Sanitarium said:
Why did he borrow you a 9600 Pro then proceed to borrow you a VGA Silencer? Was the silencer to be a paper weight? At any rate, I'd say you better start saving.

Complicated situation. I gave him the Silencer when my 9500 pro broke from excess overclocking. He never used it, but I borrowed one of his extra cards, this 9600 pro. Its not like he needs it so I'm covered. Even if he demands payment I've got that covered too.

I think I'll just forget about the soldering, one of the resistors was cracked in half anyway. I'll wait and see what happens. I just can't believe it still works! Ah well, another excuse to buy that 6800gt I've been wanting.

What would be really great is if someone with a card that has been damaged in a similar way could post how long it lasted them. I know I've seen these damaged but working threads before.

I changed the thread title to better reflect the YOUR situation. Sorry for the bad news, but did you not hear about Rule #4? :(

I did this to my 9800Pro many months ago. Never had any problems, I think the card should work fine for the rest of its usefull life (hopefully). :)

AFAIK, they mainly have capacitors DIRECTLY behind the core, not resistors. The difference isn't subtle at all. Anyways, capacitors are put on to 'quiet' the circuit - to take out interference created by other components/circuits, if you want to think of it that way. It shouldn't harm the card - obviously its better to have all the capacitors on the card - but it should live a long life even w/o them.

I used to run a slot-a Athlon Thunderbird cpu which I had an accident with. While modding it to get a direct cpu die to HSF contact and resolder resistors to change it from 750 to 900 & +0.2volts, my screwdriver slipped off the cpu pcb's retention tabs and 'sliced' a capacitor off. I noticed that they had a huge grid of capacitors going from most of the cpu pins to ground, so I figured it should be fine. It lasted the 12 months before I got my 1700+, and AFAIK it still works.

Moral of the story: capacitors are like ladies at the Playboy mansion - the more the merrier (& 1-3 gone never get missed ;)).

HiProfile said:
Moral of the story: capacitors are like ladies at the Playboy mansion - the more the merrier (& 1-3 gone never get missed ;)).

ROFLMAO....

vodkajello said:
It's not that bad. But you need a decent soldering station, and light/magnifying glass, and some fine tips.

And you better know what the components were, polarity, and where they go exactly.

Other than that you are pretty much stuck with buying your bud a new card.
Mike, didn't know you posted here! (84GLI) :D

siegecraft4: If you know someone with the exact same card, and who is willing to help you out, you can look at the card (or a pic) and see how the components should be oriented/placed. Then, with some awesome soldering (and STEADY hands) you should be able to put them back on (SMT components don't like too much heat, so be fast). Having good equipment is key here. A PS2 modchip install I was doing got botched because the small soldering tip I had just wasn't small enough for the PS2 BIOS chip, and broke a couple legs. :eek:

post a picture of the damaged area along with the pcb part # and i'll see if i can come up with the part values

Back