Klipsch speakers...

MooCow

[H]F Junkie
Ok. I've owned two sets of Klipsch speakers already. One was 2.1 and now I have a 2.0. Everytime I turn the volume knob, I hear excessive static noise, and then at certain points, the right speaker is louder than the left. I've checked my connections and it just seems that every Klipsch I've owned has this issue. Seriously, what the fuck, I know I overpaid for these Promedia 2.0's and they couldn't even get a decent working volume knob. Anyone experience this too?

I had a set where I broke the cable between the sub and the "control puck" and it behaved like this, but I called Klipsch and they had me send in the cables and the control puck, sent me a new one, and it's worked fine ever since. Only thing mine does is blow a fuse maybe once a year for no apparent reason. I've had them a good 3, 4 years at this point.

Ok. I've owned two sets of Klipsch speakers already. One was 2.1 and now I have a 2.0. Everytime I turn the volume knob, I hear excessive static noise, and then at certain points, the right speaker is louder than the left. I've checked my connections and it just seems that every Klipsch I've owned has this issue. Seriously, what the fuck, I know I overpaid for these Promedia 2.0's and they couldn't even get a decent working volume knob. Anyone experience this too?

Funny you mention it. I was looking at the 2.1s in Best Buy and they did the exact same thing. I noticed that the volume knob felt kind of weak. I am still thinking about getting a pair because I set the volume once and then do all of the adjusting in windows.

Every display I've ever seen with the promedias have a loose volume knob, mostly from people playing with it/handling improperly. I've had mine now for quite a while, no issues with the volume knob being loose.

Static and uneven balance is most likely a bad pot behind the volume knob (unless these things use hall sensors, but I kind of doubt it). I've fixed a few multimedia speakers before by simply disassembling and cleaning/lubing the inside of the pot. One trick is if you make sure the power is off, quickly rotate the volume knob back and forth to its extremes many times. This will sometimes help.

The only complaint I have about the Promedia GMX-A 2.1s is their tendency to go nuts around cell phones. It doesn't always happen right away, but if I get a call and happen to have left my cell too close to the system they will make this /horrible/ and extremely loud (regardless of volume knob position, so long as they're on) "blaaaaat" sound. It's enough to make you jump.

I've had 2 separate control units for my promedia 5.1s. Both of them have ended up doing the same thing. I try to lightly press the button to switch to headphone mode, and it just "beeps" and does nothing. So I unplug and re-plug them in, and viola, I can get to headphone mode for a couple of days.

I'm fairly certain this is the issue that used to pop up around here frequently. I even had it at one time with my PM4.1 (static when turning volume knob), and fixed it by turning the speakers off and sweeping the volume knob from min to max repeatedly. IIRC it has to do with dust/dirt getting into the knob

edit: noticed jwhazel commented on this also

The only complaint I have about the Promedia GMX-A 2.1s is their tendency to go nuts around cell phones. It doesn't always happen right away, but if I get a call and happen to have left my cell too close to the system they will make this /horrible/ and extremely loud (regardless of volume knob position, so long as they're on) "blaaaaat" sound. It's enough to make you jump.

I notice this too,although at not quite a volume and it occurs with most other speakers I have had in addition to the promedia. The pattern reminds me of morse code. Think of that wonderful radiation going into your brain too :)

Your problem is a very common one. All this means is the potentiometer is dirty, literally.

If you call Klipsch, they should have a solution to ameliorate your issue. I read somewhere how to clean it, but I don't want to regurgitate information if it's not pinpoint accurate... might as well go to the source.

Good luck!

This isn't really a valid complaint against Klipsch though. Any speaker system will do this.

Now that I see the problem, I still think its kinda shitty that they still use the same shitty volume knob. I owned a set of 2.1 promedias a few years back and it did the same thing. Common problem? Ok. But if I have to warranty it, I'll make it my last. No more Klipsch.

If you call Klipsch, they should have a solution to ameliorate your issue.

Ok I know how to use context clues and such, but I still had to google that one...

Sounds like Klipsch is going to write him a prescription for a dirty pot. :D

Back