Kindle Fire HD or Asus EEPAD TF101?

TheWeazmeister

<a href=http://www.blogcdn.com/www.parentdish.com/
They are both 199, the Kindle Fire HD has better screen, but Asus is a full blown tablet, etc etc. Input please :)

What about the Nexus 7? Starts at $199 and you get the full tablet experience. Much faster than the Transformer. Only downside is a smaller screen (although that can also be considered an upside).

These are totally different because of the screen sizes. If you like the smaller tablet, go with the Nexus or KF. If you want a larger screen, go with the Transformer. Personally, I thought the transformer was a little slow, but I didn't have it that long.

Take a look at xda forum, you probably can update the ROM for the kindle.

Otherwise, the Kindles are pretty locked down. Its OK unless you want to download from Google play or similar. There are still a few apps at get jar that are not at amazon.

TF101 is pretty slow these days, UNLESS you root it, throw a JB rom on it, and overclock the tablet. Even doing that though, it can't play 1080p video, and 3d games should run better on the newer tablets.

I really want something new, bought the TF101 at launch. But nothing besides the other Asus Transformer lineup seem to meet my needs. And I'm not paying $300-500 for a Tegra2 to Tegra3 upgrade. Waiting on Tegra 4 Transformer.

Bought and returned the N7. Lack of hdmi out and SD slot kills it. I did run it side by side with my TF101, there is no noticeable performance difference in almost every task when both on JB. Another reason it was returned.

Played with the KF, just laggy and really don't like the Amazon UI or ecosystem.

Thanks guys, pretty much looks like a KF HD for me, got a $200 gift cert for it, and I don't think they carry the N7 16GB in store.

Got the KFHD and couldn't be happier. Excellent build quality and with the Amazon Kindle FreeTime my kids are in heaven. Unlimited streaming movies, gazillion illustrated books, and unlimited apps. Yeah, best $5/month ever.

Got the KFHD and couldn't be happier. Excellent build quality and with the Amazon Kindle FreeTime my kids are in heaven. Unlimited streaming movies, gazillion illustrated books, and unlimited apps. Yeah, best $5/month ever.

That Kindle FreeTime setup is pretty awesome. I had no idea that Amazon had a program like that for kids. Kinda makes me wish I would have gone the Kindle HD route, instead of the Nabi 2 (Tegra 3 "kids" tablet).

All well. Live and learn. (sigh)

Nexus 7 has low quality display and not very good touch control. No sd card slot and no hdmi out put. Only has 1 micro usb input. Feels low quality. Strongest feature is good Android support.

Nexus 7 is nickel and dimed tablet that is extremely lacking.

Wait for amoled display in tablets with more features.

Nexus 7 has low quality display and not very good touch control. No sd card slot and no hdmi out put. Only has 1 micro usb input. Feels low quality. Strongest feature is good Android support.

Nexus 7 is nickel and dimed tablet that is extremely lacking.

Wait for amoled display in tablets with more features.

Low-quality display? I beg to differ. It might not be the absolute best, but it is by no means low-quality. And there is nothing wrong with the touch screen.

And it is a low-cost tablet, so there is no wonder some of those other features were left off.

Low-quality display? I beg to differ. It might not be the absolute best, but it is by no means low-quality. And there is nothing wrong with the touch screen.

And it is a low-cost tablet, so there is no wonder some of those other features were left off.

The one I had felt cheap and display was washed out lacked good contrast. Touch felt sloppy. Compared to my Samsung Galaxy 2 display is very weak and my phone is much older.

Nexus 7 is nickel and dimed tablet IMO. Can't recommend it.

If you keep an eye out, Tegra 3 tablets pop up used/refurbed all of the time (like the Transformer Prime TF201) for $200-$250 ish.

The one I had felt cheap and display was washed out lacked good contrast. Touch felt sloppy. Compared to my Samsung Galaxy 2 display is very weak and my phone is much older.

Nexus 7 is nickel and dimed tablet IMO. Can't recommend it.

Low quality may not be the words I would have used. I think the display itself is good. It's just ASUS didn't calibrate it at all. The colors looked washed out, white saturation is really bad. We don't need an AMOLED display, we just need someone that pays attention to color quality and calibrates their LCD screens. Seems like Google hasn't felt this was important with any of their Nexus devices.

By contrast the Kindle Fire HD display looks much better next to a Nexus 7. It's sad, I think the Nexus 7 is a pretty nice tablet. But Google and ASUS really messed up on the display.

Not sure what issue you had with the touch input. All 5 of my Nexus 7 tablets seemed fine with touch. Sadly that brings me to the next point. Build quality was atrocious for the Nexus 7 the first few months. I went through 5 tablets with loose glass on the left side. It was comical watching the users try to fix it ourselves, and then the various tweaks ASUS was doing between builds, such as removing certain screens or adding padding, I dunno if they ever got that down right or not.

But what I do love about the Nexus 7 is it's narrow width, it feels great in my hand, the nice textured back, and it's light weight. And the Tegra 3 and Jelly Bean were a fast combination.

We don't need an AMOLED display, we just need someone that pays attention to color quality and calibrates their LCD screens.

I prefer them.

IMO they are the future which is running late.

Back