• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Kinda between a rock and a ....doom3

PaulMuaddib

Weaksauce
Joined
Mar 25, 2004
Messages
111
My main rig is hooked to my 19' LCD display, which has a native resolution of 1280x1024.

Therein lies my dilema, according to the Doom 3 Hardware guide, my card (9800pro) should only be decent at 1024x768.

So,

Should I sell my 9800pro (Sapphire) and spend a third of a paycheck on a 6800gt/x800 etc. or can my system run Doom3 at 1280x1024 with some eye candy at good frame rates?

For reference here is my comp:

MSI PT880 Neo LSR
P4 3.2c at 3.6 on H20 (Maze 4)
Sapphire 9800Pro OCd to 441core 371ddr
120gb Deathstar for XP (IDE)
80gb SATA Samsung for games
Enermax 500watt PS (the ONLY PS worth buying if you ask me)
2x512 sticks of Kingston PC3200 in Dual Channel mode.
 
This problem can be solved in either of two ways:

Panic like a Girl Scout.
Try it and see.

Pick one.
 
buy doom, run it at 1024x768 and 1280x1024, then see how it plays and looks. if you can live with it, you've just saved yourself 400 bucks

or you can mail me the 19" screen and i'll send you a cute little 15" one that runs natively at 1024x768 =b
 
Should be fine, you donot need AA/AF in that game really to enjoy it at all from what I've seen.

(I dunno how the XboX could handle it at 720P if your 9800 can't handle 12x10)
 
Thats the problem, 1280x1024 is native and anything less than that looks like garbage.

Im not going to use AA at all... being that this game is mostly inside and darkly lit. AF on the other hand is perty.

Thanks for the feedback. I might have to put in an order through the office and have them pay for my new card because I need it for my "ahem" workstation at home.
 
I have a non-overclocked P4 2.53, 1.5 gigs of ram, 9600xt, and a 17" LCD with a native resolution of 1280x1024. I can run Doom 3 just fine on medium quality with no AA/AF at my native resolution. The only time I have slowdown is when there are a lot of particle effects on the screen at the same time (smoke, fire, etc.) or multiple enemies at very close range. From what I've experienced, I don't think you should have any problem with your system though. The game looks incredible with these settings, although I can't wait to see what it's like once I get my 6800GT :)
 
My 6800GT is in the UPS truck heading to my house as we speak...must find a reason to get off work early.... :eek:
 
Well I picked up my copy last night at 7pm at Gamestop:

And all I can say is WOW!!!!


1280x1024 at High settings (no aa) is AWESOMME and SMOOOOOTH


I love it!


I could only play for about an hour though... got too scared (i'm a woosie)
 
congratzi on the game ..mine will arrive later this week ..

by the way ..are/were you also tspaulm ?
 
Back
Top