Kids DVD/PC

Reagent

Limp Gawd
I have a machine that I am looking to use for a PC/HTPC to play my kids DVD's.

I have an entire closet full of cartoons that are scratched and buggy as hell that I would like to rip to a hard drive and allow my kids to watch. There are many movies that will not play on the Home theater that have zero issues running on the computer once ripped.

I have almost no idea what I need, but here is what I have:

opeteron 165, 4gb ram, 250gb HD raptor. Asus MoBo.

Obviously I will need a G Card, a simple case that a 17inch CRT veiwsonic monitor can sit on, and probably a remote that is simple enough for a 5yr old and 3 yr old to use. Will most likely be buying some very large HD's for the files as I have about 100-300 cartoons to copy.

I also have no idea what software i will need to make this easy for a kid to use.

Any help is much appreciated.

Cost is obviously an issue. Simplicity is a must as this is for children to use.

LOL, I wish I had a 4850. I use Media Center Edition 2005 on my 6 year old's PC along with a Microsoft remote & IR receiver. He's just started learning how to play back some of his recorded stuff. It's as simple as anything else. The choices are right there. You can use DVD Fab Decrypter (it's free) to rip the DVDs to the hard drive. The free version lets you copy the movie only, but that's probably all you want.

What kind of TV is this hooking up to? Thinking of what your video input options are. CRT with S-video or HDTV /w HDMI, DVI or VGA?

Yeah sorry I have both a 17inch and 19inch CRT (both viewsonic) in the garage, as far as the HD's go i have BOTH a 36gb? raptor and a 250gb WD caviar Sata drive, sorry about that.

Back