Khronos Group Releases Vulkan 1.1

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Khronos Group has released version 1.1 of Vulkan to the wild and it contains some interesting improvements over the previous version. According to Khronos, developers wanted subgroup operations and now they have them. If I understand subgroup operations correctly these operations should help developers to leverage parallelism to speed up compute operations. Also, 1.1 brings protected content capability to Vulkan. If you want the latest AMD driver that contains Vulkan 1.1 you're in luck because they're available now (release notes here). Nvidia plans to support this in their drivers but haven't released them yet. Hopefully this new Vulkan release offers an improvement over already stellar gaming performance. Thanks cageymaru.

New functionality in Vulkan 1.1 includes Subgroup Operations that enable highly-efficient sharing and manipulation of data between multiple tasks running in parallel on a GPU. Vulkan 1.1 also enables applications to perform rendering and display operations using resources that they cannot access or copy - for secure playback and display of protected multimedia content.

Last edited:
As much as I'd love to see it. I don't see DX12/Vulkan adoption happening in any real sense for another oh.....5+ years probably. Devs just don't give a crap, 30+ FPS is good enough!

As much as I'd love to see it. I don't see DX12/Vulkan adoption happening in any real sense for another oh.....5+ years probably. Devs just don't give a crap, 30+ FPS is good enough!
Ha!

It seems like it won't really matter which graphics api you choose in the near future, it's going to be translated to Vulkan. Projects like DXVK and glide2 show promise, and I wouldn't be surprised if a gl driver is introduced to do the same.

d7c039271687ad3d05d79f6737369cbb.jpg

Ha!

It seems like it won't really matter which graphics api you choose in the near future, it's going to be translated to Vulkan. Projects like DXVK and glide2 show promise, and I wouldn't be surprised if a gl driver is introduced to do the same.
The sooner the better, and hopefully means I can ditch winblows too. Been over it for years but hate multibooting and I game way too much for Linux.

Back