KFC Smart Restaurant Suggests Food Based On Your Face

HardOCP News

[H] News
I wish they would have shown this tech in action so we could all see how it works. All I keep picturing in my head is the damn machine taking one look at me and suggesting a bucket of extra crispy chicken...over and over and over. ;)

The search giant sometimes referred to as the ‘Google of China’ partnered with KFC to open a new “smart restaurant” in Beijing, which employs facial recognition to make recommendations about what customers might order, based on factors like their age, gender and facial expression.

Why? I mean honestly are people such blind sheep that they can't figure out what they are in the mood to eat? I would stop going to any restaurant that tried to make recommendations to me without me asking.

Then again, I'm only going to KFC about once every 5 years anyhow.

I'm not sure I'm liking this - the machine will take one look at me and say "No - you already have more chins than a Hong Kong phone directory. <soup Nazi accent> NO CHICKEN FOR YOU!"

I'm not sure I'm liking this - the machine will take one look at me and say "No - you already have more chins than a Hong Kong phone directory. <soup Nazi accent> NO CHICKEN FOR YOU!"
Just the opposite. This is a restaurant after all. I would expect it to look at my face and immediately hit my debit card for a family bucket meal, then ask, "Are you sure only two large sides of mashed potatoes and gravy will be enough, fatty?" To which I will hang my head in shame and click on the option to add a third.

Sounds dumb and I haven't really been a fan of KFC, although I will say I tried the Nashville hot and I was pleasantly surprised.

this is kind of creepy. I could see them saving the facial recognition software and setting up targeted advertisement based on who you are.
IE: You use this kfc recommendation thing (which is BS), they save your info. When you're walking down the street, some smart advertisement recognizes you and offers you 1$ off your next purchase of chicken nuggets (lets say you ordered that last time).
Further on down the road another advertisement pops up and advertises a gym to work off those extra calories that you've eaten. Further on down there's a ad for liposuction because of your excess calories, etc.
Basically if they save the data they can sell it. It's a gold mine. Credit card purchases are one thing but they don't come with facial recognition. By recognizing the person and attaching it to purchases, there's room for a lot of invasive stuff.

How on earth does a person's physical and demographic data relate to chicken preference? Isn't taste more of psychological and sociological function?

Excuse to collect data and profile Chinese citizens. They are doing it now in Americans who are chinese

But KFC only sells chicken so it's chicken or crispy chicken. Which type are you? I prefer original.

This is Chinese KFC. They probably have cat and dog as well.

Oh, don't remind me of that. I saw a video about how they torture the cats and dogs before they kill them because they claim it makes the meat taste better. It has some very disturbing images and is hard to watch. I saved the video to my HDD because there is one image in it I am going to use to shame them. And they say Asians have the highest IQ average in the world. Just goes to prove that IQ testing is BS.

If it is like my last trip to Beijing, it's a bowl of greasy water with something vaguely resembling a talon floating in it which the employees vigorously assert is or contains chicken.

How on earth does a person's physical and demographic data relate to chicken preference? Isn't taste more of psychological and sociological function?

People of different age get different things, as explained in the article.

I'm actually looking forward for this to be implemented in every KFC in China. I just want to see how good it is and how well it remembers my choices.

Oh, don't remind me of that. I saw a video about how they torture the cats and dogs before they kill them because they claim it makes the meat taste better. It has some very disturbing images and is hard to watch. I saved the video to my HDD because there is one image in it I am going to use to shame them. And they say Asians have the highest IQ average in the world. Just goes to prove that IQ testing is BS.

Intelligence is independent from morality.

Eg: WWII Germany.

People of different age get different things, as explained in the article.

I'm actually looking forward for this to be implemented in every KFC in China. I just want to see how good it is and how well it remembers my choices.
Why don't you remember your choice? I guess age includes people too distracted to remember anything themselves. This is still stupid.

Beep beep, customer detected, excess weight, neckbeard, suggest 2x big bucket meal.

I wonder if they'll put some kind of limit /warning/ healthy choice for certain people after too many visits. xD

"Sir, We recommend a refreshing ice water with your side of green beans after your last 4 Double Downs in the last few days....."

I wonder if they'll put some kind of limit /warning/ healthy choice for certain people after too many visits. xD

"Sir, We recommend a refreshing ice water with your side of green beans after your last 4 Double Downs in the last few days....."

Funny that you mentioned it.

Back when I was in middle school I goto KFC for lunch everyday. They had a Tuesday special that is $3 for 2 pieces of chicken.

Every other Tuesday there will be an ambulance parked in the alleyway beside the KFC lol.

It'd take one good look at me and offer me the whole restaurant...

Black people get offered watermelon and orange soda along with their bucket of wings.
I thought the stereotype is grape though... but then again, who doesn't love watermelon, grape drink, and fried chicken! Shits delicious!

Funny that you mentioned it.

Back when I was in middle school I goto KFC for lunch everyday. They had a Tuesday special that is $3 for 2 pieces of chicken.

Every other Tuesday there will be an ambulance parked in the alleyway beside the KFC lol.

Smart, they get to pick up lunch and their patients!

"Guys why are you still eating lunch there?"

"Why would we go back when you're gonna send us back here anyways"

:p

Sounds dumb and I haven't really been a fan of KFC, although I will say I tried the Nashville hot and I was pleasantly surprised.

I was on the bus, coming back from work today. I saw a couple of KFCs on my way home, and they were advertising this. I haven't had KFC in a year, but I was tempted to try it today.

I'd probably have to walk back home in order to walk some it off, though.

Wonder how many of the other yum food places are over there and if they will try this as any of those. Although can't see Taco bell or A&W being big over there. Maybe Pizza Hut,

not only that but you might order differently based on day / preference. Some days I might get their buffet just to make it more cost effective as I can eat more then for less. If in a hurry might pickup a sandwich or tenders. Other times I might be getting stuff for a family gathering and need a family size meal.

that said some people do fall I to a routine of ordering the same thing so I could see it be more useful if it remembered you personally and asked if you wanted to repeat an old order. When I was in college we would order pizzas almost every Friday when working on stuff in the computer lab. They knew as soon as they picked up the phone what we would order as we got the sams thing every week. Finally got to the point we would call, they would answer and just say 30 minutes and hang up. I have an aunt that is the same way with a local place, she calls and they just ask the usual?

but yeah, nothing about age, gender or how you look tells what you want to order.

But KFC only sells chicken so it's chicken or crispy chicken. Which type are you? I prefer original.

they have more options than just that. Grilled or fried. Crispy, original, BBQ, Nashville heat or something like that. Tenders, popcorn, sandwich, bowls.

Back