keyboard silliness

honegod

[H]F Junkie
I type by choosing each key and pressing it with my index finger.
so the caption needs to be large and distinct.
I often type in dim ambient lighting, so radium grade glow in the dark captions would be great.
I do not game so response time = meh.
audible clicky is not desired, but a bit of tactile would be nice.
special function keys are not desired.
dust resistance would be a good thing.
places to go around to, to look at prospects, are few on the ground.

so, a standard ibm qwerty layout with huge variable illuminated letter keys that is HIGH QUALITY.
saving money IS NOT THE POINT, I want to spend for reliable function, not rainbow puke.

suggestions please ?

Large Print Backlit Keyboard​

now we are cooking, thank you.

I would like to get something from a name brand, Logitech is the only name brand i am familiar with, I like their mice.
the only logitech offering has tiny print illuminated keys, no good.

I would much prefer to not get a random product from china, which are plentiful on amazon.

is there a keyboard maker with a stable reputation for good quality that might offer a

Large Print Backlit full size Keyboard ?​

You could learn to type. That would open up your options for keyboards.

Large print isnt something I have ever seen.

I can tell you my current favourite keyboard has easily legible backlit keys, the Steelseries Apex Pro RGB.
I'm not a fan of Steelseries "mice" after suffering a faulty cable and the replacement mouse was second hand and suffered multiple button failures shortly after.
But the Apex Pro Keyboard is fantastic.
It uses hall effect switches, you can set the height they trigger at and is way quieter than any Corsair mech keyboard including the K100 RGB with Optical switches, which I also have.

But you may not want a mechanical switch keyboard, they cost more.
You really need to go to a PC shop and try/see the kind of thing on sale.

You could learn to type.
I tried in high school, I failed all 3 years, I do not possess the requisite digital dexterity.
I suck at gaming too, same malfunction.
I have got pretty good at the location of the keys so I can operate in low visibility with acceptable miss ratio.
big lit keys would just make life easier.

I understand this is not the place where handicap grade keyboards will be a hot topic
I used to have a logitech wireless mouse, reading the 2 star reviews on amazon of the Logitech MX keys reminded why I run wired mice now
it looks like cheap crap overwhelmingly dominates the market, so much so that even the high end leans toward cheap crap.
so it appears that my best course is to just buy whatever cheap crap looks to best suit my requirements,
in the full expectation that I will have to repeat this chore frequently.
viewing keyboards as a consumable rather than the investment I was hoping to find.

I just ordered a SteelSeries Apex 3 rgb gaming,
hopefully I can tone the rainbow puke down to a dim glow ,
color coding zones sounds useful.
the 3 is the only one with dustproofing as a feature which is a big plus

I understand this is not the place where handicap grade keyboards will be a hot topic
I used to have a logitech wireless mouse, reading the 2 star reviews on amazon of the Logitech MX keys reminded why I run wired mice now
it looks like cheap crap overwhelmingly dominates the market, so much so that even the high end leans toward cheap crap.
so it appears that my best course is to just buy whatever cheap crap looks to best suit my requirements,
in the full expectation that I will have to repeat this chore frequently.
viewing keyboards as a consumable rather than the investment I was hoping to find.
I understand the print may not be big enough. But this is the one I was referring too.
https://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Advanced-Wireless-Illuminated-Keyboard/dp/B07S92QBCJ

I'm using it now while I wait for my mechanical one that died to be replaced. It's actually a very nice keyboard, quiet, back lighting, Bluetooth, and rechargeable.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
It's actually a very nice keyboard, quiet, back lighting, Bluetooth, and rechargeable.
yes, thank you.
the same list of reviews come up for everything on amazon, with no way to narrow it down to the specific device in question.
so I was just reminded of how bad the logitech unifying receiver is, and why I do not want one.
price is not a primary consideration, but I can get 3 crappy wired units for every 1 crappy (in my experience) wireless one.
the SteelSeries line looks like they at least care about their product, and seems more likely to have something resembling support.
I admit to being saddened by the Apex 3 sitting squarely at the bottom of the line, but, like my Yaris it ticked the important boxes with no big red X's.

Is this large enough text?

1657676288328.png

This is a link to a similar one on Amazon, https://www.amazon.com/BOOGIIO-Computer-Keyboard-Oversized-Individuals/dp/B07QR3YHPK

this one is backlit, https://www.amazon.com/SurnQiee-Backlit-Keyboard-Standard-Computer/dp/B07RWR3ZQ3

Also, you could probably get custom large font keycaps for most keyboards that use Cherry MX style switches.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Is this large enough text?
yes !

those are what I was referring to as "cheap crap consumable"
the surn qiee specifically I had in my cart until I decided on the Apex 3.
the plan still is to just buy whatever looks good for my needs and get a different one each time, if one is great, buy a bunch of it as spares.

yes !

those are what I was referring to as "cheap crap consumable"
the surn qiee specifically I had in my cart until I decided on the Apex 3.
the plan still is to just buy whatever looks good for my needs and get a different one each time, if one is great, buy a bunch of it as spares.

I just read that https://www.wasdkeyboards.com/ can do custom large font keycaps for the keyboards.
they are pricey though.

1657686333457.png

Last edited:
the Steelseries arrived and I have been typing on it, not bad, not perfect.
the letters only cover a quarter of the key, and they are not at all bright.
but the lit letters are crisp and clear, and the keys are shaped nicely against the finger.
the waves of rainbow puke surrounding the keys probably look great with the right drugs.
this will satisfy until it breaks, but it feels as solid as I could ask.
the keys are not at all loud, sort of like a good cable shifter, better than the Yaris.

Use the software to change light pattern or set it to a single colour.
There may even be a way to do it without the software, check the manual.

yes, theyrs buttons.
I can change the rythem and make it run backwards.
if it loaded drivers that allow per key steady color, I would use that.
I don't see anything like that.
best I found so far is really slow.

the steelseries GG software is what I was looking for.
for some reason this incarnation of my computer takes a REALLY long time to install some software.
I plugged the keyboard in, fiddled a bit then went to bed, when I woke there was an invite to downloag and install the GG software, click here.
clicked there and found out that my ISP had crashed, no internet, the invite vanished.
when the web returned I downloaded and installed the current version.
it installed pretty quick but I am thinking that maybe I should move my Download folder back onto the C drive, since the 500gb 970pro M.2 should have enough room
and be faster than the 14tb western digital ultrastar I have it on now.

rooting around got me to the zone illumination settings, where I was able to set the letters 255red and the numbers 255blue, with no flashing and stuff.
this keyboard is well worth what I paid for it.
the stuff I like I like alot, the stuff I don't like, well, now I know what to look for on my next keyboard.

Back