Keyboard for DAD

bytes

Limp Gawd
Hi, im looking at getting a keyboard for my dad and ideally it needs to be as simple as possible with no flashing lights, gaming modes etc and a non-mechanical one. Something like the apple keyboard in black would be great. Price is not an issue however build quality is as its got to be a strong, well built keyboard that is wired.

Right now he has this steelseries mouse - Kinzu v2

In his words its the best mouse he's ever used, so he would like a keyboard to match it in build quality, ease of use etc. Can anybody recommend one or post a link to the best keyboard review site you know off. Thanks.

Those aren't exactly steep requirements. I'd just go to Best Buy or Fry's or whatever you have nearby and look at what they have on display. Are you after scissor keys like the Mac keyboard, specifically? Logitech and Microsoft are both good options. Microsoft's will probably be a little better with that set of features.

Edit: What about something like this?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823201047

If cost is really no object, you might consider a Topre-equipped board, like a Realforce. It's technically mechanical, but it uses a hybrid of mechanical and rubber dome switches, so it doesn't have the annoying clackiness that some users complain about. Most people who care about keyboards consider these to be the best on the market.
http://elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=topre_keyboards,realforce&pid=rf_se02c0

You might also consider a mechanical that doesn't come with Cherry MX Blue switches. The blues are noisy like the stereotypical mechanical, but browns and reds are not, and you can buy them with little O-rings on the bottoms of the keys, so they don't clack when press them all the way down.

WASD will sell you a customized one with the o-rings any switch type you like:
http://www.wasdkeyboards.com

I thought those were steep requirements :)

Heres what he needs:

1- Quiet keyboard typing
2- compact design
3- wired
4- black color would be best
5- really good build quality
6- laptop style keys would be best

What he doesn't need:

1- macros
2- backlights
3- number keypad
4- media controls
5- wireless
6- mechanical
7- lcd display etc

All the keyboards iv looked at that almost match what he needs seem to be the really cheap keyboards with generally poor quality. With his mouse he got a really simple plug and play mouse with excellent build quality, really comfy, glides smoothly, looks good and the only downside for him is the cpi changer button as he doesn't need or understand what its for lol. Something similar for a keyboard would be ideal. It doesn't matter if it has one thing on it he doesn't need but lots of the keyboards you get when you start spending more seem to have multiples of the things in his doesn't need list which would just make it too confusing for him.

I have looked at that rosewill 1 you linked to but i thought it might be too cheap. Some of the reviews for it state keys are wobbly, feels cheap and flimsy etc. I don't think he would like a mechanical keyboard. Iv tried them and they look, feel and sound like a 1980's keyboard. Im not sure he would think that's a step up from what hes using, more like a step down.

I know it's mechanical, but a CM Storm Quickfire Rapid with MX Reds would be a great option. Compact, quiet, extremely well build, not crazy expensive (under $100). No number pad, no macro keys (though there are some alt options for media controls which can be nice). Great board. No backlight, not too flashy or silly looking.

Most mice with DPI adjustment buttons, you can disable them in the setup / driver application. I'd look in to that.

That razer keyboard would just confuse him. As for Logitech id prefer not to buy anything from them as everything iv tried from logitech iv disliked. They just feel cheap, have a tendency to break and give the impression of low quality crap at prices about double what they should be.

Although the mechanical keyboards seam to be the simplest for him, i just cant see him liking them. They just have a really old look to them and sound loud compared to the newer style keyboards. Iv set up his pc to be quiet and a mechanical keyboard would just ruin that.

With his mouse i didn't install the software so its just a plug and play mouse. I don't live with my dad and hes not great with computers so everything has to be a really simple in case something goes wrong. Hes in his 60's and telling him to download and configure drivers would just be a nightmare lol. With plug and play drivers a simple reboot or disconnect the mouse and then reconnect it should fix any problem with it.

That razer keyboard would just confuse him. As for Logitech id prefer not to buy anything from them as everything iv tried from logitech iv disliked. They just feel cheap, have a tendency to break and give the impression of low quality crap at prices about double what they should be.

Although the mechanical keyboards seam to be the simplest for him, i just cant see him liking them. They just have a really old look to them and sound loud compared to the newer style keyboards. Iv set up his pc to be quiet and a mechanical keyboard would just ruin that.

With his mouse i didn't install the software so its just a plug and play mouse. I don't live with my dad and hes not great with computers so everything has to be a really simple in case something goes wrong. Hes in his 60's and telling him to download and configure drivers would just be a nightmare lol. With plug and play drivers a simple reboot or disconnect the mouse and then reconnect it should fix any problem with it.

Logitech generally makes the best peripherals and has the best support. Im not really sure what you want considering you dont want anything flashy but the mechanical boards are 'too plain'.

There are quieter mechanical keyboards, reds and blacks are generally quiet unless bottomed out.

I wont buy logitech so that's out. Im not sure who you are quoting with 'too plain' as i didn't say that, what i said is they have a "really old look to them". Take a 1980's keyboard and stick it next to a 2012 mechanical one and there's not a lot of difference as they have a very dated design look to them.

If anything i want it to be plain but at the same time quite sleek looking and modern like the Apple Keyboard or something similar ish.

You could try the razor arctosa. The only thing it seems to have that you don't want is the number pad. Its modern looking, laptop style keys, and relatively well put together. I used its backlit brother (Lycosa) on my Media center PC.

Mechanical keyboards look modern and stylish to me but everyone has their own opinions. Just get an apple keyboard then.

Dont buy anything razor, their quality and support is mediocre.

Hmm, I would suggest a Unicomp Quite Touch, but that has F keys and a numpad. So you want a TKL rubber dome? You could go for something like Topre...

Mechanical keyboards look modern and stylish to me but everyone has their own opinions. Just get an apple keyboard then.

Dont buy anything razor, their quality and support is mediocre.

Anything is better than Razor brand keyboards.

I don't know if I'm just lucky then. I've never had a single piece of razor equipment fail me. I've had Saitek, Microsoft, and Logitech stuff die on me. Never Razor. even when it rightfully should have. The Lycosa I have has seen more then its fair share of Coca-cola, and been scrubbed down in the bath tub twice. Both times, came back fine and dandy. I haven't ever used a razor mouse, but both my Lycosa and my Blackwidow Ultimate have been problem free for more then 3 years. I can only hope my Ducky Shine holds up as well as they do.

Back