Kevin Mitnick's Latest Invention

HardOCP News

[H] News
Why in the world would anyone ever need something like this? Never mind, this is Kevin Mitnick we are talking about, he should invent a bracelet with soap-on-a-rope too, just in case this idea doesn't work out. :D

...and now all the police know about it and will remove it on arrest.

Nice work.

who doesn't already carry a cuff key in their back pocket?

That's clever & not being metal it wouldn't show up when wanded. I'm getting some.

I have one of his credit card sized lockpick toolkits. Count me in for one of these, too.

go to jail and they find this.. you will end up in leg chains everytime your out of your cell. trust me.

"I travel to South America, Mexico, Ecuador, Colombia and we have warnings from the State Department about kidnappings going on, especially in Caracas," he said. "If I'm kidnapped for some reason it would be great to be able to escape if they handcuff you. That's why I wear it to South America all the time."

If it's that unsafe, stay the hell out, problem solved.

I'd imagine he would be tied up with ropes or something else instead of a normal handcuff if he's kidnapped in those countries.

It's hidden well enough that I'd assume no cop or bad-guy would be able to know you have something like this.

Even if they could recognize the design, it's not like you couldn't change the band or braid.

Genius, but hopefully something that is never/never has to be used.

only issue there to cheap for handcuffs they just use good old Mk.1 rope

That's going to do a real good job on rope, duct tape, or zip ties. Handcuffs are usually used by the legitimate police and usually not by the bad guys.

That's the practical solution, but it doesn't allow him to market his novelty by claiming to go places he probably never does. You get searched by the Federales down there and they find something like this on you - and they will - then you're going to be in for a lot of questions. It's more trouble than it's worth, especially if he thinks American jails are bad.

Having seen quite a few homemade--and very functional--cuff keys inside prison and jail, this is really pretty unimpressive.

I will say, though, that if I ever see someone wearing a bracelet that even looks like this one, it's coming off prior to that person being put in my backseat.

Or.. *gasp* don't get arrested. Those who are responsible or even smart aren't going to be in a situation where they get cuffed and need to fucking escape... /eyeroll.

"Bad guys" with handcuffs.. oh so funny, internets. It's not like we don't know Mitnick is followed ravenously by the criminally minded nerd types, which is what this is geared toward.

As others said, good luck defeating rope with this...

He did not invent this by any means, it has been "on the radar" in law enforcement for a long time. We know to look for these things, as well as many other items that people think are crafty...

"I travel to South America, Mexico, Ecuador, Colombia and we have warnings from the State Department about kidnappings going on, especially in Caracas," he said. "If I'm kidnapped for some reason it would be great to be able to escape if they handcuff you. That's why I wear it to South America all the time."

Even better is that Caracas is in Venezuela.

That's just a survival strap with a different clasp. You can unravel the strap in an emergency and get 6' of paracord.

I wonder if this would be illegal anywhere?

Not to long ago I remember reading about a person arrested overseas for having handcuffs in their suitcase as having "police equipment" was illegal in that country. Can't remember the specifics but I wonder if a handcuff key would fall into the same catagory?

That's just a survival strap with a different clasp. You can unravel the strap in an emergency and get 6' of paracord.

Yep. Although cnet says it is a "geeky version of a thick woven hippie bracelet". Never mind that 2 different mfg's(at least) have been making these for the survival crowd for a while now.

I wonder if this would be illegal anywhere?

Not to long ago I remember reading about a person arrested overseas for having handcuffs in their suitcase as having "police equipment" was illegal in that country. Can't remember the specifics but I wonder if a handcuff key would fall into the same catagory?

I doubt having a key is illegal. Using it in a circumstance of say being arrested would be illegal, because you're trying to evade authority.

Like if a cop arrested you and found that you had this, all they would do is confiscate it.

One of the comments is hilarious.

This is why I use zip ties or duct tape when kidnapping security consultants.
Posted by SteveChicago (1309 comments )
January 5, 2012 8:30 AM (PST)

I read about this on CNET yesterday. That wasn't very smart of him to tip his hand. :p I'd think that cops will be leery about letting those they cuff keep their bracelets on.

And lose half your body in the process, or die from the concussive force...smart thinking there.

Back