Kendrak's Krazy SR-2 Knock About

I guess I'm just a guy that wants to have all my rigs in a case. I suppose once my kids get older and away from my equipment that I might be able to stomach naked folding :)

And Kendrak, whats your plan with your Z8NA now that you're moving your Xeons over to the SR-2?

It will be up for sale. Ill take pre-orders if anyone is interested. :D
It has been in a case (p180) and has been the most stable system I've ever owned. I ran -bigadv on the thing and didn't touch the box for over 2 months once.

This will probably go to my buy more folding equipment fund... or not yet started AR15 fund.

I guess I'm just a guy that wants to have all my rigs in a case. I suppose once my kids get older and away from my equipment that I might be able to stomach naked folding :)

I hear that. I have a 1 year old and a 3 year old. The nekkid rigs are in a closed off, unfinished portion of my basement (with video, sound, and USB cables running through the wall into my finished office :))

I hear that. I have a 1 year old and a 3 year old. The nekkid rigs are in a closed off, unfinished portion of my basement (with video, sound, and USB cables running through the wall into my finished office :))

My rigs are all in the unfinnished basement. Keeps 'em cool and when our little one gets a bit older (she is 6 week old) I don't have to worrie about little fingers in the equipment.

I've got a 5, 4 and 1 year old. The 5 and 4 year old aren't bad but the 1 year old is awful. She would have a naked folding rig dead in a minute flat if she was left alone with it...and I'm bad about shutting the door to my computer room because it gets hot in there when I'm folding and its closed.

You can find "deals" on Xeons from time to time. Just make sure you know what your buying and the limitations of chips that are not "retail".

Just make sure you buy CPUs with a decent multiplier. Getting over 200 BCLK on the SR-2 is proving to be pretty tricky and takes quite a bit of VTT and IOH voltage.

And Kendrak, whats your plan with your Z8NA now that you're moving your Xeons over to the SR-2?

You are not the only one as I refuse to fold naked. It just doesn't seem natural as it feels wierd leaving your computer components exposed. I suppose folding using a test bench would make it easier to dust it every now and then. If the SR2 is an E-ATX motherboard, I suppose any standard full size tower should be able to accomodate it like the HAF932.

well living in barbados does have the effect of nasty prices. cheapest i7 ( mobo+cpu+ram) around here would cost 750+ us :( so i don't even want imagine the server side cost here :(

find some one in the US willing to purchase and ship it to you.. probably be far cheaper even with the high shipping prices then to buy it locally..

well that still leave having to cash to spend on buying sr-2 problem :( . one day i get up there till then i pray for standford to release a good ati client ( like that going to ever happen :()

You are not the only one as I refuse to fold naked. It just doesn't seem natural as it feels wierd leaving your computer components exposed. I suppose folding using a test bench would make it easier to dust it every now and then.
C'mon you square....open your mind! :D
If the SR2 is an E-ATX motherboard,
it's not
I suppose any standard full size tower should be able to accomodate it like the HAF932.
most won't

C'mon you square....open your mind! :D it's not
most won't

Goodness, I thought that SR2 was an E-ATX motherboard only to see it as an HATX(whatever in the hell that is). I wonder what kind of case would fit that. I assumed it would be E-ATX since all of the dual Socket F and Socket G34 motherboards i've seen are E-ATX.

Goodness, I thought that SR2 was an E-ATX motherboard only to see it as an HATX(whatever in the hell that is). I wonder what kind of case would fit that. I assumed it would be E-ATX since all of the dual Socket F and Socket G34 motherboards i've seen are E-ATX.
yea its frickin huge, hence all the discussion about where people are gonna keep the thing

HPTX actually. It dwarfs E-ATX.

http://www.evga.com/articles/00537/

Your case options right now are either one of the bigger Mountain Mods or a Lian-Li PC-P80.

Piece of plywood makes an awesome motherboard tray, right Vaulter!!!!

When I was folding with my MSI K92A Platinum with 4 - 9800GX2, I put the motherboard in a wood cabinet in my garage.
Worked like a champ, plus I didn't see a point decrease for not using a case! :D:D

If it was me, I would mount it on a clamping shelf in my server rack. It seems to work pretty well for the atlasfolding guy.

Kendrak--check out the Middle Atlantic shelf I linked above. It looks to be the perfect size (17.38"W x 15.10"D) to fit the SR-2. Even if you don't put it in a rack, you might want to use that shelf as a stable base for the mobo.

True that, wood works wonders!!
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

I have an old rack case that holds an SSI EEB v3.0 form factor board (12 X 13), and it does not look like it will work. The 13.6w dimension is the killer for rack cases. I have the depth (the thing is something like 23" deep), but you end up with about 19" max width to hold the board and PSU.

Nice stuff! Can't wait to see how it OCs and how much PPD you get.

jeez you'll be the first member to join the SR-2 club. I can't play this folding cold war game. My Politburo (gf) will not approve any more upgrades comrade, even if it's for the good of the motherland!

edit: I also might have just bought an asus ul30vt-a1 laptop/netbook replacement so for the time being my computer budget for the month of june is shot :|

Last edited:
jeez you'll be the first member to join the SR-2 club. I can't play this folding cold war game. My Politburo (gf) will not approve any more upgrades comrade, even if it's for the good of the motherland!

edit: I also might have just bought an asus ul30vt-a1 laptop/netbook replacement so for the time being my computer budget for the month of june is shot :|

Had to google Politburo.

LOL

Well I'm selling my 920 (along with the rest of the rig) in a couple weeks to my cousin.

If anything I should still net out ~20k ppd more and I'll be saving 310 watts. It should be a jump for me, but not a skyrocket.

This does however leave wattage for me to grab a new GPU when the change arises.

OK, thats it. Kendrak, do you think if I just give one stick to each CPU I'll be able to run some numbers? I've got too much on my plate to get this rig up and running but I may be able to squeeze in enough time to just get some stock numbers until my other 6 gigs arrives.

Can't let you beat me lol

OK, thats it. Kendrak, do you think if I just give one stick to each CPU I'll be able to run some numbers? I've got too much on my plate to get this rig up and running but I may be able to squeeze in enough time to just get some stock numbers until my other 6 gigs arrives.

Can't let you beat me lol

It should run normal a3 WU just fine with 2 sticks.

Stock number we have, you need to take those E5530s to 3.4 or 3.6 and see what they can do. Getting to 4 or higher is going to take a fair bit of fine tuning if it can be done at all.

I'm Aiming for 3.6 as a base but I just dont have the time

So much for being the first at something, should have figured as much

Atleast both SR2 rigs for the horde will be from Ohio lol

I'm Aiming for 3.6 as a base but I just dont have the time

So much for being the first at something, should have figured as much

Atleast both SR2 rigs for the horde will be from Ohio lol

If those hex core Xeons wern't so insanely expensive, think of the kind of production you guys could be getting from your new SR2's! Does Intel bother to lock the multipliers on those Xeons? Or will you have to use the bus speed to overclock?

Still, I can't wait to see what you Ohioans will do for the Horde. I didn't even realize you lived in this state.

dont you remember I was down near you for some training in Cinci, first time I ever went to a MC lol

dont you remember I was down near you for some training in Cinci, first time I ever went to a MC lol

I thought you only came by to visit due to your training and thus you lived out of state! Micro Center seems to have jacked up their prices lately on everything except for cpu's. Either way, I hope you at least went to Montgomery Inn for ribs before you left.

Missed out on that, but may be making another run to Nashville late this year, gonna have to hit it up on the way thru

Now if only I can get Skynet to POST before Kendrak I'll have the first SR2 rig lol

Missed out on that, but may be making another run to Nashville late this year, gonna have to hit it up on the way thru

Now if only I can get Skynet to POST before Kendrak I'll have the first SR2 rig lol

I am so disappointed in you. No trip to Cincinnati is complete unless you have tried some of the best ribs in the world. You could order it through mail though and it will arrive next day in a cooler filled with dry ice.

Do you know what today is?

That's rite, SR-2 day! It's out for delivery :D

:D

Looking forward to some pics. Do you have all of your other parts? Will you start building? Christmas in June. Whoda thunk :D :D

:D

Looking forward to some pics. Do you have all of your other parts? Will you start building? Christmas in June. Whoda thunk :D :D

Since I'm swapping one mobo for another I should have everything I need, sans a case ;)

I'm going to put a full 12gb of RAM in it and will eventualy have both procs under H50s

hmm. did I say I was jealous...well I forgot. I AM JEALOUS :D

I am so disappointed in you. No trip to Cincinnati is complete unless you have tried some of the best ribs in the world. You could order it through mail though and it will arrive next day in a cooler filled with dry ice.
Kansas City disagrees with you

Kendrak ---

please do not BBQ your new MB or CPUs.

no.

As any true midwestern BBQ fan knows, you need more than chili powder to make good BBQ

Can't wait to see you get some pictures up! I have to stop comming into the DC forum..

Everytime I come in someone has something new and it makes me sad that I can't net over 20K with 6 freakin cores @ 4.1Ghz (no turbo) and 2 GPU clients:confused:.

Can't wait to see you get some pictures up! I have to stop comming into the DC forum..

Everytime I come in someone has something new and it makes me sad that I can't net over 20K with 6 freakin cores @ 4.1Ghz (no turbo) and 2 GPU clients:confused:.

Throw a GTX480 in there and you'll be making big points in no time :)

Kansas City disagrees with you

Their website is http://www.montgomeryinn.com

Try some and I think you'll agree that ribs don't get better than this. Those ribs are so good, people from around the world order them online. I used to think Detroit was always known for bbq, but who even lives in Detroit anymore? I hear they can't even give away property because the city has died completely. Seriously, Montgomery Inn ribs are so good, you'll wonder how made it through life without trying these ribs from the pigs of deity.

Back