Keep my PSUs or toss them?

narsbars

2[H]4U
I was building a new rig after 4 years and pulled out a Corsair CX750M, Rosewill 850-E, and a Raidmax 850-AE. Over the years these were pulled from PCs all in working condition and with little usage.
The problem is Cables were pulled out and mixed, now I am not sure what to use where and don't want to fry a new X570 and 3800X.
I used the Raidmax as a test and the unit boots to bios but I had to use an old non powered video card as the PCI-E for a newer video card was missing. I have a cable or more than one in a box but not sure how to go about finding a new cable.
Should I just junk them all and start over?

I know you can still buy replacements for the cx750m, wouldn't be surprised if you could find others. 4 years old, I would toss them. If you want to though, let me know how much shipping would be ;).

Ps. You can easily look up the specs on the pcie/mb/sata connectors and take a volt meter and check you are getting proper voltages at proper pins if you're worries about getting them crossed.

the corsair cables should all have some kind of labeling such as "type 4" or something similar. I would check the other cables and see if they have something different.

the corsair cables should all have some kind of labeling such as "type 4" or something similar. I would check the other cables and see if they have something different.
No markings even on the fixed on modular cables. I found the voltage pin outs and tediously connect cables to each of the multiple PSUs I have found. While digging came up with another one an 850 Thermaltake.

I know you can still buy replacements for the cx750m, wouldn't be surprised if you could find others. 4 years old, I would toss them. If you want to though, let me know how much shipping would be ;).

Ps. You can easily look up the specs on the pcie/mb/sata connectors and take a volt meter and check you are getting proper voltages at proper pins if you're worries about getting them crossed.
Just found an 850 Thermaltake. I am considering your offer.

Sounds good, fully modular? 850w should be pretty good for anything right now and Thermaltakes are pretty decent. If you decide to offload them, PM me before you do. I have 6 desktops here, one for each family member plus one for my sons friend that got kicked out of his house recently. At least 1 of them has really bad coil whine and another calls itself an 850w but it shuts down if I put my 280x (~250w) on it, and that's with a G4560, so not much other load. I ended up swaping that one out with an RX560 just so it doesn't shut down when you launch a game. I am always looking for deals even if I have to put some work into it!

Sounds good, fully modular? 850w should be pretty good for anything right now and Thermaltakes are pretty decent. If you decide to offload them, PM me before you do. I have 6 desktops here, one for each family member plus one for my sons friend that got kicked out of his house recently. At least 1 of them has really bad coil whine and another calls itself an 850w but it shuts down if I put my 280x (~250w) on it, and that's with a G4560, so not much other load. I ended up swaping that one out with an RX560 just so it doesn't shut down when you launch a game. I am always looking for deals even if I have to put some work into it!
Let you know on Sunday.

Thanks. I pulled up the specs and will be doing some tedious VOM testing tomorrow. They all have to match at the device end😀

Tested out the first unit, a Raidmax AE 850 Gold. An old unit but has been in temp controlled storage for 6 or 7 years best I can tell. I checked and it is an old unit circa 2011 to 2013. I bought it at the H and never used it.
Thanks to Ready4dis I pulled out my VOM an d figure I can get at least a couple of them complete.

Raidmax PSUs are IEDs. Best toss it in a trash compactor before it destroys something important.

Raidmax PSUs are IEDs. Best toss it in a trash compactor before it destroys something important.
Yeah.... I am going to put it in the FREE listings for shipping if another poster here doesn't want it.
I was being too cheap and hanging on to it.

Always good to have an extra PSU laying around. I just finished swapping my kid's rig out from his very vintage PC P&C Silencer 510 because it didn't have enough power for GPU.

Yeah, I just bought a used PSU locally to finish building a neighbors kid a PC (I actually kept that PSU and gave him one of my old ones, but it has some coil whine so I wonder how long it'll last).... long story, but he was in need, he's also staying at my house at the moment (yay, lol). So, now I have no available backup PSU (and actually just hit an issue with my wifes PC that I need a PSU with 2 8-pins GPU connectors... her current PSU has 1 8-pin and 2 6-pin, lol).

Edit: Just swapped the one from my wifes PC to my daughters PC, 3d printed a grill for the PSU so no wires get sucked into the fan (it was pulling fresh air from a filter before so no grill)... I'm getting by with what I have for now, lol. Luckily one card (280x) uses 8-pin + 6-pin and the nitro fury uses 2 8-pins, so after a bit of fenagling I was able to get them both together. Hopefully the plastic from the 3d print holds up to the heat well enough.

Last edited:
Agree with tool_462.. I always keep an assortment of build components around for troubleshooting.

Its that time of year for me. Ive gone through 8 or 9 psus in the last 5 months. Sold off a bunch of my back up rigs then had to replace several dead ones for people. Im down to my last 3 (all in current systems). With supply being as poor as it has been lately itll be awhile before i get another back up psu.

Back