Keep 7950 or sell for 680 gtx?

Overspeed

Limp Gawd
So about a week ago I bought an XFX 7950 Double D graphics card. A week later NVidia releases the 680gtx. I'm not sure what to do... sell my 7950 back to the retailer and wait for the 680 gtx's to come back in stock or keep what I have. I paid $469 for the XFX 7950 DD and the new 680's are going for $499 to $529. Is the XFX 7950 good enough? I know the 680's are faster and almost the same price but is it really worth waiting? Also even if the 680's are back in stock soon should I be waiting for the non reference boards with better cooling and design? From what peeps tell me now is that the 680 drivers suck and many games have artifacts.

Thoughts?

Keep you card, I have two DD's a @ 1030/1465..they tear up BF3 at ultra preset, I'm very happy with my cards. I did have both of them for sale but changed my mind after the 7990 wasn't going to be released soon.

Keep it!! 680s wont be in stock for awhile. If your really needing more performance OC that thing!! Depending on your card it oc very well. Give it a shot its super easy.

Like SKL1 said these things perform like crazy in xfire. BF3 ultra runs awesome.

The only reason I'm selling my 7950 is because I was able to snag a 680 on launch day. Paid $480 and for $20 more the 680 is worth it. First NV card I've owned since the 8800GT days.

Buy a second 7950 and run those babies OC in CFX and you will forget all about nvidia!

Buy a second 7950 and run those babies OC in CFX and you will forget all about nvidia!

Yeah, don't spend $20 more for a better card, spend $450 more!

OP, if the retailer will take it back, its definitely worth the $20 to upgrade.

If I were in your position I'd return the 7950 and run on integrated graphics if I had to until I could get my hands on a GTX 680. It's the top of the line and it still has a better price/performance ratio. Worst case scenario you can pick the 7950 back up after a price drop.

Maybe I'm missing something but can't you just keep the card until 680s come back in stock and then return it?

If you're enjoying the card, features and drivers, keep it as performance isn't that big between them. Why fix something that isn't broken.

If you're enjoying the card, features and drivers, keep it as performance isn't that big between them. Why fix something that isn't broken.

unless you can spend less than $50 on this exchange it's not worth it. the way games have been released in the past few years this card will allow you to play every game maxed at 1080p or higher (depending on monitor) for the next three+ years with all eye candy. card is beastly even at stock clocks.

If you have a cheapy card you can use in the mean time go for the 680. I am sure you can have one at your door in 2-3 weeks tops.

Overclock that 7950! From what I've seen, 680s can't overclock as well as 79xx cards, so performance wise you wouldn't be gaining much. At best, you'll gain a few frames but that's not going to make an unplayable game playable... so what's the point? Unless you must absolutely have the latest and greatest I'm not seeing much of a reason to switch.

You have one of the best models out right now. You didn't even mention your monitor setup so you're probably doing just fine.

I will answer a few questions...

I have not opened the 7950 box, so its brand new and ununsed.
I'm running a Corsair AX650 PSU so i'm not sure if Xfire is an option.
My rig is Asus Z68-V Pro Gen3 running a 2700K so I have integrated graphics
The retailer I bought the 7950 from will only take it back if I ship it within a week.
I have a Dell U2410 running at 1920x1200

So the consensus seems to be, a $20 upgrade is worth it. Does anyone have any feelings about reference vs. non-referece boards? Single vs. multi fan coolers? Waiting until the boards have matured so they work the bugs out? These are some of the things other have warned me about.

The retailer I bought the 7950 from will only take it back if I ship it within a week.

So the consensus seems to be, a $20 upgrade is worth it. Does anyone have any feelings about reference vs. non-referece boards? Single vs. multi fan coolers? Waiting until the boards have matured so they work the bugs out? These are some of the things other have warned me about.

The reference 680's in the reviews seem to do just fine in cooling/temperature tests. Sure, coolers like MSI's Twin Frozr are better, but you wait longer, and pay more for them.

Definitely return the 7950. clearly overpriced when you look at the 680. All the 680s being sold right now are exactly the same so you don't have to worry about vendor/cooler/etc. Pretty soon there will be after market coolers and factory overclocked cards if you want even more performance. Although at stock it already tops the 7970.

I sent my 7950 back to the retailer and ordered a 680.

The 7950 is a great card but the 680 is just better for a little more.

Considering that it's UNOPENED, definitely return it! You would only be charged a restocking fee at most, depending on the retailer. Why settle when you can get a card for practically the same price with far better performance?

its pretty clear, return the 7950....

maybe if you had a 7970, MAYBE but still no. $20 bucks more for the fastest single gpu? seems like a no brainer to me

its pretty clear, return the 7950....

maybe if you had a 7970, MAYBE but still no. $20 bucks more for the fastest single gpu? seems like a no brainer to me

this!

4% price difference shouldn't stop you from getting 30% more performance and 200% better driver support.

I'd probably echo what's being said here, especially given that you game on a 1200p display. According to tests I've seen, the 680 is going to be definitively faster than you 7950 at that res, unless you come across a very limited number of games that just happen to favor AMD cards.

If you have to pay for restocking then I would not trade in the 7950, but if not then get the 680. Just remember that a 7950 clock for clock performs about 3-5% less than a 7970. 7950's overclock very well on average, generally far exceeding stock 7970 speeds and should easily match or even beat a 680 in a good portion of games if you are willing to put in the effort to OC some. If you do not OC, then get the 680 as it performs better at stock.

Unopened, hell ya send it back as long as no restocking fee.

I'd send it back and hold off a month till some of the improved GTX680s come out or see if the HD7950 prices comes down. I thought the price of the HD7950 would be below $400 by now.

Another month will also give AMD time improve their drivers. AMD drivers look broke.

Last edited:
So about a week ago I bought an XFX 7950 Double D graphics card. A week later NVidia releases the 680gtx. I'm not sure what to do... sell my 7950 back to the retailer and wait for the 680 gtx's to come back in stock or keep what I have. I paid $469 for the XFX 7950 DD and the new 680's are going for $499 to $529. Is the XFX 7950 good enough? I know the 680's are faster and almost the same price but is it really worth waiting? Also even if the 680's are back in stock soon should I be waiting for the non reference boards with better cooling and design? From what peeps tell me now is that the 680 drivers suck and many games have artifacts.

Thoughts?

You are in a situation where you can get the GTX 680 if you desire. There is nothing wrong with the XFX 7950. But if you can get a good amount refuned ( I don't know the restocking fee or even if they do a restocking free ) and want to get the GTX 680 go for it.

There is also another solution. If you're not a person obsessed with benchmark numbers and just want to sit down and play a game at acceptable levels (whatever your acceptable level for gaming that is) with your 7950 stick with it. Once again you should buy a product that meets your needs. If it doesn't, get rid of it and get something better.

Drivers improve with time. You will never get the perfect driver at release day. It will take months to get any significant performance out of your brandnew hardware.

I have both the eVGA GTX 680 and a Sapphire 7950 975/1575 and I don't see any difference in real world gaming. I do notice that the AMD card has better IQ in general (better color reproduction, sharper text and better quality video on YouTube).
Edit: I play on a Dell U2711 @ 2560 x 1440.

I have both the eVGA GTX 680 and a Sapphire 7950 975/1575 and I don't see any difference in real world gaming. I do notice that the AMD card has better IQ in general (better color reproduction, sharper text and better quality video on YouTube).
Edit: I play on a Dell U2711 @ 2560 x 1440.

"Phenom II X6 1090T -Asus Crosshair IV Mobo - 8GB ddr3 G. Skill RipJaws - Sapphire Radeon 7970 3GB - 1TB+640GB WD drives - Sondblaster X-Fi Titanium Fatality Champion Series - Razer Lycosa keyboard - Razer Imperator BF3 Edition - 3 x 1 Dell p2310h Eyefinity @ 6048x1080, Dell U2711 2560x1440 "

I think you are bullshiting. From your sig, you have 7970 not 7950.
Everywhere else showed that GTX 680 beat 7970 by 15~25%, and 7950 is much worse than 7970. I would definitely give HardOCP/Anandtech much more credit than you are. BTW, GTX 680 has at least the same image quality as 7970 if not better.

"Phenom II X6 1090T -Asus Crosshair IV Mobo - 8GB ddr3 G. Skill RipJaws - Sapphire Radeon 7970 3GB - 1TB+640GB WD drives - Sondblaster X-Fi Titanium Fatality Champion Series - Razer Lycosa keyboard - Razer Imperator BF3 Edition - 3 x 1 Dell p2310h Eyefinity @ 6048x1080, Dell U2711 2560x1440 "

I think you are bullshiting. From your sig, you have 7970 not 7950.
Everywhere else showed that GTX 680 beat 7970 by 15~25%, and 7950 is much worse than 7970. I would definitely give HardOCP/Anandtech much more credit than you are. BTW, GTX 680 has at least the same image quality as 7970 if not better.
Old sig. I returned the 7970 because it stopped working after a week and got a 7950.

I moved from the XFX DD 7950 to the Evga 680 and am very happy with the move.

Definitely worth the money IMO. Performance is better and in several games the change is noticeable.

Use the latest drivers and not the ones on the CD. I am using the latest from Evga's site.

Played several hours of BF3 at 1080 with ultra settings and it seldomly dropped below 60 fps. Zero issues with DCS A10, in fact it is a noticeable improvement over the 7950.

Good luck with your choice.

Last edited:
I had a 7950, took it back minus a 25 restocking
now im running the i7 IGP in wait for a 680GTX.

so id suggest doing the same

the on cpu video isnt that bad, ive actually been playing battlefield 3 at medium
running 720p. its really really not bad.
having said that, i cant wait till the 680s are in stock ;)

yeah, sorry this post is a month old. I've been using my 680gtx for 3 weeks and lovin it!

The only way i would go with the gtx 680 is if you didnt overclock at all,otherwize clock for clock there is only a 5% difference between them in performance no use getting a gtx 680 in that situation.Keep in mind also the 7950 has 1 gb more vram might not be a big deal now but could be in the near future with games hogging more and more vram all the time

this!

4% price difference shouldn't stop you from getting 30% more performance and 200% better driver support.

Wrong 7950 can overclock just as high as a gtx 680 so your 30% performance is now under 5% clock for clock.If he doesnt overclock then no doubt the 680

Keep what you got instead of chasing phantoms. Overpriced phantoms at that - card should be $400 max and they are getting $600 from fools on ebay.

Wrong 7950 can overclock just as high as a gtx 680 so your 30% performance is now under 5% clock for clock.If he doesnt overclock then no doubt the 680

From the reviews the GTX 680 doesn't overclock well no?

Back