Kdenlive Video Editor now has a Windows Version

cageymaru

Fully [H]
Usually you hear about applications that transition from Windows to Linux. But the developers of Kdenlive have flipped this development cycle on its head with the recent release of a Windows version in addition to the already well received Linux version. Kdenlive is non-linear video editor that features a multi-track timeline, effects and transitions. It has tools such as histograms, audio meters, waveforms, vectorscopes and more. Seems like a capable video editor for those that might want to spice up the video from the family vacation or some game footage. BetaNews has instructions for installing the FFmpeg plugins required to get the editor to run and the official Kdenlive website has a manual and more to help with your editing needs. The newest version is 16.12.3, but it hasn't been ported to Windows just yet as the development team seems to be squashing bugs still.

We grabbed a copy. There's no installation required, just unzip and run Kdenlive.exe. Except, well, that didn't work. The program requires FFmpeg to import and export media, and that's not included by default. We dragged, dropped and organized some clips, and applied a few effects. There were some minor issues, but overall it did well for such an early build, and if you're interested in video editing it's worth a closer look.

Hmm. I've looked for video editing tools on Linux before, but never come across this one. Might have to give it a try!

Back years ago when I was using Linux as my main desktop, Kdenlive was the best editor by far that I could find at the time. Looking forward to trying this out. I could never get audio working well in Linux among other issues like library version hell (programs I needed wanted various specific version of libraries and such), so I eventually switched back. Maybe Kdenlive will be a decent free alternative to Vegas Movie Studio that I use now (was made by Sony, but now owned by Magix).

Microsoft moviemaker still works just fine for a free and easy video editor for those who have no clue to the hard core depth of things like Blender which is awesome.

Maybe Kdenlive will be a decent free alternative to Vegas Movie Studio that I use now (was made by Sony, but now owned by Magix).

Been using Movie Studio for several years now (maybe since version 9 I think). I do like it a lot and it offers MOST of what you need if you are just looking to do "amateur" videos. I have the Adobe Creative Suite, but I still fire up Movie Studio just because I know how to do stuff in it and feel comfortable. Green screen, Dolby Digital 5.1 mixing and ouput, basic filters, it offers a lot.

Also if you get the Steam version of Sony Movie Studio, it allows you to open it on any computer...as opposed to the normal version that requires registration and serial numbers and all that. Even if your computer doesn't have internet access, you can just run Steam in offline mode and Movie Studio will open right up.

Hmm. I've looked for video editing tools on Linux before, but never come across this one. Might have to give it a try!

This is good stuff to know....this was one of my concerns about Linux, was a good NLE editor. And of course it not be something akin to learning Gimp.

Does this actually work properly for you?

I can transcode videos, but can't load any into the editor, because they are "invalid". Even the ones I just transcoded.
Based on what I read these are silly little issues easily solved by installing packages, if you use Linux. I couldn't find much help in relation to Windows though.

As usual, stuff related to Linux is cryptic and I would have to resort to trial and error which I'm way to tired for.

upload_2017-3-21_20-21-58.png

This is good stuff to know....this was one of my concerns about Linux, was a good NLE editor. And of course it not be something akin to learning Gimp.

Gimp seems really easy to learn for me. It makes sense but maybe because I gave it time and had lots of free tutorials and learning items? I'm trying to take what I know about that and use Photoshop CS6 and sometimes it's frustrating until no end!

I've tried to use Kdenlive off and on for years in Linux. IT has great potential and a great feature set but each time finding it to buggy to rely on. :(

Back