kb/mouse for ps3

doox00

2[H]4U
I know UT or something like that at one point supported kb/mouse on ps3, any other fps support kb and mouse use on the ps3? I am one of those people who cannot use a controller for fps.. Would be nice if 360 and ps3 would just start supporting mouse/kb setups.

No other game officially supports kb/mouse. It started and died with UT3.

It would be terrible if either console supported kb/mouse in more games. Part of the joy of console gaming is chilling on the couch with a controller. I don't want a big ass keyboard and a mousing surface to screw that up.

It would be terrible if either console supported kb/mouse in more games. Part of the joy of console gaming is chilling on the couch with a controller. I don't want a big ass keyboard and a mousing surface to screw that up.

they make mini keyboards and optimal mice work great on couch fabric, but you could use a lapboard to make it more comfortable if that wasn't enough.
however, UT3 made mouse/KB optional and even allowed server rules to keep gamepad players separate for obvious reasons.
i would love to see more console games grant the ability to utilize mouse/KB.

does your line of thought include racing wheels and rock band instruments?

^ well allowing an option for it doesn't mean you HAVE to use it.

exactly, I would buy and play sooo many more games on my ps3 and 360 if they would just start supporting this option.. ohh well.. maybe next gen, not holding my breath though.

I remember some kind of device being sold so you could use KB/Mouse with the ps3 in any game, but I forget what it was called.

I remember some kind of device being sold so you could use KB/Mouse with the ps3 in any game, but I forget what it was called.

Sony killed a few of these devices in a recent firmware update, so I wouldn't consider the future of these devices to be bright.

I know UT or something like that at one point supported kb/mouse on ps3, any other fps support kb and mouse use on the ps3? I am one of those people who cannot use a controller for fps.. Would be nice if 360 and ps3 would just start supporting mouse/kb setups.

Nothing is officially supported outside of UT3. It's just one of the downsides to using a PS3 or 360 for gaming.

I did run across one of these. I've read mixed reviews on them but do plan on trying one out when blackops is released. It's not a full keyboard and mouse setup, but at least the mouse is there. Let me know how you like it if you decide to try it.

I would not go kb mouse route anyway until its supported by either console, not 'hack' kinda setup.. considering how popular fps is on console you would think they would start supporting this kind of setup, although I suppose its just a small percentage of people like me who just can't do the controller thing for these games and not worth it to them to start supporting it.

The thing about a KB/M on a console is that if more games supported it, you'd find yourself essentially being forced to use it in multiplayer. While I'm sure someone like T-Squared would do fine with a pad, in general the people using mice are going to be able to aim better/faster. Even if you do like hanging out on your couch with a pad, if you go online you're either going to be a wizard, or you're going to take a pounding.
I kinda like everyone being on even footing.

Nothing is officially supported outside of UT3. It's just one of the downsides to using a PS3 or 360 for gaming.

I did run across one of these. I've read mixed reviews on them but do plan on trying one out when blackops is released. It's not a full keyboard and mouse setup, but at least the mouse is there. Let me know how you like it if you decide to try it.

Those controllers look pretty nice, wonder how well they work, lag/smooth etc. that may be an option for me.

I would not go kb mouse route anyway until its supported by either console, not 'hack' kinda setup.. considering how popular fps is on console you would think they would start supporting this kind of setup, although I suppose its just a small percentage of people like me who just can't do the controller thing for these games and not worth it to them to start supporting it.

Have you considered that one is the reason FPS is so popular on consoles is *because* they all share a common hardware and controllers so that everyone is on equal ground?

The thing about a KB/M on a console is that if more games supported it, you'd find yourself essentially being forced to use it in multiplayer. While I'm sure someone like T-Squared would do fine with a pad, in general the people using mice are going to be able to aim better/faster. Even if you do like hanging out on your couch with a pad, if you go online you're either going to be a wizard, or you're going to take a pounding.
I kinda like everyone being on even footing.

Have game modes, mixed setups, pad only and kb/mouse only.

Have you considered that one is the reason FPS is so popular on consoles is *because* they all share a common hardware and controllers so that everyone is on equal ground?

no, because fps was and still is just as popular on pc, fps is just a popular game genre, its not popular because everyone is using same hardware.

no, because fps was and still is just as popular on pc, fps is just a popular game genre, its not popular because everyone is using same hardware.

not so much true anymore look at MW2 it sold more copies on the 360 than it did on the PC by a long shot. Arguably this could be because of a lot of factors but I am sure the convenience of a console is one of them.

Have game modes, mixed setups, pad only and kb/mouse only.

Segregating the player-base into haves and have-not's is counter productive to a lot of what has made console online gaming successful though. People just enjoy jumping into a game and playing. Look at sales figures for MW2 for example. People bought this game a on consoles a lot more than the PC. Sony and MS don't want a bunch of people using different controllers, and game developers don't want to waste time including stuff like this to make sure that only the mouse people play with other mouse people and having two sets of controls to tweak (and presumably people would then want full custom keyboard mapping). Plus Sony and MS don't want to pickup a game and go "Yeah this might be fun, but I don't have a PS3 keyboard and mouse for my couch yet..."

The last good console game to work with a mouse was Mario Paint :p

Last edited:
To clear this up the only users that are against having mouse and keyboard on console is the FPS crowd on the console side.

As stated earlier, what are your thoughts on users having fighting sticks in fighting games? Should players with racing wheels be shunned as well because they can downshift from 6 to 4th in one motion?

If your Looking to use a keyboard and mouse in any game on the PS3 look into making a XIM. It’s the most configurable option out there. I just made mine and I'm loving it.

To clear this up the only users that are against having mouse and keyboard on console is the FPS crowd on the console side.

As stated earlier, what are your thoughts on users having fighting sticks in fighting games? Should players with racing wheels be shunned as well because they can downshift from 6 to 4th in one motion?

That is because we like even playing fields as stated before...

I know this sounds crazy but there is this world where you are allowed to use whatever gaming peripheral your heart desires and it's called PC gaming. Why not just simply stick to that if you can not get over the limitations of a controller on consoles?

I see what you're saying but arcade sticks and/or racing wheels don't really offer any real advantage over a standard controller. A mouse on the other hand offers far more precision than a thumb stick ever could. I'd like to use a mouse and KB on my PS3 or 360, but I can certainly see why they'd choose not to support it.

There would be an enormous amount of people crying about it.

That is because we like even playing fields as stated before...

I know this sounds crazy but there is this world where you are allowed to use whatever gaming peripheral your heart desires and it's called PC gaming. Why not just simply stick to that if you can not get over the limitations of a controller on consoles?

Because "exclusives" exist? If I can't play Uncharted 1 or 2 on the PC, then I'm left with the PS3. If I had the choice to run with M&KB over controller, I would.

I see what you're saying but arcade sticks and/or racing wheels don't really offer any real advantage over a standard controller. A mouse on the other hand offers far more precision than a thumb stick ever could. I'd like to use a mouse and KB on my PS3 or 360, but I can certainly see why they'd choose not to support it.

Actually arcade sticks do give a huge advantage over controllers. Much better precision/speed when it comes to doing motions/movements.

In the case of a mouse, it provides an actual hardware advantage over a thumbstick. There's literally no way to move your crosshair or look as quickly with a stick. Some people can do a fine job with it and their other skills can make up for the lack of precision speed aiming. Still, even they’ll tell you that they’re at an absolute disadvantage just because of the hardware at hand.
In the case of a fighting stick – it’s just a matter of using your wrist vs. your thumb. There’s no advantage built into the hardware. There’s nothing a stick can do that a d-pad can’t. In fact, the dead zones and greater distance to move things can theoretically give the pad an advantage. We see high level players usually using sticks because they're arcade based.
With driving games, it would only be a software limitation that isn’t letting you skip gears…in which case a double tap should actually make up for the added time to move your wrist from one gear to the other.
I know it’s probably not what anyone wants to hear, but I honestly think that the old KB/M control scheme might be dying. There’s a whole generation that has grown up knowing ONLY analog controls and think the PC is only for MMO’s and Starcraft.

not so much true anymore look at MW2 it sold more copies on the 360 than it did on the PC by a long shot. Arguably this could be because of a lot of factors but I am sure the convenience of a console is one of them.

Of course it would sell more copies, there are a ton more console gamers out there then pc gamers nowadays.

Actually arcade sticks do give a huge advantage over controllers. Much better precision/speed when it comes to doing motions/movements.

I'm sure a lot of people do prefer using arcade sticks, but I wouldn't say that they make you any faster or more precise than someone using a D-Pad on a controller. If anything, I'd assume just the opposite (because of the long throw on an arcade stick)

Arcade sticks are popular because the fighting game scene came from the arcades and for years that's where the best players developed from. Until very recently it's how the tournaments were held, too.
Hardware-wise you can actually take a 360 controller apart and put the button switches inside an arcade stick for 1 to 1 mapping. It's the same stuff and speed (thumb vs. wrist), just a different mechanism.

Sure they would, but they could just buy one too. There are so many variables it would be silly to complain. Some people have faster internet. Some people have bigger TV's. Some people have HD. Some people have surround sound. Some people have aftermarket controllers that can be set to auto fire a button, etc. Its never exactly the same.

wow that eagle eye looks badass, ordering one :) Hope with a ps3 firmware update it won't kill it in anyway.

Yes, but there is a controller I saw just yesterday on a website that maps the gamepad controls to a mouse and mini keyboard like gizmo so it doesn't matter if the game supports it or not if you get one of those. Can't remember where I saw that device now or else I would post a link to it.

Does the Splitfish Gameware P3FRAGFX2SE Fragfx V.2 Controller still work? I been thinking about it. But when the move gets a little more support I dont think it will be needed. The killzone 3 video with move looks preety good.

i have no experience with the eagle eye - but ive been using my xim [ps3] and xim360 [duh] for years now and they are both perfect

resistance 1 and 2 / gears 2 / killzone 2 / halo 3, osdt, reach / etc - the list goes on and on of the fps games ive played with kb and mouse on my consoles

again, i have no clue about the eagle eye - looks cool - but if you are really interested in kb/m on your console - look no further than here

*edit*

the reason xim is better than all the rest, it uses both the sony and microsoft controllers as the point of reference - even though you are using m and kb you are using them through the actual controller - so they cannot be banned or blacklisted or wiped out by any console update

the console sees the controller and the controller only...

Does the Splitfish Gameware P3FRAGFX2SE Fragfx V.2 Controller still work? I been thinking about it. But when the move gets a little more support I dont think it will be needed. The killzone 3 video with move looks preety good.

Supposedly. Splitfish claims they can update their controller firmware to continue working with the current PS3 firmware.

The only exception they have is that they will not update the firmware for the FragFX V1 so that controller is pretty much useless now.

if you want a keyboard and mouse for ps3, check out the forums at www.xim360.com and look at the ps3 section. You can use their device along with a xbox to ps adapter. Many adapters don't work anymore with the new ps3 firmware, so make sure you read the forums and find the right one. These things are expensive though, $170 prebuilt plus the cost of a xbox to ps adapter.

Last edited:
if you want a keyboard and mouse for ps3, check out the forums at www.wim360.com and look at the ps3 section. You can use their device along with a xbox to ps adapter. Many adapters don't work anymore with the new ps3 firmware, so make sure you read the forums and find the right one. These things are expensive though, $170 prebuilt plus the cost of a xbox to ps adapter.

im guessing you meant xim360.com - like i linked to earlier

cause wim360.com points to wide immersive media

see my post above for a link to the xim360 site :)

I can't believe that Microsoft or Sony hasn't released a proprietary KB/M controller for their systems, advertised that it would make you a much better player, and limited/eliminated third party support of similar devices via mass bannings. It would be a "must have" accessory. They could charge an arm and a leg and make a lot of extra money.

I can't believe that Microsoft or Sony hasn't released a proprietary KB/M controller for their systems, advertised that it would make you a much better player, and limited/eliminated third party support of similar devices via mass bannings. It would be a "must have" accessory. They could charge an arm and a leg and make a lot of extra money.

huge facepalm on this one. they want to move consoles and games with an even playing field an accessibility, not sell people a kb/mouse and tell everyone else 'you suck if you don't have this'.
Posted via [H] Mobile Device

im guessing you meant xim360.com - like i linked to earlier

cause wim360.com points to wide immersive media

see my post above for a link to the xim360 site :)

thanks for catching that. Yeah, I meant the www.xim360.com

I use an XIM2 for the 360 and I love it to death. Best $150 I ever spent! I get chewed out by people for using it, but I don't care. I would PC game, but my friends can't afford gaming pc's. I bought my friend a gaming comp, but because only me and him had gaming rigs, it didn't work out.

XIM and XIM2 are the way to go for KB/M on consoles. I love my XIM2 on the 360. I'm super excited for the XIM3 which should be out January-ish. Eliminates the need for a computer hooked up all the time and the smart profiles are just awesome. Smart profiles mean the mouse has a damn near 1:1 movement mapping with the game. Right now you can get close with a lot of tweaking, but smart profiles will mean (for the games that have smart profiles) literal plug and play. Also, the expected cost of the XIM3 will be less than the XIM2 (My guess is between $100 and $150).

The reason XIM is far superior to other products is how it works. For the XIM2 it electrically manipulates the controller itself, therefore it is undetectable and will never be banned. XIM3 simply generates USB inputs that the controller would send but it doesn't stop the two way communication of the controller and the 360. The XIM3 has a higher probability of detection, but it also is near zero.

The reason other solutions fail is that they only use the controller for the handshake. Once the handshake is complete you can unplug the 360 controller and still play. That meant MS was able to send challenge responses to the controller and because the correct responses were not received, they were able to detect things like the XFPS. XIM3 is immune to that attack because the controller talks freely with the 360, all it does is send movement data to the 360. It does not attempt to handle handshakes or anything else the 360 asks of the controller. If you unplug the 360 controller from the XIM3, the XIM3 will shutdown the link to the 360.

Probability of detecting a XIM2 - Zero
Probability of detecting a XIM3 - Near Zero (Unless MS figures out a way to detect the movement data as false)

The XFPS units will continue to be banned as long as they keep trying to emulate the controller instead of manipulate the controller.

I would expect wide availability of the XIM3 in the spring/early summer.

Last edited:
Back