Kaveri in stock

I noticed that as well. It's a new MB platform, so I'm sure I'll be fine. I'll post back when I have the time to build it over the weekend.

UPDATE: I just checked the Asus website for the A8XM-A & it's supports the 7850K out of the box.

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/A88XMA/#support
Looks like the 7850k needs the 1003 bios which shows a date of 2014.01.03
I doubt that a bios that new would be on the board.

Looks like the 7850k needs the 1003 bios which shows a date of 2014.01.03
I doubt that a bios that new would be on the board.

My Asus MB has the 1003 BIOS right on the box! Building it over the weekend & will follow-up.

Are these Kaveri's better than my discrete 8800GT on an E6750? My game computer is in need of an upgrade. Wonder if this solution would work for *casual* gaming.
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7677/amd-kaveri-review-a8-7600-a10-7850k/12

graphics i think are probably roughly the same. The a10-7850 seems to be roughly 2/3 the performance of an amd 6750 discrete video card which is identical to an amd 5750.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/2856/5

the 8800gt seems to be anywhere between 40% to 90% the performance of the 5750. So the graphics are in the same ballpark i think.

Anybody know anything about that Gigabyte board? That's one of the ones I was thinking of getting for my HTPC build. Was thinking of either that or the Asus A88XM-PLUS/CSM.

Before I had read about the Kaveri back in the summer time, I went with an Athlon X4 750k and a Radeon 7790 for my HTPC. This combo cost me about $175, which is less than the retail for the 7850k. Processing wise, I believe that 750k is about on par with the 7850k in real world use (it has a slightly lower clock speed, but can be overclocked easily, and of course doesn't include any HSA and such since it is not an APU), and the graphics card is far better, not to mention it's pretty cool and quiet (it's the MSI version). I was looking forward to Kaveri potentially replacing this combo, but I think I was far off in my imagining what this APU would be capable of.

At around the same price point, I would honestly recommend going the route I went, the gaming performance would certainly be much better, of course keeping in consideration power consumption would be higher than just using the 7850k on its own. I love the idea of APUs for a low power system that doesn't require discrete graphics, but the 7790 is an incredibly cheap, quiet, and capable card for 1080p gaming. Those Athlon X4 CPUs are not very well-known or benchmarked, but I can vouch for how fast they are. They are basically Trinity and Richland APUs (750k is Trinity, the 760k is Richland, $10 more on Newegg currently) without the graphics cores built in, perfect if you were going the discrete route anyway.

Just depends on what you are really trying to achieve. Just throwing in my two cents, I was seriously looking forward to the Kaveri APUs, and they are pretty awesome but more future-looking than I think what most folks were expecting them to be able to do in the here and now, especially for their asking price.

Here's some links for you -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113328 - 750k on Newegg $79

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113348 - 760k on Newegg $89

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121727 - Asus 7790 on Newegg $114 with $20 rebate; they no longer sell the MSI 7790

^-- It would be nice if they actually had real TPDs with the disabled GPU.

They may not need to sell Kaveri units with disabled GPU's.

As I understand the old High-K GloFo process was ideally suited for high clocking CPU's but resulted in poor yield on the GPU's.

The new SHP process is what is typically used for GPU's. It results in better GPU yields, higher transistor density, but at the cost of CPU clocks, which is why we see Kaveri clocked lower than Richland.

Based on this they just might not wind up needing to sell a Kaveri part with a disabled GPU.

There will always be process yield issues resulting in various parts being disabled, but the question is if with SHP, if there will be enough units with unusable GPU's to warrant making an Athlon part.

They may well sell kaveri parts with disabled or severely gimped CPU. In the case of clock yields, Call it 45w A6 part and call it a day.

(a good retrofit into a 7730 or such)

Seems like the gpu-less parts are often recommended in various threads. I bet one shows up eventually as a 95w K part again.

Having some RAM issues here. Could be board incompatibility, bad BIOS support or bad RAM. However I've never had bad Mushkin RAM.

MSI A88XM-E45 - The 7850k booted out of the box, however I still updated BIOS. Can't really run the ram over 1600 or I get crashes from copying files or even trying to install/unzip the AMD video drivers. I was even crashing the windows indexing score portion. I think if I run the RAM at 1.8v it will work at 2133 with 13-11-11-31 timings. But that's high.

The MSI board wont let you add CPU vCore, or do much in the way of tuning the RAM voltage. I'm thinking of getting different RAM or getting an Asus board from frys today. The A88XM-PLUS.

Question I haven't been amd for a while you see in my sig IM bored and don't wanna spend alot of money
What cpu could I use that wouldn't be noticble differance I can get a 8350 for a 100$ worth it?

MSI board does not like this RAM. Tried the RAM in my other PC and it's fine. Guess Ill go get new RAM.

Question I haven't been amd for a while you see in my sig IM bored and don't wanna spend alot of money
What cpu could I use that wouldn't be noticble differance I can get a 8350 for a 100$ worth it?

8350 for $100.00 great deal. but don't understand your question... (What cpu could I use that would not be noticeable difference) :confused: you already have a nice rig. Are u saying would it be slower or the same as your 3770? you could always make a new thread on here since this one is about Kaveri.

Just finished my system. Running some tests to make sure the hardware is working correctly.

Specs:

Kaveri 7850K
Asus A88XM-A MB (1003 Bios)
Asus DVD-R Drive
Team 2x4 8GB DDR3-2133 RAM # TLD38G2133HC10QDC01
Coolermaster N200 Case with 4-120mm case fans (overkill)
Windows 7 Pro
WD Black 1TB HD
Mushkin HP-580AP (580 Watt) PSU (Topower Build) Modular. Bought two of these new when they were discontinued for $25.00 each. I know Topower isn't held in the highest regards, but they had been rock-solid for me.

The Asus MB came with the 1003 BIOS out of the box. I think I did ok considering I paid $219.98 plus tax ($233.73 with 6.25% tax from the bleeding heart state of Massachusetts) For the CPU & MB (Microcenter has the best combo deals) BTW, the TEAM RAM is running @ 2133 without an issue so far. I like my cases a tad on the smaller side & I must admit, the Coolermaster N200 is a sharp case for $39.99!

http://www.coolermaster.com/case/mini-tower/n200/

Last edited:
Just finished my system. Running some tests to make sure the hardware is working correctly.

Specs:

Kaveri 7850K
Asus A88XM-A MB (1003 Bios)
Asus DVD-R Drive
Team 2x4 8GB DDR3-2133 RAM # TLD38G2133HC10QDC01
Coolermaster N200 Case with 4-120mm case fans (overkill)
Windows 7 Pro
WD Black 1TB HD
Mushkin HP-580AP (580 Watt) PSU (Topower Build) Modular. Bought two of these new when they we discontinued for $25.00 each. I know Topower isn't held in the highest regards, but they had been rock-solid.

The Asus MB came with the 1003 BIOS out of the box. I think I did ok considering I paid $219.98 plus tax ($233.73 with 6.25% tax from the bleeding heart state of Massachusetts) BTW, the TEAM RAM is running @ 2133 without an issue so far. I like my cases a tad on the smaller side & I must admit, the Coolermaster N200 is a sharp case for $39.99!

http://www.coolermaster.com/case/mini-tower/n200/

where did you get that case for $40.00 would def like to know.

Last edited:
Newegg around Thanksgiving. They even had it $29.99 A/R $10.00 rebate a couple of weeks later. I should have ordered another one as I like it so much. Really a quality case for the money.

Newegg around Thanksgiving. They even had it $29.99 A/R $10.00 rebate a couple of weeks later. I should have ordered another one as I like it so much. Really a quality case for the money.

Nice, I picked up this one. which did not get much love on my thread on the hot deals. hope its nice for my Htcp build.

have not got cpu yet so let us know how your rig is running and some benches would be awesome :D

This is my 1st HTPC build (My 4th overall build) I'm not an overclock madman, as I like things to be stable & with less hassles. BTW...I forgot to mention that I used an older Arctic Cooling "Freezer Pro 64 Pro" HS on this build that I've had on hand for a few years now. This fit the MB/Case with an inch or so to spare. Very quiet!

Still in production:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

2133 RAM on the MSI A88XM-E45 is still not stable. Ignore the previous posts. It is not stable under stress in Prime 95. Will contact MSI on monday to see if they have any BETA BIOS.

2133 RAM on the MSI A88XM-E45 is still not stable. Ignore the previous posts. It is not stable under stress in Prime 95. Will contact MSI on monday to see if they have any BETA BIOS.

Sorry to hear that. Some MB can be picky about RAM. Too bad, because like you, I have used Mushkin most of the time (great company) I bought TEAM RAM for the second time in my life (because it was super cheap @ the time) My Asus MB has no problems with it (yet) Running Memtest overnight to make sure. Post back & let us know what's up.

Hooked-up my new rig via HDMI & it's working like a charm with my Pioneer PDP-6020FD plasma (god...how I love my TV set) Too bad Pioneer got out of the TV business a few years back. They simply made the best plasmas out there, which is now a dying breed. Panasonic has dropped their line as of this year (sigh....)

Anyway...Seems like a great HTPC system so far. Installed a turn-based game called "Age of Wonders II Shadow Magic" & the frame rates are good. Should be as it's an older game, but still I scroll without a hiccup. Running @ stock for now, as there is no need to push it. My set-up was a breeze to build. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it stays that way.

Isn't most of those overclocked and overvolted DRAM a gamble since they're not JEDEC standard?

Isn't most of those overclocked and overvolted DRAM a gamble since they're not JEDEC standard?

Yes. However, MSI should be able to support most RAMs. I'm going to get the Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H. It has optical out, which I want since my receiver doesn't have HDMI. I just hope I don't get any grief with newegg RMA. haha.

OK well for anyone that cares anymore, I don't know where else to post this but I got the Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H setup. More stable at DDR3 2133. Here are some benchmarks of the 7850k @ 4.5 comparing to my 3570k @ 4.5. These are quick and dirty.

I know it's a poor comparison of two systems. But you can see 7850k benchmarks at 4.5 here.
http://wccftech.com/amd-kaveri-a10-7850k-overclocked-45-ghz-benchmarked-a105800k/

I used AIDA64 benches.
System specs
- AMD system
GA-F2A88XM-D3H with 7850k
16GB DDR3 2133 Patriot PV316G213C1KRD
Scythe Big Shuriken Rev B
an SSD and stuff.

CPUZ - http://i.imgur.com/kwvHDi8.png

7850k - for some reason its reporting my timings as 11-11-10-31. They are set to 11-11-11-30
BqmcpPa.png

d70RMfc.png

7850k GPU at 720 MHZ
Tnx8NkV.png

3570k with 7950 at stock
0shghJw.png

I also ran Valley Benchmark with the GPU at 720 then at 800 with CPU still at 4.5 for both runs. I scored 507 and 523 respectively.
I benched 1920x1080, with Ultra setting. No AA.

Kaveri looks good, I'd pick it over Haswell i5.

But it's very disappointing to see the lack of mini-ITX mobos as compared to the Intel platform.

Based on that benchmark, Steamroller's integer performance looks exceptionally poor. There aren't deeply huge use cases for 64-bit integers in high-performance numerical applications, but I don't think that really excuses AMD's poor result there.

The 3570k is certainly a more expensive part, but the 7850k is off by nearly an order of magnitude in that result.

For most people integer and FP are already overkill on Kaveri. I highly doubt the thought ever crosses their mind that they need faster integer or FP but, on the other hand, they definitely want better than crappy Intel IGP.

I highly doubt the thought ever crosses their mind that they need faster integer or FP
Considering the current state of GPU compute and heterogeneous compute in shipping applications, I'd argue that anyone not of the opinion that they need more CPU compute performance per watt or per dollar is either uninterested in performance general (which is fine, really) or is simply ignorant.

Based on that benchmark, Steamroller's integer performance looks exceptionally poor. There aren't deeply huge use cases for 64-bit integers in high-performance numerical applications, but I don't think that really excuses AMD's poor result there.

The 3570k is certainly a more expensive part, but the 7850k is off by nearly an order of magnitude in that result.

Yea, sadly I agree...I don't understand why SR cores seem to perform so poorly..I mean they are faster then Richland/Trinity when clocked at the same speed, but we aren't seeing the ~20% IPC boost AMD is claiming unless I am missing something...

Another thing that is KILLING these APUs is the slow cache...I mean look at the difference between the 7850K @ 4.5Ghz vs the 3570K...The Intel CPU has much, much faster cache, and it seems to have an overall better IMC since we know they can usually handle ram up to 2400~2600Mhz where as the APUs are struggling with 2133Mhz..

I am hoping that AMD will have improved yields with a new stepping in the future..I love AMD as a company, they just have very little funds for R&D..It is amazing what they can do with that tiny budget, but I would really love to see a large cash infusion to get them back to the A64 days...They have plenty of talent, they just need the resources to capitalize on it...

Did you seriously expect an over 100% IPC increase going from Piledriver to Steamroller? Not even the best EE's in the world could pull that off realistically. AMD are stuck riding out the Machinery cores until they finally get Excavator out, and who knows what uarch will follow after that.

And Kaveri bundle pricing is in [Silly eason territory - the priciest Kaveri bundle is the same price as the second-cheapest i5-4670K (Haswell) bundle - $219.95. And - CPU/APU differences aside, which would YOU rather have - the MSI Z87-G41 or the ASUS A88X-PRO?

Clearly the A88X-PRO because the Intel solution has crappy IGP and requires the purchase of a dGPU which is at least another $100 addition.

Back