Kaveri benchmarks(?)

Just about every bench out there isn't anything that shouldn't be taken with grains of salt. Just wait a week or so until AMD shows Kaveri at CES, then we'll know the performance is since the NDA will be lifted and all the sites will post their benches.

I cant seem to open this link, what are the alleged benches saying? Close to an i3?

The link compares it to a 2500k. And if true, it really only uses to the i5 at memory performance.

I cant seem to open this link, what are the alleged benches saying? Close to an i3?

It won a few SHA and compression benches (even multithreaded) versus an i5 2500K at stock. However it lost most of the benches and got beat pretty badly in a few. Although these were not really real world tests so its hard to tell anything.

It won a few SHA and compression benches (even multithreaded) versus an i5 2500K at stock. However it lost most of the benches and got beat pretty badly in a few. Although these were not really real world tests so its hard to tell anything.
The first few tests except AES are a draw sort of but due to the decreased floating point performance all those benches are lost. (AMD's plan is to get those on the gpu in a later stadium of HC)

8 gigs for the 2500 vs 4gigs for the kaveri? what the f..... is the kaveri in single memory channel ?

always gotta take leaked benchmark with a grain of baththub salt.

what the f..... is the kaveri in single memory channel ?

always gotta take leaked benchmark with a grain of baththub salt.

Good point. That could explain the poor results in the memory benchmarks and actually be a bright spot. I mean being able to compete in integer benchmarks when single channel ram was used..

Lol I thought everyone already noticed that for whatever reason, the AMD systems in all the geekbench leaks were seriously memory-crippled. Most of them were using single-channel DDR3-1333 for some reason.

I don't trust those. What is it, 3 days now until CES and we find out for sure?

Of course, but it's always fun to speculate about what things could be. I doubt that anyone is going to base their next processor purchase on a random test without conditions found on the internet.

That score would have been submitted November 21, 2013 based on the submission number. The i5 it's being compared to is one of the bottom 10% of GB3 scores compared to a i5-2500 (non-K) processor. The mean score for the i5-2500 is around 2900/9200 (pulled from the exact middle of the list: http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/299275) vs that 2663/7556 i5-2500K/Win8 comparison system in the OP's link. The i5-2500(k) is coming up on 3 years old soon, so 50% slower single threaded performance and 30% slower MT performance isn't really anything to brag about. It looks like the same old second-rate performance as previous low IPC cores.

While the Kaveri result is probably legit, GB3 just isn't a good system benchmark. We'll see some real world benchmarks soon.

Of course, but it's always fun to speculate about what things could be. I doubt that anyone is going to base their next processor purchase on a random test without conditions found on the internet.

I have been on the edge of pulling the trigger on a new build for a while now. I gave my 930 rig to a friend in need and have been living on my laptop. I don't really do much gaming any more so it's not been too bad, but I really miss the storage and brute strength of a desktop though.

Right now I am torn between an AM3+ or FM2+ rig. I am going to space it out over the next two months or so to give drivers and such time to mature before making my decision. right now it's a 6350 + 270x or A10 7850 and possibly 270x.

Of course the most demanding game I play is RIFT, which plays on my 540m so I don't think it will matter gaming wise which one I pick. I am a multi tasking multi media mongrel though :/

I have been on the edge of pulling the trigger on a new build for a while now. I gave my 930 rig to a friend in need and have been living on my laptop. I don't really do much gaming any more so it's not been too bad, but I really miss the storage and brute strength of a desktop though.

Right now I am torn between an AM3+ or FM2+ rig. I am going to space it out over the next two months or so to give drivers and such time to mature before making my decision. right now it's a 6350 + 270x or A10 7850 and possibly 270x.

Of course the most demanding game I play is RIFT, which plays on my 540m so I don't think it will matter gaming wise which one I pick. I am a multi tasking multi media mongrel though :/

Well the AMD video cards are really great for multimedia as their OpenCL performance is off the charts. That means that you can do your editing and rendering using the power of the video card which frees up the CPU to do other things . It keeps your system resources low and even while rendering you feel like you're doing nothing more than surfing the web.

I wish the Rift developers had chosen a more up to date engine for their game. Did they ever release the multithreaded beta that they have been teasing since nearly launch? I need to try it on my FX-9370 I got for $199 on Black Friday. It ran fine on my FX-8120, but the performance wasn't anything to write home about with max graphics and in a raid. I might reinstall it today for fun. :)

I hope Kyle and the crew get a Kaveri to work over. A good test for it would be to try a MMO as they tend to lean towards single threaded operations. All of the cores in the world can't help you if they are sitting idle twiddling their thumbs.

I will be upgrading my HTPC with Kaveri.

If HTPC is all you want, unless you don't mind upgrade again in 3-4 years, i 'd wait. You see, H265 (HEVC), the successor of H264 for video compression and probably the next "big" standard, is already out and slowly growing. Current GPUs (i assume Kaveri's also), don't support acceleration in H265 yet. But as 4K video becomes more common, so will H265. It allows about x2 the compression of H264, so it will be perfect for 4K video.

When H265 becomes mainstream, all current APUs will become largely obsolete and require discreet GPU to do the video acceleration. Or use very high CPU usage to do the same. In any case, it defeats the purpose of buying APU for HTPC.

EDIT: It's actually worse than i thought. I tried a 4k file compressed with H265 and since my HD6570 doesn't have any acceleration for it, the FX-6300 had to lift all the weight. Well... It didn't go so well... Using LAV as decoder.

2iijwb8.png

And was it fluid? No, it was like trying to play BF4 with a Vodoo 2. :D (well, not that bad, there were moments of almost fluid playback, alternated to stuttering). Very detailed water splashes though, aren't they? :D

For anyone wishing to try his own system:

https://mega.co.nz/#!jcEWmRRC!Hn9qwnVXqn9ApuOhKaX-sUZNS2JvPTBzcRa9LGS33L0

(video from zion158 at doom9 forum)

Good luck, Kaveri!

Last edited:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
NEVER MIND what i said. Seems Kaveri will handle HEVC through HSA?

Rogers then introduced a new video codec called the high efficiency video codec (HEVC or H.265). With this codec up and running, you’ll get videos that have better image quality, regardless of the bitrate. HEVC is computationally more complex but because it was designed to be used in the HSA, it is easier to parallelize.

http://www.hardwarezone.com.my/feature-amd-apu13-day-1-heterogeneous-computing-future

slide-13-638.jpg

slide-14-638.jpg

slide-15-638.jpg

http://www.hardwarezone.com.my/feature-amd-apu13-day-1-heterogeneous-computing-future

Ill be coming from a ddr2 amd system. Anything would help. But good info on HEVC. ty

Ill be coming from a ddr2 amd system. Anything would help. But good info on HEVC. ty

Well, don't rush anything. Wait for Kaveri to come out and wait till you read in reviews, that it supports HEVC acceleration with good performance. Once you do, go ahead and buy.

Pretty excited about HEVC. Kaveri will be popular for that due to HSA.

Intel iGPU's aren't exactly lacking in openCL performance to code up a custom HEVC decoder without direct hardware support.

HSA might help a ton with workflow speeds though.

CKhOGv3.jpg

Wow Kaveri is pretty gigantic (I mean mm^2, not the not to scale micrograph :p) for that price segment. Margins probably won't be very good.

I'm ready to pull the trigger on one of these and a new FM2+ board. I wonder how much longer until we see pre-orders from major e-tailers...

Out on a limb but I'd wager these won't be as overclockable on the CPU side.

Out on a limb but I'd wager these won't be as overclockable on the CPU side.

In December, Biostar had an image of their guys doing LN2 overclocking with Kaveri. I'm quite sure that if it had to be a decent overclocker to warrant LN2 attempts.

^The memory results are particularly encouraging.
Those appear to be single channel memory results on the Intel system (4GB + 2GB installed, depending on where the memory was allocated it could be running in single channel model... the horrible results suggest it was) and it's a dual core laptop. :p

This is the slowest low power (65W, 2.7/3.2) desktop i5 Ivy Bridge: http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/compare/334086?baseline=326781, or if you must find the absolute slowest ultra low power (45W, 2.3/3.3) desktop i5 Ivy Bridge: http://browser.primatelabs.com/geekbench3/compare/130380?baseline=326781 . Different results from that dual core i5 laptop linked a couple of posts up, but it might be interesting if you want to compare a quad core i5 to a quad core A10-7850.

Sometimes a pig's ear in CPU performance is just a pig's ear. I already posted above how far back you need to go to get the level of A10-7850K's single threaded performance in GB3 (Pentium G840, a cut down Sandy Bridge CPU running at 2.8GHz max released in early 2011). In single threaded GB performance, it takes a 4GHz (turbo speed) Steamroller core to about equal a 2.8GHz (G840 has no turbo) cut down Sandy Bridge core. Ouch, return of Netburst. lol

Not that I endorse GB in any way. It's a lousy system benchmark. We'll get better reviews in just 3 more days.

Someone over at Xtreme brought this up
Kaveri_Trinity_2014-01-07.jpg

The idea being that kaveri has a quad channel interface ready for use. FM3 or perhaps the opteron variant may use it.
Take with a grain of salt, but those die shots are both official.

Shit, if AMD have shoe-horned in a quad-channel MC that we weren't told about, what else can we expect? A 256-bit memory interface would greatly bump up the ceiling on the IGPU, and unleash even more HSA features..

Is it just me, or could AMD fit 12 cores (6 modules) in that die-space if they were to get rid of the igp portion... There wouldn't be any L3 cache, but still: 12 cores would smash an i5, HSA or not.

Yeah, if they wanted to do an FX APU i'd rather just see one extra module and cut down GPU (1 or 2 CU's), then they can stick HSA into FX at least.

Or just a ridiculous huge chip with 4 modules and 1024 shaders.

First Kaveri overclocked benchmarks here: http://foro.noticias3d.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=421821 A10-7800K running at 4.45GHz, memory at DDR3-2544, iGPU @ 1151MHz.

Someone over at Xtreme brought this up
http://www.chip-architect.com/news/Kaveri_Trinity_2014-01-07.jpg[/I MG]
[/QUOTE]It makes sense that AMD might make a new socket/BGA spec to take advantage of all 4 memory channels. AM3 doesn't have quad channel capability. Kaveri chips supporting quad channel could be BGA only for some type of high density HPC applications.

If AMD hadn't stated it was skipping DDR4 for now, my first impression would have been that Kaveri supports both DDR3 and DDR4 (as pointed out at B3D, the Phenom II with DDR2/DDR3 support has a similar "4 channel" memory interface).

If HTPC is all you want, unless you don't mind upgrade again in 3-4 years, i 'd wait. You see, H265 (HEVC), the successor of H264 for video compression and probably the next "big" standard, is already out and slowly growing. Current GPUs (i assume Kaveri's also), don't support acceleration in H265 yet. But as 4K video becomes more common, so will H265. It allows about x2 the compression of H264, so it will be perfect for 4K video.

H.265 is closer to about 50% better compression, on average. So you could either have smaller file size/less bitrate and retain basically the same image quality, or if you used the same bitrate/file size, you'd have better image quality.

If H.265 actually offered twice the compression, the Blu-ray group wouldn't have to work so hard on new discs with larger capacity.

*and, due to the highly programmable nature of current and recent videocards. I Imagine AMD and Nvidia will be able to add H.265 acceleration to many of their existing cards/APUs.

First Kaveri overclocked benchmarks here: http://foro.noticias3d.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=421821 A10-7800K running at 4.45GHz, memory at DDR3-2544, iGPU @ 1151MHz.

It makes sense that AMD might make a new socket/BGA spec to take advantage of all 4 memory channels. AM3 doesn't have quad channel capability. Kaveri chips supporting quad channel could be BGA only for some type of high density HPC applications.

If AMD hadn't stated it was skipping DDR4 for now, my first impression would have been that Kaveri supports both DDR3 and DDR4 (as pointed out at B3D, the Phenom II with DDR2/DDR3 support has a similar "4 channel" memory interface).

I like how their OC broke 1 teraflop. Damned impressive for one cheap chip. (even if gpu's have been 1+ TFlop for years)

Back