Kaspersky Lab Under U.S. Scrutiny for Russian Government Ties

Bees

[H]ard|Gawd
In a classified briefing with FBI and Homeland Security officials, the U.S. Senate Intelligence Committee reportedly discussed growing concerns in relation to cybersecurity firm Kaspersky Lab. The Moscow, Russia-based company has created these concerns in the Senate due to apparent previous relationships with Russian intelligence and military, coupled with the sheer install base of their software.

Current and former U.S. officials worry that state-sponsored hackers could try to exploit Kaspersky Lab's anti-virus software to steal and manipulate users' files, read private emails or attack critical infrastructure in the U.S.

... The Senate Intelligence Committee raised possible red flags about Kaspersky Lab and urged the intelligence community to address potential risks posed by the company's powerful market position.

U.S. agencies have yet to publicize evidence connecting Kaspersky Lab directly to the Russian government, which makes sense during these early investigation stages. The private company released a statement condemning these allegations, referring to their long history in the IT security realm.

As a private company, Kaspersky Lab has no ties to any government, and the company has never helped, nor will help, any government in the world with its cyberespionage efforts. ... The company has a 20-year history in the IT security industry of always abiding by the highest ethical business practices, and Kaspersky Lab believes it is completely unacceptable that the company is being unjustly accused without any hard evidence to back up these false allegations.

Until any evidence of government connection is released, it is difficult to say definitively if the Senate Intelligence Committee's claims are unfounded. With the amount of Russian involvement in recent news, one can question if these briefings are legitimate or additional momentum towards a new red scare.

Thanks to Kyle for this story.

Putin-Balloon-Animal.gif

Current and former U.S. officials worry that state-sponsored hackers could try to exploit Kaspersky Lab's anti-virus software to steal and manipulate users' files, read private emails or attack critical infrastructure in the U.S.

This cracks me up. Some of the "state sponsored" hackers trying to manipulate Kaspersky is the US CIA. If anyone actually dug through the files in the latest WikiLeaks, there were dozens of tech docs explaining just that.

That being said, if the CIA is doing it, everybody is.

Either way, I still don't care as I refuse to use it. Kaspersky has routinely caused me headaches while working for tech support. It does some strange things on many logins on https websites. About once every 6 months they will issue a patch that completely fucks everything up and I will have to deal with phone calls from customers for days.

HHAHAHAHHAHAH, this is really pointing eyes in the wrong direction. Any anti-virus that can scan your files, confirm your SSL connection, URL checks, prevent malware attacks, etc is nothing but a security and privacy issue. For example, there really is no difference between Kaspersky cloud and whatever protections and Microsoft's Window Defender. Beside why is Microsoft so keen on providing free protection for you anyways, hmn? Does it really stop the bahd-litwil-viwus?? Not to sound all tin foil but really that computer/mobile phone/tablet/etc is nothing but a big back door for anyone. Oh, and BTW, why are they making a big deal about Russia with software when most of the digital devices are frabricated and even assembled in China? Shit man......as said in Office Space:

Last edited by a moderator:
HHAHAHAHHAHAH, this is really pointing eyes in the wrong direction. Any anti-virus that can scan your files, confirm your SSL connection, URL checks, prevent malware attacks, etc is nothing but a security and privacy issue. For example, there really is no difference between Kaspersky cloud and whatever protections and Microsoft's Window Defender. Beside why is Microsoft so keen on providing free protection for you anyways, hmn? Does it really stop the bahd-litwil-viwus?? Not to sound all tin foil but really that computer/mobile phone/tablet/etc is nothing but a big back door for anyone. Oh, and BTW, why are they making a big deal about Russia with software when most of the digital devices arefrabricated and even assembled in China? Shit man......as said in Office Space:

Lmao right? This shit has been going on for years....i attended a networking conference like 3 years ago and the guy said that there are some companies that sell USB storage rives that have malware already installed on them. A "clean" brand new device......so the manufacturer actually had put the stuff on there prior to packaging. None of this should come of a surprise to anyone with an eye on cyber-security over the year few years.

Well, I don't use Kaspersky. But a while back my daughter asked me to remove it from her PC. Huh? So, that's when I found out that it doesn't come off easily. It was a bougher to get it completely off. Maybe easier today.

HHAHAHAHHAHAH, this is really pointing eyes in the wrong direction. Any anti-virus that can scan your files, confirm your SSL connection, URL checks, prevent malware attacks, etc is nothing but a security and privacy issue. For example, there really is no difference between Kaspersky cloud and whatever protections and Microsoft's Window Defender. Beside why is Microsoft so keen on providing free protection for you anyways, hmn? Does it really stop the bahd-litwil-viwus?? Not to sound all tin foil but really that computer/mobile phone/tablet/etc is nothing but a big back door for anyone. Oh, and BTW, why are they making a big deal about Russia with software when most of the digital devices arefrabricated and even assembled in China? Shit man......as said in Office Space:

That and windows indexing... Always scanning your shit.

US getting in a deep state of paranoia. I just don't know if its fabricated to knock out trump or its real... I think its the former... Any computer company or software will have government hands on it.. nothing special about Russia of us here really, we just like to be lied to, but it has to be a good high quality lie.

US getting in a deep state of paranoia. I just don't know if its fabricated to knock out trump or its real... I think its the former... Any computer company or software will have government hands on it.. nothing special about Russia of us here really, we just like to be lied to, but it has to be a good high quality lie.

The paranoia though has backfired.

The US media has crossed The Uncanny Valley in a sense in that it doesn't look natural to the average person anymore and media distrust is that an all-time high.

Because of the constant state of panic coming from the media from minute one of This president's term most ordinary people are just worn out and feel like they're barking at the Moon. Boy Who Cried Wolf.

And frankly based on polling and numbers the whole Russia story has failed to change anybody's mind. Ironic that it came out earlier this month that the whole thing was created by podesta and Robby Mook 30 minutes after Hillary lost the election to explain why they lost.

Well, I don't use Kaspersky. But a while back my daughter asked me to remove it from her PC. Huh? So, that's when I found out that it doesn't come off easily. It was a bougher to get it completely off. Maybe easier today.

I have it on my wife's system and have never had any issue uninstalling it from the control panel. This is last 2 eyars. May have been different before.

well kapersky is having a rough bit of lately , russia locks up one of its researchers. Now the U.S. accusing them of conspiracy.

i guess soon we will only be able to use microshaft approved av on our computers that come with US GOV seal of approval.

The paranoia though has backfired.

And frankly based on polling and numbers the whole Russia story has failed to change anybody's mind. Ironic that it came out earlier this month that the whole thing was created by podesta and Robby Mook 30 minutes after Hillary lost the election to explain why they lost.

What are you talking about? The connection to Russia came up during the debates even.

I stopped using Kaspersky when I read their goals for internet security and control. The internet passport stuff is particularly scary.

Better yet, what evidence have you heard of that shows trump and russia ties?

You already sound pretty sure it's all made up so I'm trying to understand how you are so confident of that. Surely you must already be familiar with the mainstream reporting if you're that confident. So I'm trying to understand where that confidence comes from. I mean, we have grand juries already seated http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/09/politics/grand-jury-fbi-russia/ and subpoenaing evidence so it's not just my opinion that there's suspicious activity. Here's the Senate intelligent committee unanimously issuing a subpoena (that committee is headed by a Republican, btw) http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/s...bpoena-powers-in-russia-probe/article/2624186 .

So, people in the know seem to see smoke, even ones who personally benefit from the Russia thing being fake. Why are you convinced it's fake when those with access to classified information we don't know aren't?

You already sound pretty sure it's all made up so I'm trying to understand how you are so confident of that. Surely you must already be familiar with the mainstream reporting if you're that confident. So I'm trying to understand where that confidence comes from. I mean, we have grand juries already seated http://www.cnn.com/2017/05/09/politics/grand-jury-fbi-russia/ and subpoenaing evidence so it's not just my opinion that there's suspicious activity. Here's the Senate intelligent committee unanimously issuing a subpoena (that committee is headed by a Republican, btw) http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/s...bpoena-powers-in-russia-probe/article/2624186 .

So, people in the know seem to see smoke, even ones who personally benefit from the Russia thing being fake. Why are you convinced it's fake when those with access to classified information we don't know aren't?
You are using the idea that just because an investigation is happening that alone is enough proof of wrong doing.
It's a silly stance to take.
Pointing to things that are unknown doesn't make it credible. You've already made up your mind however which is sad.

You are using the idea that just because an investigation is happening that alone is enough proof of wrong doing.

Obviously we don't have *proof* at this point or else things would be in a different state than they currently are. But obviously there is credible evidence or grand juries wouldn't be seated. Obviously there is evidence or Republican led committees wouldn't be subpoenaing information.

Give me another explanation about why the Senate Intelligence Committee is subpoenaing information which could only serve to ensnare Republicans.

I'm pointing to the investigation *escalating* as evidence that people are finding things. If there is nothing further to see then the investigation would be closed. If there is more to look into then people start asking for information (such as from Flynn or Page). If those people refuse to provide that information then subpoenas are issued. If those people refuse to honor the subpoenas then.... they start flirting with contempt of Congress and *jail time* for something you say is made up and which they could clear themselves of by just providing the requested information. Odd way for innocent men to behave you have to admit.

Why do innocent men refuse to honor subpoenas?

Pointing to things that are unknown doesn't make it credible. You've already made up your mind however which is sad.

The Washington Examiner, a right wing trash newspaper, finds it credible. Fox News finds it credible that Flynn broke the law http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/04/25/former-trump-aide-flynn-may-have-broken-law-lawmakers-say.html . Why do these trash salt-right publications find this credible enough yet you won't trust them?

This is why I asked at the beginning where you were getting your information from. Are you actually attempting to inform yourself on this issue or do you prefer to imagine that it's a witch hunt invented by the Democrats. A witch hunt which is *advancing* despite the Republicans being in charge of both houses of Congress and all the relevant committees.

It makes no sense for these investigations to proceed if they are just a witch hunt invented by the Democrats when the Republicans could legitimately end the investigation with the stroke of a pen.

Here's *Breitbart* of all places reporting on this http://www.breitbart.com/news/trump-transition-raised-flags-about-flynn-russia-contacts/ for fucks sake.

LOL the Russia thing is all made up. That's why pretty much every Trump advisor met with them and then lied about it. It's why they fired the acting AG and FBI director. It's all a fabrication. Its why Trump's son in law tried to establish a secret communications channel to Moscow using Russian equipment. Where there's smoke there's nothing.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Reactions: ncjoe
like this
LOL the Russia thing is all made up. That's why pretty much every Trump advisor met with them and then lied about it. It's why they fired the acting AG and FBI director. It's all a fabrication. Its why Trump's son in law tried to establish a secret communications channel to Moscow using Russian equipment. Where there's smoke there's nothing.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOL

I hope they nail that Kushner guy, he's a dirty rat.

If the police are interviewing you in relation to a crime that they think you've committed and they have enough evidence around it to actually interview you about it... you can be pretty damn sure it's jail time. This is the same thing on a bigger platform. the only thing that's going to keep trump out of jail is if he resigns or spends hundreds of millions of his own money on bribery and defense.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOL

The problem it's all been smoke. Most of these people lie to minimize the criticism and especially to hide embarrassing disclosures like work as lobbyists or shills for corporations to earn cash, but when that's exposed it becomes even bigger. Long story short, years down the line, all we'll have is people getting crucified or tried for lying about stuff that is more embarrassing than sinister or illegal.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOL
The AG was fired because she went against the "muslim ban". The FBI director was a twat and no one liked him. The democrats were calling for his resignation months ago.
If the police are interviewing you in relation to a crime that they think you've committed and they have enough evidence around it to actually interview you about it... you can be pretty damn sure it's jail time. This is the same thing on a bigger platform. the only thing that's going to keep trump out of jail is if he resigns or spends hundreds of millions of his own money on bribery and defense.
Police interview everyone and everything when investigating an alleged crime. It's not a measure of guilt.

I don't care if kusher or flynn broke the law. If they did, they should be put in jail. That in no way means Trump did anything. If you're pushing for guilty by association, then you're 65 years too late. I mean literally you're talking about trump and Russia ties, then point to his cabinet members as proof. I personally couldn't give two shits if he did have Russian ties, as long as he didn't break the law.

The AG was fired because she went against the "muslim ban". The FBI director was a twat and no one liked him. The democrats were calling for his resignation months ago.

Police interview everyone and everything when investigating an alleged crime. It's not a measure of guilt.

I don't care if kusher or flynn broke the law. If they did, they should be put in jail. That in no way means Trump did anything. If you're pushing for guilty by association, then you're 65 years too late. I mean literally you're talking about trump and Russia ties, then point to his cabinet members as proof. I personally couldn't give two shits if he did have Russian ties, as long as he didn't break the law.

Is it warm... Are you comfortable? I couldn't breath with my head so far in the sand but however you're comfortable. More power to you. About the only reason Trump would be innocent of this stuff is if he was too stupid to realize it was happening and not stop it. Otherwise if he knew it was happening and benefited from it... I believe we are talking about RICO standards then.

If you are not familiar RICO is used in cases of organized crime. I won't say Trump is a mob leader.. but lets just say he leads a large group of people with unscrupulous methods and we can only hope, is aware of their methods.

When these people do illegal activity that benefits the person in charge. Lets just say that's Trump in this case. That person in charge is held to the same standards of legal liability as those under his or her leadership.

Do I expect Trump to go to jail over all of this. No... I think he is too rich for that to stick. And I honestly believe if it came to that he would flee to a country without extradition and access his wealth to live his remaining years in comfort.

So if Kushner and or Flynn broke the law, and Trump benefited from it, and it can be reasonably proven that he knew what they were doing. He is going to the same jail they would be. We have the law in the books for that.

Of course he might then be the first MOB boss president we've had.

I notice you ignored my reply. I'm sure it's because you didn't see it. It's a few places back in this thread. I'll wait for your well reasoned response.

Is it warm... Are you comfortable? I couldn't breath with my head so far in the sand but however you're comfortable. More power to you. About the only reason Trump would be innocent of this stuff is if he was too stupid to realize it was happening and not stop it. Otherwise if he knew it was happening and benefited from it... I believe we are talking about RICO standards then.

If you are not familiar RICO is used in cases of organized crime. I won't say Trump is a mob leader.. but lets just say he leads a large group of people with unscrupulous methods and we can only hope, is aware of their methods.

When these people do illegal activity that benefits the person in charge. Lets just say that's Trump in this case. That person in charge is held to the same standards of legal liability as those under his or her leadership.

Do I expect Trump to go to jail over all of this. No... I think he is too rich for that to stick. And I honestly believe if it came to that he would flee to a country without extradition and access his wealth to live his remaining years in comfort.

So if Kushner and or Flynn broke the law, and Trump benefited from it, and it can be reasonably proven that he knew what they were doing. He is going to the same jail they would be. We have the law in the books for that.

Hypergrealthing won't commit to any sources of information he will trust so he can just constantly dismiss anything you write. He's just going to move the goalposts. First it was invented after the election. Then it was at the second debate. Now he doesn't care who's involved as long as it's not Trump. Once Flynn fingers him (Flynn is talking to the FBI trying to cut a deal as I type) it will be he needs a figurative smoking gun. Once that is shown he'll ask for a literal smoking gun and on and on.

Notice how casually he dismisses Comey's firing with the claim that he was so strongly disliked, despite the fact that that point could be easily disproven once he committed to a news source he'd accept.

I'll wait until the conclusion of the investigation until i make a personal judgement. There's no smoking evidence of wrong doing as far as i care. Unless you're in the know somehow, i doubt you have any more info that i don't have access to.

I notice you ignored my reply. I'm sure it's because you didn't see it. It's a few places back in this thread. I'll wait for your well reasoned response.
I ignored it. The intelligence committee subpoenaing stuff means they're still in the discovery phase. It's a political game. If it was a real case with hard evidence, it would of went to the fbi for prosecution and there would be federal indictments. Since there is none as of yet, it's silly to use that as a example of wrongdoing. They can escalate it all they want, until indictments are issued, it's not an issue.

Again, i stated i don't care about flynn. He can fry for all i care. Unless there's evidence that links flynn's action with trump's orders, then i don't see charges against trump.

Russia had no involvement in the election. If you really believe that Russia was behind the podesta email leak, even though wikileaks has proven that the nsa has the means to leave digital signatures for almost any other country and believe the inteligence agencies which have lied to congress under oath, then i feel sorry for you. I don't believe the leaks had to be Russian done, and even if they were, it was a blessing to see how awful Hillary was running her campaign.

Sorry, i truly am solid Democrat voter, but this feels like a hunt... Honestly rich people meeting rich people oohhh ahhh so rare... Russian , Iranian, Chinese, Syrian,... Its what rich people do, they meet, many times they tap dance around the law, typically wipe their butts with morals. I would not say its okay, it's not that.. its that this is what it is regardless of leanings.. so this feels more like divide among rich families playing out with puppets, propaganda and all. Centrists lost with Hillary, and trump is unacceptable and dangerous, hence this made up shit. They keep calling elections hacking.. really? With tools as basic as nigerian scan stuff, and suddenly Russia is an information superpower, yet dumb enough lo leave fuckin Russia text in the file dumps. Russia the information super power that the police fell victim of the wanna cry stuff. Again the super hack, a dumb ass email.
If this moves works and trump is out, I expect all this smoke to magically disappear.

Sorry, i truly am solid Democrat voter, but this feels like a hunt... Honestly rich people meeting rich people oohhh ahhh so rare... Russian , Iranian, Chinese, Syrian,... Its what rich people do, they meet, many times they tap dance around the law, typically wipe their butts with morals. I would not say its okay, it's not that.. its that this is what it is regardless of leanings.. so this feels more like divide among rich families playing out with puppets, propaganda and all. Centrists lost with Hillary, and trump is unacceptable and dangerous, hence this made up shit. They keep calling elections hacking.. really? With tools as basic as nigerian scan stuff, and suddenly Russia is an information superpower, yet dumb enough lo leave fuckin Russia text in the file dumps. Russia the information super power that the police fell victim of the wanna cry stuff. Again the super hack, a dumb ass email.
If this moves works and trump is out, I expect all this smoke to magically disappear.
Basically trump isn't part of the political ruling class. He's not skull and bones. An outsider is going to get push back from both parties. He was a joke candidate that, if you read podesta's emails, Hillary's team promoted because they felt he would have been her best opposing candidate. The way the polls worked and the media was promoting, he had no chance to win.
They're stooping to new lows with this. If the smoke is enough for him to be ousted, i suspect that it'll change american politics for good. Both sides will never rest until crap is made up and the president is somehow ousted.

The FBI director was a twat and no one liked him. The democrats were calling for his resignation months ago.
Comey is a POS but the circumstances under which he was fired are blatantly Nixonian.

If Trump was actually serious about the public reasons he gave for firing Comey he could've, and should've, done it shortly after getting elected. Given that Trump has, in private, already admitted to firing Comey to get the heat off of him + tried to obstruct the investigation multiple times, in of itself a serious issue, its only reasonable to be suspicious of him.

That in no way means Trump did anything. If you're pushing for guilty by association, then you're 65 years too late.
Its not guilt by association. Those 2 are some of Trump's key flunkies who supposedly are super loyal and do whatever he asks virtually all the time. And Trump only picks the best right?

Plenty of people in the Trump/GOP camp were saying that sort of thing about Clinton during the election not too long ago. And there was less evidence on Clinton than there has been on Trump so far.

Basically trump isn't part of the political ruling class. He's not skull and bones. An outsider is going to get push back from both parties.
Hahahahah WHHHAAT?!

He is a freakin' billionaire who had close ties to the Clintons for around a decade at least. You're only fooling yourself if you think he is a outsider. He is an outsider as much as McCain is a maverick.

Heck he is even working with Wall St. Goldman Sachs scum to privatize much of our infrastructure which was paid for with public money so they can charge us extra to use it for profit.

Sorry, i truly am solid Democrat voter, but this feels like a hunt...
"Feels" isn't something you can go on at all. Especially when there is plenty of evidence. If you don't think there is any evidence or that its weak you're sticking your head in the sand.

Last edited:
Back