Kangaroo Plus (Windows 7 install possible?)

horrorshow

Lakewood Original
So, I was doing some volunteer IT work at my church and the head of the department just handed this to me at the end of the day. All like, "I bought this as an experiment, here ya go."

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16856659001

Currently, it has Windows 10 Pro 64-bit on it. It's a neat little piece of kit, but I'm thinking it might be of better use with a Windows 7 32-bit install? (Less RAM usage etc. Since it only has 4GB)

Does anyone have any experience with Compute Sticks / Kangaroos?

Google hasn't been much help. I'm assuming a USB ISO install but tips/links would be nice so I don't potentially muck it up....

As always [H],
Thanks - Horrorshow, Matt

I played with one a work, I kept it @ windows 10. some research i did there was driver problems going to 7.

Windows 7 isn't officially supported on Atom SoCs. I've looked into Windows 7 on such hardware and have pretty much come up empty. I've been curious about it because I wanted to do some benchmarking.

Without support from Intel it's pretty much a non-starter. Windows 10 runs very well now on my Surface 3, which is a step down from Kangaroos, but a step up from the Bay Trail devices I have where 10 runs as well. There is a 32-bit version of Windows 10. I doubt you'd get much benefit if any going to 32 bit Windows 10.

Intel doesn't even make Windows 7 drivers for those Atom models. The short answer is it's not supported and will be missing major hardware support if you installed Windows 7 on it.

Intel doesn't even make Windows 7 drivers for those Atom models. The short answer is it's not supported and will be missing major hardware support if you installed Windows 7 on it.

I have a retail version of Windows 7 Ultimate, so would it at least do a very basic install, enough in order to upgrade to Windows 10?

Last edited:
Back